F-18 NWS Hi

Stubbies2003

I have zero issues using full deflection in NWS HI, you just have to have some finesse. Instead of suddenly going to full deflection, start the nose moving in the direction you want with say half rudder, and then increase the deflection to full. The Jet will pirouette around it’s inside wheel. There is a lot of inertia in yaw and if you suddenly go to full NWS HI you just go straight into sliding the tire. If you gently increase the steering angle then you build yaw rate and yaw momentum in the whole airframe and the forces on the tyres resisting the turn becomes much less.

In closing, just be smooth and slow yo.

The reason for turning in the wrong direction is because once the front tyres are sliding across the ground at almost 90 degrees to the direction of travel they are no longer providing any steering force only drag, but because of the offset of those wheels from the rotational axis they are actually stuck out to the side slightly. If you’re trying to turn right the wheels will be to the left of the nose, that drag on the left hand side of the nose is what turns the aircraft left.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

DCS it doesn't matter what speed you taxi at the odd behavior of it centering then turning in the wrong direction is still there.

I don't have this problem either. The guy in your video is taxiing at less than 5kts and if you apply full deflection at or below this speed, the DCS F/A-18 turns exactly the same way.

You previously mentioned that the problem occurs even at VERY low speed. The question is, what is VERY low for you? The F/A-18 is a pretty big aircraft and less than 5kts does look extremely slow from the cockpit.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

OK I am only posting on this one again to link a video of some F/A-18 deck ops just to prove that the real bird can do these super tight turns. Precisely like the one I brought up so no if you are going slow enough it isn't going to behave like it currently does in DCS. DCS it doesn't matter what speed you taxi at the odd behavior of it centering then turning in the wrong direction is still there.

Fast forward to 13:40 if you only want to see the nose wheel turn 90 degrees to the right and turn just fine. Watch it all for the enjoyment of seeing the professionals at work.

No need to respond. This is mostly so the folks in charge of the F/A-18 can see this needs fixing in DCS.

Test, wings folded, move throttle to a slow roll, cut throttle, NWS HI full, FA18C will do 90° turn

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I don't have this problem either. The guy in your video is taxiing at less than 5kts and if you apply full deflection at or below this speed, the DCS F/A-18 turns exactly the same way.

You previously mentioned that the problem occurs even at VERY low speed. The question is, what is VERY low for you? The F/A-18 is a pretty big aircraft and less than 5kts does look extremely slow from the cockpit.

Very low speed for me is the aircraft is going so slow that by the time it reverses the turn and starts turning the wrong way the aircraft stops completely on its own due to idle thrust, lack of speed, and the turn. For me this never works correctly when fully deflected and NWS Hi. If I fully deflect either to the left or the right it will always start turning in the correct direction, then straightens out, then it reverses the turn to the wrong direction. Without fail it does this. No mods done to my DCS or to the F/A-18. Normal NWS never does this. Always does in Hi regardless of speed.

Edited by Stubbies2003

Test, wings folded, move throttle to a slow roll, cut throttle, NWS HI full, FA18C will do 90° turn

Even mine will for a very short period of time. Then it does the straighten and reverse bit every time without fail. The only thing that folded wings gives you is the ability to stay NWS Hi without having to hold the button down. Either way it matters not as the problem exists for me regardless.

As stated in the previous post I can duplicate this at such low speeds that the reversing of the turn stops the aircraft entirely.

Very low speed for me is the aircraft is going so slow that by the time it reverses the turn and starts turning the wrong way the aircraft stops completely due to idle thrust, lack of speed, and the turn.

You need to be slower than 5kts when moving straight ahead before initiating the turn. The aircraft should never 'reverse' its turn. Most likely you need to increase thrust a bit after starting the turn to avoid getting stuck.

Edited by bbrz

You need to be slower than 5kts when moving straight ahead before initiating the turn. The aircraft should never 'reverse' its turn.

I don't know how many times I can say it but I am NOT GOING FAST when I duplicate this issue. As stated not but a few posts ago I can be going so slow and duplicate this problem that the mere fact that the aircraft is turning at idle thrust plus friction stops the aircraft all on it's own. That is WELL below 5 knots. THIS ISN'T A SPEED PROBLEM.

.. the mere fact that the aircraft is turning at idle thrust plus friction stops the aircraft all on it's own.

That's why I wrote you have to keep thrust to maintain a very low speed and most likely to increase thrust a bit to avoid getting stuck in the middle of the turn.

That's why I wrote you have to keep thrust to maintain a very low speed and most likely to increase thrust a bit to avoid getting stuck in the middle of the turn.

At what point did I ever say it is getting "stuck in a turn"? It never gets stuck in a turn. It straightens out the aircraft then reverses the turn direction all on it's own. If left hard over the rudder it will start left, then straighten out and then turn hard right. It will keep turning right until I either go from NWS Hi to regular NWS or I remove 15-20% of that input to the rudder. If I do the same but full right rudder it will do the same as left rudder but reversing the turn to the left.

