Improved stability and dedicated server - Discussion - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #201
HiJack
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Initially it wont be, but perhaps as it develops more options will be available. Has to be done in steps.
One other option would be to enable multiple instances of DCS.exe to run so we could spread our training and testing needs using the same server but different ports. Or make the single DCS instance so it can run more than one server. Maybe limited numbers of players on each instance, 2 instances 16 players each or 4 instances 8 players each.

One other ting that needs work is multiple spawn on each of the airfields ramp points. We are already getting to few spawn points if mission have all aircrafts available in mission. Either remake slot selection for player or remake each ramp spot to hold more than one aircraft. Something have to change at least.

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #202
VladMordock

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
The crux of the matter is that while there clearly is room for improvement in the MP functionality, it's still daft to blame ED for problems caused by bad scripting etcetera.
Nobody is doing that, that's the worst idea one can take from this discussion; albeit sandbox which do RTD (return to desktop) easily on desync/script/net issues is a very bad sandbox...
Old 07-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #203
robgraham

So this is having read the newletter my responses are:

Re the Newletter post
Quote:
DCS World Dedicated Server Update
With the launch of 2.5 earlier this year, we have been working diligently on an item we've been wanting to bring to DCS World for quite a long time: a dedicated server. It however was not until the launch of DCS World 2.5 was this possible, and hence the length of time this has taken.
As a dedicated server, the software will not require any graphics rendering, so no dedicated graphics card will be required and there is no audio requirement. This all greatly reduced server load overhead.
There will be a new web GUI to control the server. Operation of the dedicated server through the web GUI will operate much as the existing online server does now, but allow you to make changes remotely.
We plan to release the dedicated server in Autumn 2018. Afterward, we will investigate adding additional features to expand its capability.
Sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team
Thing is though it sounds more like oh hey we ripped out the 3d engine and the sound engine.. that's gonna fix things. But with out ED giving us a lot more info it's still hard to work out if it will fix things and would be nice if Matt or some one would expand on them :/

1 . Will the dedicated server be able to be ran by game hosting services? (eg will it actually be a more managable size etc)
2. Will the dedicated server require us to still have to buy EVERY terrain module specifically for the server (it's costing people extra 40$us every time they release a terrain) as it's annoying to have to own 2 copies of everything if your running a dedicated server.
3. Does the decrease in overhead also include better network layer managements some of the data sent to clients really seems.. well pointless, a client outside of a battlefield commander shouldn't need to know what is happening 300nm away in high detail.. but they currently get all that information (part of what causes network use to be so high)
4. Are other MP functionality QOL inprovements coming with it? Because right now as other have mentioned in the thread with out mission planning capabilities a lot of the dedicated servers players are left running half backed.. because you have No means of mission planning except from in the aircraft.

I see a lot of finger pointing at 'high object' missions in the thread as the 'cause' of the issues, and yet missions that ran fine at one point don't at times or run very poorly in the newer builds etc.

Then there are a wealth of scripting bugs like oh events not firing for clients properly etc those aren't 'poor mission making' there actual 'bugs' that have been reported now for over 2 years.

Ideally the MP side of the game would get a focus'd sit down and one whole version cycle put aside for it, looking at things like :

- Pre existing bugs and issues (ala the scripting items etc).
- Server side improvements (ala netcode improvements, memory optimisations etc).
- Client/Server improvements (ala mission planning abilities etc).

The problem is that you see the back and forth arguments happen if that is brought up 'why is MP getting the attention' or 'Why is SP only getting attention', Both play styles help fund and keep DCS and ED going, SP reaps the benefits of everything no matter what especially given any multiplayer optimisations tend to also improve single player client/server relationships, on the other hand Multiplayer on the other hand some times doesn't, some 'single player' improvements can cause nothing but issues for multiplayer and the lack of clear documentation on scripting changes etc can mean that server runners feel punished for trying! Especially when your server just crashes only for you to find that for example in the last 'patch' cycle a script change some where has caused the mission your running to lock up but only in 'multiplayer' not in single.

just my 2 cents on the subject.

Last edited by robgraham; 07-14-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fix quote area
robgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #204
sadfunda

Single player is nice and all, but the real game is in the multiplayer, communicating and cooperating with people is the layer of this game that keeps me coming back, it wouldn't be as interesting to just repeat missions by yourself. I really hope dedicated servers improve the stability and performance of online play.
sadfunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #205
ikonane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadfunda View Post
Single player is nice and all, but the real game is in the multiplayer, communicating and cooperating with people is the layer of this game that keeps me coming back, it wouldn't be as interesting to just repeat missions by yourself. I really hope dedicated servers improve the stability and performance of online play.
I second that.

My game crashes about every 30-60 minutes that I play multiplayer, really annoying.
ikonane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #206
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonane View Post
I second that.

My game crashes about every 30-60 minutes that I play multiplayer, really annoying.
Have you made a post in our game crash section, supplying the proper info we need, logs, dxdiag, tracks, etc?
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote