Looking for some more BuDs (BUsy DadS) to fly and chat with?

GTFreeFlyer

As our name suggests, we are a group of guys who don’t have time, and cannot make any commitments, to any other type of formal squad due to the nature of life, but need a place to come hang out when life (A.K.A. wife) allows. BuDs is that place where you can just hop in and out whenever you want, even if it’s just to say hello, or also if you want to put up a 3 hour mission. Anything goes! We’re mostly casual, but also willing to be formal. Come on by during your squad's off-nights. We have several smaller squads that drop by often. Think of it like stopping in at your favorite neighborhood bar to shoot some pool or throw some darts with some familiar faces you see outside around town. You can even bring some beer along if you’d like :)

You don’t even have to commit to this group. Participation in other groups is encouraged too. Networking is good, especially when we all have a common interest.

We started mid-March 2019 and are still getting to know each other, so don’t feel intimated to hop in and join the fun!

We are on Discord, and our chat room is just as active than our online play. We joke around, talk about aviation, discuss our busy lives, share pictures, and even talk about our biggest hurdle in DCS gameplay... the BuMs!

There are currently more than 180 of us (as of 2/2/2020), and we’re looking to grow a little more so that we get the benefit of MP availability when desired while also keeping the group small and personable so that we all know each other and can learn from each other. There are still pockets in the day of inactivity, so we'll keep growing for now, however most of the time there are people around to play with. Usually 3-4 at any given time, and up to 15-20 when we do planned events. You’ll quickly get to know the regulars who play during your preferred hours.

We are global and a borderless community and all share a common interest in aviation. See our map here.

Also, you don’t have to be busy, or a dad, to join. As long as you are in the mentality of casual game play, understand that life gets in the way when you’re in the middle of a bombing run, and feeling social, BuDs is for you.

We all enjoy talking about airplanes and simulators throughout the day in the chat room.

A typical MP session goes something like this...

Hop into BuDs on Discord and see who’s online, establish communication, hop into whatever shenanigans are going on, and leave when your wife tells you to, if you must :)

If no one is on, start up a server, hop into the voice channel and send a message to the group to entice someone to join you.

Here are some videos from BuDs sessions:

If this sounds like the MP experience you’re looking for, shoot me a PM and introduce yourself and I’ll get you into the group from there. The server is not public. Please let me know which city you’re in and I’ll introduce you to the BuDs.

Blue skies!

Fun fact: Our logo below was a screenshot taken from an actual BuDs formation flight, later edited to remove the background. Don't worry, we fly helos too!

859313031_CloseFormation3.png.91b2a83a292274aab0e88d6cb942e303.png

Edited by GTFreeFlyer

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of the BuDs! It's a fun group, and we'd love to see some more folks on our wingtips! I'm one of the DCS noobs, having only the A-10C at the moment.

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey, your schedule looks like a fit for mine.

Looked on Discord, no joy on DCS or BuDs per search.

Standing by.

Win10, MSI Z370, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080Ti, TM HOTAS, Oculus Rift

Yes, you can feel the sun on your skin... over Vegas with mirrors on. (PD1.8, MSAA 2X)

Hey, your schedule looks like a fit for mine.

Looked on Discord, no joy on DCS or BuDs per search.

Standing by.

I will send a PM. We are only looking for 1-2 more at this time while we all get to know each other, then will open it up for more. The guys in the group like the small, personable, feel of the group.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Guys this sound a great group.. pity I am on the wrong side of the pond..

Every success to you...

We have 3-4 guys that play in the mornings, which may work for you. No discrimination here. I’ve been to your side of the pond (assuming Europe?) and love it.

Guys this sound a great group.. pity I am on the wrong side of the pond..

Every success to you...

Yeah, like GT said, several of us are usually on in the mornings here in the USA. I'm one of them! I tend to wake up early and let my wife sleep. Then, she and the kids do their school (we homeschool), so I often have several hours to goof off!

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi. I sent a PM. I’m interested and currently fly with one other person. I have a fair amount of mission building experience as well including utilizing MIST, MOOSE, CTLD and a customized medevac script. We currently have A-10C, P-51, F18, UH1H, Blackshark2, and a couple other aircraft. We are casual flyers but try to be reasonably serious when flying. We are also both in California. Would love to at least chat online and maybe just do some casual flying around to get to feel each other out. My friend also does custom skins for us to add minor things like our callsigns to our aircrafts.

Shoot, if you guys are gonna incorporate scripts from CTLD then I'm down to fly some Huey support! I run with a regular unit Sunday nights but am always looking for others to play with the rest of the week!!

~Rob

Hi Rob, well I can’t guarantee that you’ll always be playing missions with CTLD, which is sort of the cool thing about the group. There is no dedicated server, so it is up to all the BuDs to participate and load up whichever mission they want. Every time I log in, I never know what to expect as it is different each time. It’s all fun though! This gives each BuD a chance to showcase his mission and have others try it out. Some are hits, some not. I enjoy seeing all the different types (and skilled mission building) of missions that come through. We seem to be having fun no matter what it is. As long as we are airborne, we’re happy, even if it’s in a training mission to help a noob get up to speed with us.

Typically, if there’s no one on, someone will hop on and throw up a mission of his choosing and then send out a message to the group. Others will follow and hop in if able.

If you are still interested and somewhat fit the profile of what I mentioned in the original list, shoot me a PM. We’d be glad to have you. We’ve grown to 15 now and typically have 3-4 guys on together weekday mornings and 4-5 at a time on weekends. There are still some periods of inactivity, so we’ll take a few more into the group at this time.

We are still looking for more BuDs to join us. Contact me if interested. Group of 16 right now. Scattered all over the US.

It is not required to be in the US. We have irregular fliers too. We just picked up our first from Canada and UK this week. Any timezone is welcome. The majority of the action has been weekday mornings in the US, then more at night after we get the kids to bed. It doesn’t have to be that way though if we get other time zones involved.

Send me a PM if you’re a BuD and interested. Thanks.

I agree- I'm located in the Central US, but I'm usually on in the mornings (when I'm home), so that'd probably put me in a better position to fly with some of our UK brothers (and sisters, if we have any?)!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello Folks,

Thanks GTFly for getting the group formed.... perfect tempo of real humans to fly with while still able to "live a life". Last night was a blast with A-A & SEAD practice, but boy was it late :). Sure would like to see more casual folks from the US East coast join up. If you are tired of flying solo, but are concerned about other commitments or "squadron pressure" then drop GTFly a line, the BuDs are casual to hang out with, but we lucked out with some pretty decent mission builders and flyers to boot (I am learning tons).

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hopefully you all are still looking for folks??

DCS flyer for sometime, but recently really digging deep with the A-10C and looking to become proficient, but, need some relaxed online time to take that extra step.

My kids are older, so not so much a busy dad, but more like a busy dad with work and training for races. Through the week I am pretty much out of pocket but like to get flight time in on the weekends.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

We're absolutely looking for some more BuDs! We've got a great group together so far, send a PM on over to GTFreeFlyer, and be prepared to answer some seriously hard questions like, what do you fly? ;)

Hope to see you in the skies.

Hopefully you all are still looking for folks??

DCS flyer for sometime, but recently really digging deep with the A-10C and looking to become proficient, but, need some relaxed online time to take that extra step.

My kids are older, so not so much a busy dad, but more like a busy dad with work and training for races. Through the week I am pretty much out of pocket but like to get flight time in on the weekends.

PM inbound!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Join us, you know you want to!!!

Hey to anyone looking at the Squad and may still be unsure let me say it is a good group. I have been with them for a couple weeks now and immediately felt at home with everyone. Very friendly people and knowledgeable and willing to help. I had one of the squad members spend and hour with me last night helping me get used to AOA on the Hornet, super boring for someone to help with but very willing to. Between everyone in the group someone owns every Air frame. Very casual and no one gets up set if in the middle of a flight you need to go on AP and go deal with something, we all have lives and families that we need to deal with. If that is something you are looking for this is the spot. With that said we do try and get some group stuff going, but with the casualness of the group it can be hard some times but we are also still a small group of people and are working on it. We have no dedicated server right now but everyone puts a server up and posts it so anyone can join. We have a bunch of mission builders as well, and some pretty interesting missions, guys you know the mission I am thinking of lol.

Most of us like to use proper terminology and tactics, or at least we try but that isn't required it's just fun and more engaging to do, in my mind at least.

Also we spend a lot of time talking and sharing in in Discord as well, a good community. We have the Americans, people from the other side of the "pond" and one token Canadian that meets some sort of requirement or something (i'm the Canadian, we need to take them over people!)

In short if you want to fly with some good people but can't commit and don't want to have to join the Military to play this is a good spot to be. Just PM GT and have a talk with him about it, come check us out!