Regardless of if it should do that or not that IS what it is doing.

I can duplicate this with speeds all the way down to where the aircraft cannot even sustain movement itself. Adding throttle isn't going to fix that. It will just allow the reversed turn to continue.

Edited by Stubbies2003

How many times do I have to mention that you have to keep thrust to avoid getting stuck.

Have you watched the track I've uploaded?

Simply taxi around a bit and when you are finished quit the mission and use the option 'save track'

How many times do I have to mention that you have to keep thrust to avoid getting stuck.

Once again it has NOTHING to do with speed. The only reason I was even trying it that slow is to prove that it wasn't an issue of going too fast. Yet once again I can duplicate this problem at ANY taxi speed. With you getting hung up on this whole "stuck" bit I'd think you were responding to a completely different person or problem.

Have you watched the track I've uploaded?

No I have not. I can look at it but I know how to taxi an aircraft around. Even with this problem I know the work around and have done plenty of taxing both at airfields and on carriers.

Simply taxi around a bit and when you are finished quit the mission and use the option 'save track'

Easy enough.

Apparently you don't, otherwise you wouldn't run into these problems ;)

Yeah wrong answer. So in a phenomenal waste of time I downloaded and watched that track file. Not exactly earth shattering. You are showing what mine doesn't do. The only benefit was in learning where the track files are kept and how to use them.

This problem wasn't negated by your track file example of it working.

Seriously how many times do I have to point out that it was going so slow that it stopped BY ITSELF before you might not think I am lying about this?

I've never done a track file and don't know the procedure.

You seem to need a better HOTAS

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Problems and odd behaviour can be caused by many things. In most of those cases a track file helps to understand the problem. No one would call anybody a liar just by asking for a track.

That would be you misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying he is calling me a liar for asking for a track file. I AM saying that for his insistence that my problem is based on the speed I am doing this at even though I have stated multiple times that I can duplicate this at any speed. Him insisting that it is speed when I say otherwise only leads to two conclusions. He either thinks that I don't know what I am doing or am lying about it.

Do u have a track with HSI on a DDI so we can see your ground speed? Just to replicate the behaviour.

I will test and see how well making a track file works through VR. I have no problems in showing the info as it will just give a visual representation of what I can always duplicate.

You seem to need a better HOTAS

Yeah a Thrustmaster Warthog is such a PoS HOTAS I know. Perhaps if you read the entire problem that this DOESN'T happen outside of NWS Hi you'd understand that it isn't HOTAS based. If the HOTAS was sending funky rudder input at full deflections it would also be doing that outside of NWS Hi. Which it is NOT. If it was an issue of only having a bad button for the NWS Hi then this would be intermittent with wings extended and locked but consistently good with wings folded or wings extended but unlocked. Which again it is NOT.

Edited by Stubbies2003

I also had some trouble getting NWS HI to work smoothly at first, I'd add that it's also very helpful to have rudder pedals as you can ease your nosewheel into the turn rather than going full deflection. By "stuck in a turn" I think bbrz meant the aircraft just stopping, not somehow getting stuck in a constant turn. When I try to do a NWS HI turn, I make sure I'm going only a few knots, ease into the turn (you could also try switching to HI mode after turning a little bit with normal nosewheel control) , and then increase power a bit so that the aircraft is able to make its way through the turn without stopping (getting stuck). Hope this helps, I'm not just trying to pile on to this argument here.

I also had some trouble getting NWS HI to work smoothly at first, I'd add that it's also very helpful to have rudder pedals as you can ease your nosewheel into the turn rather than going full deflection.

The slider on the TM WH isn't a digital on or off only input it is a analog input and that is what I am using for rudder/NWS inputs. Not much different than any other axis to use. If I only input about 85% or so of max input to the rudder then NWS Hi works just fine. The only problem comes about when the full rudder input is given.

By "stuck in a turn" I think bbrz meant the aircraft just stopping, not somehow getting stuck in a constant turn. When I try to do a NWS HI turn, I make sure I'm going only a few knots, ease into the turn (you could also try switching to HI mode after turning a little bit with normal nosewheel control) , and then increase power a bit so that the aircraft is able to make its way through the turn without stopping (getting stuck). Hope this helps, I'm not just trying to pile on to this argument here.

Which is fine but getting "stuck" isn't my problem at all. That is something bbrz just starting talking about in the last few posts and isn't relevant to the issue I see. The only reason I even got to the point of talking about the aircraft stopping in the first place was the countless times I was told I was just taxing too fast. Hence me stating that I can duplicate the issue at such low speeds that the aircraft will stop itself. Nothing to do with the problem at all. Just proof that isn't believed.