Ignoring warnings about pitot heat / engine anti ice etc

b0bl00i

So no one knows does engine anti ice affect engine performance?

Are you asking in the sim or real life? Or both?

No. No. And no.

How do I know? Both of all the performance graphs and emergency procedures do not include any penalty when switching the Engine Anti-ice on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Surprisingly, there isn’t even limitations to its operation. I seriously question it, but you could have it switched on +40 Celsius.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Go read it yourself. I looked in the whole performance section of NATOPS. Looked at the Emergency procedure for INLET ICE caution. Looked at the limitations section for anything mentioning engine anti ice. Please provide factual information if you have it, otherwise there is no performance impact.

I believe you that you couldn't find anything. That doesn't prove anything though. Lack of evidence for A does not make B true.

If nothing's documented, it might be because the effect isn't significant. You can't magic up energy though, that heat has to come from somewhere (in this case, greater demand on bleed air).

Oh okay. So now we are talking semantics.

If there was a performance hit, it would be documented. That would not make sense to create graphs specifically detailing performance values and just leave out something that would degrade it. Especially if it’s even critical like, during takeoff? Come on man. Go get factual data.

Edited by Eagle7907

You said there was no performance hit. The burden of proof is on you to back that claim up. "I didn't find anything that proves me wrong, so I must be right" is at best misleading.

Haha. Right. A US Navy document, written in conjunction with Boeing/McDonnell Douglas, must be wrong because you think it is. Just like global warming right? That makes sense.

Unless you have factual data, like I said, you are making claims without proof. I said it once, and I’ll say it again. There are no corrections for Anti-ice ON in ANY performance chart, there is nothing detailing engine performance degradation anywhere. Unless you can find text that states it to be true from a solid, reliable source, you have no proof. I want facts, not opinions.

Please...feel free to find it in the NATOPS yourself. Oh....you’ve looked too? Well. Keep finding those facts to back up your claim.

Just checked F-14B NATOPS for cold weather operations, it says to reference the performance manual for appropriate takeoff distance for operating in snow/slush covered runways. It even has this note and I quote:

“Because of its adverse effects on engine performance, the engine anti-icing system should be used only when icing conditions exist or are anticipated.”

F-18, same section, says nothing about checking any performance charts. Gee, I wonder why? No notes about degraded performance. Hmmmmm....

Also, the functional checks on F-18 for testing the engine anti-ice do not mention any change in EGT or RPM at idle. All it says is to verify the heat annunciation comes on, if not retest at 70% RPM. The test position just verifies the INLET ICE caution illuminates. (My guess, testing the ice detector) Nothing again about degraded thrust or changing engine parameters.

Bye Felicia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Can this thread be closed? It is completely useless. Inlet icing is not simulated in DCS. There is a longstanding bug that causes the sensor to go off in conditions when icing would never occur. Ignore it. It doesn't matter. Of course there is some minimal performance impact in real life due to use of bleed air, but it is irrelevant and not modeled in DCS.

Can this thread be closed? It is completely useless. Inlet icing is not simulated in DCS.

It's not simulated for the F/A-18, the Ka-50 and Mi-8 will experience icing conditions and the corresponding consequences. Sorry but I had to clear that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Now I'm wondering, in the F-18 are the inlets electrically heated, or bleed air heated? Just curious.

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now I'm wondering, in the F-18 are the inlets electrically heated, or bleed air heated? Just curious.

I believe that Wags said in one of his Hornet videos (early ones) that there were heaters in the engine intakes themselves. Would say electric. NATOPS manual didn't specify in regards to the type of heater (or that I could find at least).

I agree with some others, it's not modeled in DCS - this multi page thread is pretty much just en sighting banter, theories, and the occasional flame posts.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I believe that Wags said in one of his Hornet videos (early ones) that there were heaters in the engine intakes themselves. Would say electric. NATOPS manual didn't specify in regards to the type of heater (or that I could find at least).

I agree with some others, it's not modeled in DCS - this multi page thread is pretty much just en sighting banter, theories, and the occasional flame posts.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks. Just got me thinking since the one poster said he didn't see any impact from looking at the manuals, and, if it is indeed electric, that that could be a reason. (Also agree about it not being modeled. Just got my brain wheels turning!)

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A separate engine bleed air system, internal to the engine and from

a different compressor stage than the aircraft bleed air, is used for engine anti-ice.

You guys need to read the book. From NATOPS F-18.

For what it’s worth, this isn’t an airliner, this isn’t a Vietnam-era bird. Maybe the engine manufacture found out a way to minimize the impacts to zero. You all are looking for a there, but there isn’t anything remotely documented to support your assumptions. Zero performance impact. Period.

I’m done.

Edited by Eagle7907

a different compressor stage than the aircraft bleed air, is used for engine anti-ice.

Well there you go. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For what it’s worth, this isn’t an airliner, this isn’t a Vietnam-era bird. Maybe the engine manufacture found out a way to minimize the impacts to zero. You all are looking for a there, but there isn’t anything remotely documented to support your assumptions. Zero performance impact. Period.

I’m done.

Good job. I searched for ice, temperature and anti-ice in the .pdf but wasn't going to spend any real effort for something that doesn't matter.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria