How to use the Landing Gear?

LeCuvier

I'm desperately trying to get the landing gear down in the free-flight mission but never got it more than about half down. The Landing Gear Up/Down Handle commands do not work. The Landing Gear Next State command moves that lever up or down and sometimes starts turning the crank, but I never managed to get the gear fully down.

Inversely, when I use the Takeoff mission, once in the air, I cannot retract the gear.

Help Please!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Only tried a couple times, but I noticed gear raises at very different paces every time and I believe at this point it's due to air speed affecting it a lot. I have seen in videos even people loosing gear covers, so might be something related to airspeed, even though I guess further testing (or a word by the developer) should be done since current documentation is quite limited.

Also noticed it's better to use the "next state" button since several controls has to be handled in order to raise or lower the gear and "next state" control not only uses them at once but set them in the right position to raise or lower the thing.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

G (Landing gear next state) will cycle through the 4 settings which is a combination of 2 other settings: Direction and lock. They can be done individually if you chose.

To raise:

1. Press G. It will say, "gear up ready". Direction = up, unlocked.

2. Hold LCtl+G (Landing gear handle, Up) until the handle stops. 42 turns so a long time.

3. Press G, It will say, "gear up fin". Direction = up, unlocked. This stage does seem to do anything since there's no up and locked.

To lower:

1. Press G, It will say, "gear down ready". Direction = down, unlocked.

2. Hold LShift+g (Landing gear handle, Down) until the handle stops.

3. Press G, It will say, "gear down fin". Direction = down, locked.

I setup some buttons on my throttle for G, Up, and Down.

Also it moves up/down the same but noticeably the more it comes up the slower it goes so the speed is not linear. Also that curved tube across the edge of the cockpit is the gear indicator.

Edited by McShetty

Or if you use Voice attack / Vaicom etc set up a new command to go through the full sequence of key presses. That’s what I’d do anyways.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

• 1 month later...
G (Landing gear next state) will cycle through the 4 settings which is a combination of 2 other settings: Direction and lock. They can be done individually if you chose.

To raise:

1. Press G. It will say, "gear up ready". Direction = up, unlocked.

2. Hold LCtl+G (Landing gear handle, Up) until the handle stops. 42 turns so a long time.

3. Press G, It will say, "gear up fin". Direction = up, unlocked. This stage does seem to do anything since there's no up and locked.

To lower:

1. Press G, It will say, "gear down ready". Direction = down, unlocked.

2. Hold LShift+g (Landing gear handle, Down) until the handle stops.

3. Press G, It will say, "gear down fin". Direction = down, locked.

I setup some buttons on my throttle for G, Up, and Down.

Also it moves up/down the same but noticeably the more it comes up the slower it goes so the speed is not linear. Also that curved tube across the edge of the cockpit is the gear indicator.

*cough* gear down ready doesn't mean the gear is down. Not that I bellied in or anything the first time I tried to land it. No, I would never do that. Nor would I know she slides a long way on concrete...the Zampolit had a few choice slava for me. Good thing I must be the son of a party official...

This is surely a manly airplane, only fit for manly men to fly! Open air, bugs in your teeth, manual everything. What's not to like? There's nothing quite like sucking engine exhaust at sixty below zero to remind you how manly you are.

I'm desperately trying to get the landing gear down in the free-flight mission but never got it more than about half down. The Landing Gear Up/Down Handle commands do not work. The Landing Gear Next State command moves that lever up or down and sometimes starts turning the crank, but I never managed to get the gear fully down.

Inversely, when I use the Takeoff mission, once in the air, I cannot retract the gear.

Help Please!

move mouse fast left- right

left-right

are you speaking of a specific plane? or just any that you are using?

I think they're referring to the Polikarpov I-16 fighter.

-

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

If you понимать русский this is a great tutorial, if you don't you still get the idea because the guy did ax excellent job:

If you can handle another non-English video (in this case British, which isn't the same thing :music_whistling:) the Grim Reapers (

) also did a pretty brilliant video explaining how to get those wheels up and down: