HOTAS function table and some other questions

falcon_120

I would like any SME or any official source from ED to provide me (us :)) with some further insights regarding what are the true F18 HOTAS functionalities that are still missing and will be implemented.

What I want is NOT a layout of the Hornet HOTAS buttons and what they do, I have already seen several pictures of this. What I'm asking for, if it even exist, is a table that explain what each button (SCS, WCS, raid button...) does depending of what sensor is SOI. To put it more clear, is there anything similar to the A10C HOTAS functionality table?

In addition to this, I would love to understand if some functionality (see list below) I've heard of from a pletora of sources is true and we'll see it or not further down the road:

-Bringing up the particular DDI pages, e.g. RDR attack page or the store page by successive presses of SCS Right/Left (Depending on which one is SOI, e.g: Twice SCS left will bring up the Store page in RDR attack is SOI in the left DDI)

-Selecting or marking a target via the JHMCS

-Changing radar modes

-Calling the FLIR page

These are some of them that come to my mind right now.

Finally, this IS NOT A WISHLIST, Im not asking for this functionality, instead, I´m kindly asking any dev or SME what we should still see in our F18C lot20 hornet according to the real one.

Thanks!

(Not an SME or dev just sharing what I think/know)

- I believe we're supposed to be able to bring up the RDR ATTK and STORES via the Sensor Control Switch. Azimuth/Elevation as well (first Stores, then can switch for Az/El). Also bringing up and swapping the HSI / SA on the MPCD.

- Target designation with the JHMCS will be done via the air-to-ground radar's Air-to-Ground Ranging (AGR) function I believe. You will assign TDC to the HUD/HMD (they're sorta the same thing in the Hornet avionics), then just point where you want and TDC depress.

- I don't think the FLIR format can be accessed with the HOTAS.

(Not an SME or dev just sharing what I think/know)

- I believe we're supposed to be able to bring up the RDR ATTK and STORES via the Sensor Control Switch. Azimuth/Elevation as well (first Stores, then can switch for Az/El). Also bringing up and swapping the HSI / SA on the MPCD.

- Target designation with the JHMCS will be done via the air-to-ground radar's Air-to-Ground Ranging (AGR) function I believe. You will assign TDC to the HUD/HMD (they're sorta the same thing in the Hornet avionics), then just point where you want and TDC depress.

- I don't think the FLIR format can be accessed with the HOTAS.

Thanks! I wish some dev could validate those points.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Not sure how real this is, but the big one outside of what you listed is changing the distance on the radar. It can be very inconvenient during a fight to have to free up my stick hand to touch buttons on the DDI.

The other one mentioned is HSI / SA page swap on the AMPCD.

The current configuration is not as HOTAS friendly as I think the real jet is.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Not sure how real this is, but the big one outside of what you listed is changing the distance on the radar. It can be very inconvenient during a fight to have to free up my stick hand to touch buttons on the DDI.

Slew the radar cursor to the edge of the DDI and click on the higher or lower range.

You can change # of bars and width the same way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Actually you already have this, just slew the TDC to the top or bottom axis and the range will automatically increase or decrease respectively. Quite handy.

Actually you already have this, just slew the TDC to the top or bottom axis and the range will automatically increase or decrease respectively. Quite handy.

You have to quickly slew outside and then inside of the radar scope to change the scale, doesn't work if you just slew to the edge. For example, you need to do a ⇅ at the edge of the radar scope to increase the scale.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You have to quickly slew outside and then inside of the radar scope to change the scale, doesn't work if you just slew to the edge. For example, you need to do a ⇅ at the edge of the radar scope to increase the scale.

It requires a TDC depress over the icon for me. It works on some of the other radar options as well.

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

Yes you are right, i explained it wrongly.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

It requires a TDC depress over the icon for me. It works on some of the other radar options as well.

Yeah, that works too. But it's quicker (at least for me) to bump the scale by simply doing an up-down at the top of the scope for higher scale or down-up at the bottom of the scope for lower scale.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 9 months later...

For the radar page and radar range:

Both methods mentioned here are correct and both work. Range "bumping" in the Hornet works differently than in the F-16 or F15, you need to move the TDC cursor outside the box of the radar display and then back in again quickly for it to bump the range. The reason it works this way in the Hornet is because:

In the Hornet, you can adjust (AFAIK) all radar commands using the TDC cursor. Move the cursor over any OSB option and depress the TDC to activate it as if you had pressed that button. Some actually work differently when the cursor is moved over them, like the elevation bars setting, which will open a display of all options allowing you to select the exact one you want with the cursor rather than having to cycle through them.

To the OP: I've never seen such a thing, and I have looked myself. Part of the problem seems to be that the Hornet's HOTAS functions have evolved considerably between lots so you'd need to find one that is specific to the Lot20 to be accurate. The Recce / Event Mark button for example no longer has anything to do with Recce equipment or event marking in the Lot 20. It'd be great if ED could create something based on the info they have, so we know what we'll be getting.

The Recce / Event Mark button for example no longer has anything to do with Recce equipment or event marking in the Lot 20.

the RECCE switch toggles HMD ON/OFF, when the HMD knob is out of the OFF position.

Edited by HILOK

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, HILOK said:

the RECCE switch toggles HMD ON/OFF, when the HMD knob is out of the OFF position.

as long as SA page is not up and "focused"/SOI, because then the Recce Event button toggles SA EXP mode if TDC over a contact. In this case you CAN'T manipulate HMD. Drove me nuts, until rob10 came along...

Edited by Razor18
  • Thanks 1