Targeting Pod and Mav f question

A.P. Hill

Lately I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting my Maverick Fs to slew to what I have on my targeting pod in the F-18.

I’ve watched a number of tutorials on it and I believe I am setting it up properly. I’m wondering if someone could help me out with what I am doing wrong. I’ve uploaded a couple of png files for you to look at. The one shows the targeting pod image with a point track on a tank. The corresponding Maverick screen shows how far off it is.

Thanks for any help

1617348892_TargtPod.thumb.png.cc3b05752bd9a74c44d28b1c4908e470.png

1643956755_Mavview.thumb.png.f371133b55c73fa431c36ac15d83f6f0.png

I believe DCS has stated that MAV seeker syncing to TGP targets is still WIP. I am guessing this is just another early access issue that will be tweaked sometime in the future.
Looks like it. The seeker should look exactly where the pof is looking (assuming it's boresighted) and attempt to lock whatever is there. If you command a new target point with the pod, the seeker should unlock and repeat the process.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It is possible to use MAV F with TGP

Lately I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting my Maverick Fs to slew to what I have on my targeting pod in the F-18.

I’ve watched a number of tutorials on it and I believe I am setting it up properly. I’m wondering if someone could help me out with what I am doing wrong. I’ve uploaded a couple of png files for you to look at. The one shows the targeting pod image with a point track on a tank. The corresponding Maverick screen shows how far off it is.

Thanks for any help

Maybe this video will help:

https://youtu.be/6Yt-43Cy9SU

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

My theory

yes ... it works ... thx for the video !

But one question: why is the MAVF abbr. in the HUD for all Mavs crossed but launchable ?

It's a bit confusing ... for me ...

i thought the cross means weapon is not ready

As soon as you hit TDC Depress, you are going to boresight Maverick to whatever your targeting pod is looking at.

As I don’t have the required operational knowledge with regards to real-life Maverick, I assume that once the MAVF is off the rail, it will fly towards boresight and home in on the first thing it can see.

I understand that flashing CROSSED MAVF is indication of that.

I was able to reproduce this behaviour every time I tried to destroy a moving target.

A single press of TDC DEPRESS allows updating boresight right before RELEASE

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

https://clips.twitch.tv/BelovedSincereFoxVoHiYo

heres a video describing the tgp not lining up w/ the mav. but as you will notice i am not in range of the mav.

if you watch the rest of the video where i launch you will see my steps to locking a target are, in range, and the method for locking the target and firing the mav are:

in range make tgp soi

tdc depress tgt.

soi mav screen (tgt will be jumping around if near any light poles etc.)

undesignate press only once. (tgt will now lock)

fire.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

yes ... it works ... thx for the video !

But one question: why is the MAVF abbr. in the HUD for all Mavs crossed but launchable ?

It's a bit confusing ... for me ...

i thought the cross means weapon is not ready

It boresights to the TGP LOS and attempts to lock wherever is there. It seems that, right now, in DCS, the missile's seeker doesn't stabilize properly by itself once uncaged and instead of locking the object in view and remaining locked and stabilized once it does, it rapidly locks and unlocks.

It seems that is the result of a recent change to the Maverick's behavior after uncaging. I'm pretty sure they'll fine tune it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

As I don’t have the required operational knowledge with regards to real-life Maverick, I assume that once the MAVF is off the rail, it will fly towards boresight and home in on the first thing it can see.

To the best of my knowledge, the AGM-65F never had this capability, it requires a solid lock before launch. I think Raytheon was just starting to work on something like that in 2017 or 2018, so nothing we'd see anytime soon.

Edited by Harker

-

As far as I understand, the Maverick should not be able to get off the rails without positive launch authorization.

Tried it yesterday, Maverick seems to lock on the target, but MAV is still crossed on the HUD:

BgMJz0Kv0Gw

I would guess, that this looks like a DCS bug at the moment...

I can't imagine that it would be able to fire without a lock just boresight to the TPod...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

As far as I understand, the Maverick should not be able to get off the rails without positive launch authorization.

Tried it yesterday, Maverick seems to lock on the target, but MAV is still crossed on the HUD.

I would guess, that this looks like a DCS bug at the moment...

I can't imagine that it would be able to fire without a lock just boresight to the TPod...

I realized that it only fires if you happen to press the pickle button during a moment that it's "locked". You can see that it changes between locked and unlocked state in the video.

Definitely a bug though. The seeker should remain locked until either commanded otherwise manually from the IMAV page or until there's another target designation from the TGP, whereupon it should slew to the new location and attempt a new lock. Or until the target goes outside of gimbal limits, whereupon the seeker should cage itself.

-