Do your menus flicker in VR mode?

derammo

Does everyone see a flickering mess when looking at the text of the main menu and the pre-flight mission briefing screens? If I compare what I see in the DCS menus to any other VR application, the text looks like a flickering mess for some reason. The edges of all the letters shimmer like a graphics bug where subpixel rendering is just plain wrong.

In case you are wondering, I am using an HTC Vive Pro on RTX 2080 with 2x MSAA and 8x Anisotropic Filtering. I am using equivalent settings in other VR programs with no problems.

Is this just frame interpolation noise caused by dropping frames and having SteamVR try to fix it? If so, it is very surprising to me that I get this flickering on interpolation between frames that basically don't change (I am staring at a static scene showing the menu, trying to move as little as possible.)

Anyways, is this a common experience?

Nope, shouldn't be. Haven't experienced that with neither O+ nor HP Reverb.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Do you mean the loading screens? If so yes, if not then no.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I get a ridic amount of flickering during loading which is pretty annoying tbh

But it's normal and okay, because if you turn that feature off in Steam VR, those menus make me sick to my stomach otherwise. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I've gotten exactly the same shimmering/flickering of the text in the menus when I was using my Rift CV1, but it seems to me that it was brought on with a DCS update, and later fixed by a subsequent update. I found that when I had the shimmering/flickering of the text in the menus that I could make it go away by turning MSAA off. But that was a long time ago. I thought that issue was fixed. Try turning your MSAA off, just as an experiment, and see what it does.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Other than the flickering screen during loading, no I do not see any menu or text flickering in the game.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 months later...

I have that all the time it's pretty annoying, I flicker sometimes only on one eyes and even if you close your eyes you still have like a stromboscope through eyelids! I'm wondering if ED will start to investigate on it for once :/ DCS is really not optimized for VR, I can't believe they don't improve on this support which is for sure the future of simulation. Yesterday I played a F16 mission, there were some fog on ground. This fog was flickering all the mission long, it was just unplayable except if you're ok to finish in a mental asylum before the end of mission. I gave up and stop using DCS, once again after multiple hundered box of investment in modules it's pretty frustrating. I don't even speak about "DCS has crashed" message which happen pretty often!

Other than the flickering screen during loading, no I do not see any menu or text flickering in the game.

+1 on this .

I gave up and stop using DCS, once again after multiple hundered box of investment in modules it's pretty frustrating. I don't even speak about "DCS has crashed" message which happen pretty often!

If most people don't have their DCS crash and your does i don't think you can trow the ball over to ED to find a solution but you have to look at your own system (instability) instead.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I don't have flickering menus , I do have flickering loading screens.

DCS falling over in the loading screen is likely to be the result of a marginally unstable overclock IME.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Loading screen only, annoying.

Menu, sim ect is ok.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 10 months later...

I did not have flickering screen with my Rift S, now with Reverb G2 yes during loading.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Does everyone see a flickering mess when looking at the text of the main menu and the pre-flight mission briefing screens? If I compare what I see in the DCS menus to any other VR application, the text looks like a flickering mess for some reason. The edges of all the letters shimmer like a graphics bug where subpixel rendering is just plain wrong.

In case you are wondering, I am using an HTC Vive Pro on RTX 2080 with 2x MSAA and 8x Anisotropic Filtering. I am using equivalent settings in other VR programs with no problems.

Is this just frame interpolation noise caused by dropping frames and having SteamVR try to fix it? If so, it is very surprising to me that I get this flickering on interpolation between frames that basically don't change (I am staring at a static scene showing the menu, trying to move as little as possible.)

When I had a Vive Pro, I saw none of that. Something not right there.

Regarding WMR flickering loading screens, it's always been that way. Been many threads about it in the past, and ED have done nothing to fix it. DCS is the only VR app that I have experienced this issue with on WMR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For what it's worth, I get this like crazy in that other WWII sim we're not allowed to name. Happened to me with my CV1, and now also with my newly arrived G2. Feels like some sort of Clockwork Orange style brain zapping if you don't close your eyes.

Point being, this doesn't seem to be DCS-specific.

For what it's worth, I get this like crazy in that other WWII sim we're not allowed to name. Happened to me with my CV1, and now also with my newly arrived G2. Feels like some sort of Clockwork Orange style brain zapping if you don't close your eyes.

Point being, this doesn't seem to be DCS-specific.

With my Reverb G2, it is not DCS specific.

Don B

Interesting. The only time I have seen this with all the headsets I’ve owned and all the games I’ve played is on DCS and the Reverb. I was under the impression it was a WMR thing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...

I first must say I REALLY LIKE VR. Great fun!

I get the flickering when a mission is loading in DCS. Not in the mission itself. I think it is DCS specific. I dont get flickering in MS FS 2020. I use HMD Odessey Plus with 2 controllers I have a MSI Laptop I7 10750H and a Nvidia 1660TI 64 GB at 2666 Mhz and 1.5TB SSD storage.

Edited by Phoenix_VMF257

Interesting. The only time I have seen this with all the headsets I’ve owned and all the games I’ve played is on DCS and the Reverb. I was under the impression it was a WMR thing.
Same here, never happened with any oculus device (cv1 and rift s)

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Phoenix_VMF257 said:

I first must say I REALLY LIKE VR. Great fun!

I get the flickering when a mission is loading in DCS. Not in the mission itself. I think it is DCS specific. I dont get flickering in MS FS 2020. I use HMD Odessey Plus with 2 controllers I have a MSI Laptop I7 10750H and a Nvidia 1660TI 64 GB at 2666 Mhz and 1.5TB SSD storage.

Well with MSFS 2020 you don't really load the game in VR like we do with DCS, you change it to VR after the game is already loaded.

Same thing happens on loading screen of IL-2 Great Battles as well so it is not specific to just DCS.

Don B

16 hours ago, dburne said:

Well with MSFS 2020 you don't really load the game in VR like we do with DCS, you change it to VR after the game is already loaded.

Same thing happens on loading screen of IL-2 Great Battles as well so it is not specific to just DCS.

Is IL-2 SteamVR based though?

49 minutes ago, imacken said:

Is IL-2 SteamVR based though?

It can be if you buy it through Steam. No if you buy it direct from the developers.

Mine is not Steam version. But I do use Steam VR since I have the Reverb G2.

Edited by dburne

Don B