Best DCS Aircraft to train a beginner

Fish

Hi all,

I have a friend who want's to start flying DCS, and was wondering what aircraft would be best for that. He has no simulator experience, but scores high on the enthusiasm scale. I don't want to start him with something which overwhelms him, and thinking a prop with torque and visibility might not be such a good idea to start with. I considered MS Flight sim or X plane with a Cessna, but I think there should be something suitable in DCS.

Cheers.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

F-15C, the stand alone is only 14.99 usd, he can play solo or in multiplayer and would cover all the basics.

Or if he prefer A2G the free SU-25T.

Edit

Also, there are literary thousands of videos to learn

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DCS+F-15C

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DCS+SU-25T

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

One of the FC3 aircraft - perhaps the F-15, or if money isn't a problem, have him get the whole bunch. Comparatively the L-39 is underpowered, departs easily and violently at high AoA, has no HUD and you can't blow stuff up in it as easily. IMHO it's an aircraft that rewards good flying and punishes sloppiness - I can see it being very frustrating for a beginner for that reason.

To me a easy one to start with is the Saber for NATO countries.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

F/A-18C. Very easy to fly and control.

At the current stage, it doesn't have lots of features that overwhelm the mind. So he will be forced to focus on the basics and nothing else.

But definitely, if he learn it, he will stay up all night waiting for Wednesdays update to learn / to do / to try new things with it.

Mirage, hear me out. Difficulty comes from taking on too much too quickly. If he wants a rewarding experience without having to buy multiple jets the mirage should be his choice. It has good, radar a2a, and a2g. There is also tons of tutorials for the mirage. Just look up mirage 1 minute tutorial. They are quick and to the point.

I've flown the f15 the su27. The mirage can teach you everything you need to learn about flight and combat.The mirage is easy to fly, has a forgiving landing and really difficult to stall.

Edited by JohnathanWinters

I was also thinking of the fc3 aircraft since they are simplified models and not in-depth models

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Just let him use the free Su-25T ( and in fact the TF-51D with easy take-off set).

That way he gets to see both a full fidelity and FC level plane and can decide what suits him best, plus it costs him nothing if he doesn't like it.

Isn't that the whole point of the "free" part of DCS World?

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Hi all,

I have a friend who want's to start flying DCS, and was wondering what aircraft would be best for that. He has no simulator experience, but scores high on the enthusiasm scale. I don't want to start him with something which overwhelms him, and thinking a prop with torque and visibility might not be such a good idea to start with. I considered MS Flight sim or X plane with a Cessna, but I think there should be something suitable in DCS.

Cheers.

Whichever one fascinates him the most. That will provide the greatest motivation to learn what he’ll need to know to excel.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Whichever one fascinates him the most. That will provide the greatest motivation to learn what he’ll need to know to excel.

This is true, for me it is the Harrier simply because i like it, I have plenty of others but this is the module i'm learning first.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

The Viggen is what made this game click for me. It is forgiving with speed, had some give with AoA but makes it clear when the pilot pushes that too far. The tutorials are very good for someone with minimal flight sim knowledge, and flying low made it much easier to acquire targets when I was learning, although I think target spotting should be better now with everything.

I do think JohnathanWinters has a point too with the Mirage, I was about ready to quit DCS because the Su-25T was so tough to fly. The Mirage gave me hope because the act of flight itself was so easy. Ultimately I moved on to the Viggen because I struggled learning the cockpit due to it being in French, and the manual at the time wasn't as informative as I needed, but the manual has been updated since so that might be different now, and maybe OP's friend's memory is better than mine.

Edited by Horns
Additional information

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Hi all,

Cheers.

I'm not sure to understand you correctly and especially why a prop aircraft is not suitable.

If you can wait for 2 more weeks, the Yak-52, a prop trainer, might be released.

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

My vote for A-10A as mud mover and F-15C for fighter experience. They are stable, not much trim needed and easy to learn. Any russian (esp. 25T) or warbird would be terrible choice for beginner and a cause of frustration.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

....Any russian (esp. 25T) or warbird would be terrible choice for beginner and a cause of frustration.

It’s a matter of interest. The Su-27 was my first ED aircraft....way back when men were men and women were women... :) Not frustrating at all.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Hi all,

Cheers.

Just ask him which plane he likes in reality and start with it but DO NOT take any of FC planes. Take a full fidelity module where its possible to do some basics of radio navigation, ILS. My vote would be L-39 and the Kursant campaign but this campaign is actually quite tough.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

For my .02, the L-39 is the way to go if he's receptive. Unless he's the type of person that's bored if he doesn't have the hottest, deadliest toy in the toybox you can't beat the practicality of having working student/instructor slots. You can demonstrate maneuvers then hand him the controls and observe and correct him. It encourages good airmanship, good communication, and gives you the same toolset the real guys use to teach people how to fly and fight.

If he's not the patient type, the F-15C offers the most lethality for the least effort, and is incredibly forgiving of pilot error. It's a great jet to learn in, though it does allow you to develop some bad habits.

• Like 1

Fish,

When you and your friend make a decision, please let us know what it is.

I'm curious ;)

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I'm going to go with the SU27/F15 or F18 bandwagon.

The F18 is dead simple to start from cold, is very simple to use right now, will expand with new functionality at a decent pace for someone to learn each system and keep them interested and is absolutely amazing from a sim standpoint.

The F15/SU27 choice would give them a "very capable" weapon to start with and remove the cockpit and mostly even HOTAS as a concern. With those you can mostly map a few things to a less expensive controller and still not have too much to know on the keyboard. When they start looking into trying to shoot someone else down they'll have everything they need.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thanks for all the comments.

Considering everything, and throwing out my own favourite aircraft, I'm going to recommend the L-39 Albatros for the following reasons.

1. Its a basic jet training aircraft in RL.

2. Its got the dual seat, so simulates a training environment (and I can help him get started)

3. Avionics are basic (not simple), so focus is on flying.

4. No HUD (by dismounting the gunsight), so focus is on VFR, and instrument flying, without aids.

5. He is more interested in learning flying, and not combat at the moment.

6. Got fairly good clickable cockpit, simulating realism.

7. Its a Jet and not fighter prop, so no complex engine management.

8. Advanced FM for realism.

9. VFR hood for pilot in training.

10. Excellent aircraft and cockpit modelling.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

L-39 is the ultimate module to provide newbies with basic, advance and operational training by using multicrew.

• Like 1

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.