heavy single core load on Persian map.

D4n

Be aware, it seems Persian map is using 1 CPU core/thread like 80-90 % while all other cores barely used. So a CPU like mine (6c12t Ryzen 5 1600X) won't help much unless overclocked. Sad to see this new great map being so single core heavy.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I know someone contested my statement in another thread*

But I don't recall seeing anywhere that ED had changed the engine to utilize more than 2(?) threads for the whole of the game, one for the core engine and the other sound(?) I believe. So seeing fairly high >80% usage seems quite normal.

*https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214289

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I know someone contested my statement in another thread*

But I don't recall seeing anywhere that ED had changed the engine to utilize more than 2(?) threads for the whole of the game, one for the core engine and the other sound(?) I believe. So seeing fairly high >80% usage seems quite normal.

*https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214289

That's probably because people keep posting visual evidence that suggests that DCS is now using more than 1 core.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Whilst under DCS and VR I see an amount of activity on all cores I still see the old trend of one core at 40 to 50% and 1 core north side of 80+% the other cores are active but still seems to be one core working real hard and when either that core or the GPU hit 100% I get drop frames.

As far as I can tell core 12 (6 core i7 5930) work load is somewhat dependent to graphics settings and each map seems to have a slightly different CPU/GPU loading with the same graphics settings.

Ovservations

NTTR best performance

Caucasus good performance

PG uses slightly more CPU/GPU than Caucasus

Normandy uses slightly more CPU/GPU than PG.

All single player free flight missions.

Of course I can push CPU/GPU harder but changing graphics settings however keeping a margin of headroom seems to be the best for smooth non drop frame performance.

Edited by FragBum
typo

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Whilst under DCS and VR I see an amount of activity on all cores I still see the old trend of one core at 40 to 50% and 1 core north side of 80+% the other cores are active but still seems to be one core working real hard and when either that core or the GPU hit 100% I get drop frames.

As far as I can tell core 12 (6 core i7 5930) work load is somewhat dependent to graphics settings and each map seems to have a slightly different CPU/GPU loading with the same graphics settings.

Ovservations

NTTR best performance

Caucasus good performance

PG uses slightly more CPU/GPU than Caucasus

Normandy uses slightly more CPU/GPU than PG.

All single player free flight missions.

Of course I can push CPU/GPU harder but changing graphics settings however keeping a margin of headroom seems to be the best for smooth non drop frame performance.

Looking at the task manager etc is very misleading, especially on Windows, as applications can and do hop from one core/thread to another (unless explicitly confined) and the task manager will appear to show activity happening on X cores at once, when this is not the case. The core application <foo> runs on is arbitrary.

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I'm sure Matt may have even chimed in on one of these such threads, as far as I'm aware DCS is really only currently utilizing 2 threads at once. I will eat humble pie though if an authority on this can correct me.

@ouPhrontis

Yes thats what I'm thinking the core usage of DCS seems about the same, one core at about 40 to 50% and another at 80+% like in 1.5 and 2.2/x the fact that there is more activity could be from any Foo{running}; :)

With all the cores working and it's mostly averaging a few % core utilisation each and transient so likely OS or other software.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the culprit!! YEEEHAAA xD had "Game-mode" enabled. (I srsly believed it would help... I will call it "wrecking-mode" from today on) https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215622

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence