What happened to map development?

QuiGon

Whats the latest with the Tomcat itself ??

Wrong thread. This thread is about Heatblurs map development.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wel, well, well

I vote for the pacific map. There's a lot o water out there and no t a lot to model ;-)

Besides this - F14 and A6M would be a perfect match to the pacific theatre

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Wel, well, well

I vote for the pacific map. There's a lot o water out there and no t a lot to model ;-)

Besides this - F14 and A6M would be a perfect match to the pacific theatre

The pacific map was WW2 Iwo Jima, which was planned to acompany the F-4U, but after the split up of LNS, the F-4U is now with M3 and not with Heatblur.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Big maps don't really require more computing power, just more storage. If it's done right.

And it depends on the terrain. Mountainous terrains have much higher demands on your hardware than rather flat terrains or the sea.

Tornado3 small.jpg

And it depends on the terrain. Mountainous terrains have much higher demands on your hardware than rather flat terrains or the sea.

I don't think that the shape of the ground surface has too much impact on the performance with the recent GPUs. The objects like trees buildings roads and its LOD distances, shadows and textures affect the performance much much more. I think the most demanding for the GPU in DCS is flying over areas with lots of building roads and other object like trees and vehicles . If you fly to a place with mountains without any object but trees in sight it is just as smooth as flying above a flat ground with the same view.

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

A Scandinavia-themed map would indeed be amazing for this module! Lots of unpenetrated forests, lakes, rolling hills, very few towns, some sea, all this on a huuuge map so the Viggen can spread its wings. :-)

Amen x2

+1 Skandinavia MAP "bordering" with CCCP to be able to simulate a possible cold war encounter . :D

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

What we really need is the baltic sea in the 80s and it is URGENT, and attention that is not only for the viggen, Razbam is working in the Falklands but there is no plane of the time in exchange for the Baltic Viggen- F-5 - F-18 and many more ready for that map, this map is really what our community should bid in the short term, I do not think I'm the only lover of the planes of the end of the cold war, right ????

Baltic Sea will be great and worth it for Cold War as well for the present. But talking about business will be better make first the Iran/Iraq/Saudi Arabia border because: Two important things: 3 wars to simulate there, the amount of work is not that much and will be a good first step for the first map to jump later for a more complex Baltic Sea with tones of details and work time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I see the potential for Heatblur to combine a possible theater for the viggen and the F-14.

"Just" cover the Baltic area, Sweden for the Viggen, Norway for the F-5 and Finnland for the Hornet, plus a bit of the USSR for the upcoming MiG-23.

Then just add maybe Iceland and some northern bit of the UK and voila, you get to cover the F-14 and the Harrier.

... i got carried away, what was this about? A, right, a Baltic Map for the F-14 and Viggen together... just do this :D

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Everybody asks for maps and have no idea of the resources, detail and PC needed both to create and run such maps.. In the midle of Europe I bet you cant run a map over 250 km radius... Elevations, buildings infrastructure, forests, unthinkable with current tech.

I mean I would kill for a baltic sea map, but I dont think is doable now...

... i got carried away, what was this about? A, right, a Baltic Map for the F-14 and Viggen together... just do this :D

I second this idea. :thumbup:

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Everybody asks for maps and have no idea of the resources, detail and PC needed both to create and run such maps.. In the midle of Europe I bet you cant run a map over 250 km radius... Elevations, buildings infrastructure, forests, unthinkable with current tech.

I mean I would kill for a baltic sea map, but I dont think is doable now...

Exactly. People are bitching about the PG map performance and most of it is plain desert. A Central Europe map would be unplayable unless object count was too small and or a LOT of sea was involved.

Exactly. People are bitching about the PG map performance and most of it is plain desert. A Central Europe map would be unplayable unless object count was too small and or a LOT of sea was involved.

a lot of sea and that's it, no problem. Many of us will die of old before seeing what we like in DCS I would not mind a small map that expands with time :)

• 1 month later...
a lot of sea and that's it, no problem. Many of us will die of old before seeing what we like in DCS I would not mind a small map that expands with time :)

... with time and technologie.

Now, object count is still a problem. But will it be in the future? May I just mention other games, where objects out of visual range/reach are not loaded?

Even though I personally think a huge map is nice, Im not really "asking" for one.

I think a map can grow with time and tech. A Baltic Map could do that as well.

They could start with parts which have less objects.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 2 weeks later...

map

Hi to all..i would really like to see a world map inspired on the current maps...that would bring a all new level for this simulation.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

i got carried away, what was this about? A, right, a Baltic Map for the F-14 and Viggen together... just do this :D

Wonder about the thing that an aircraft carrier would be inoperable on the Baltic sea. Just getting it in via the tight Danish straits is a challenge - once there you cannot drive it off the shore, because it's such a small pond... :huh:

The Baltic sea is an intense geopolitical hotspot though. WW2, Cold War or present day. The Gulf of Finland is the most trafficked seaway in the world and obviously Russia's #1 commercial sea connection. Would you go north there's Murmansk which would be more on the military side.

WW2 there were some dramatic moments in the Baltics though most of the areas around the Baltic sea basically got steamrolled both ways, Fi+Sw land area basically untouched in that conflict. Cold War, the latest Soviet fighter jets like Su-27 or Mig-29 were first seen and photographed by any Western nation over the Gulf of Finland. Soviet first strike scenarios from Baltics or Poland versus Sweden/Denmark are a wargaming classic too. If you'd believe assertive Swedish neutrality you'd get threeway scenarios as well (think Air Superiority had one of those as the biggest furballs). Modern day, tensions are rising but not sure what kind of scenario you would roll. Both Sweden and Russia have a strong presence around the sea.

Lots of people living here would love a map covering the Nordics or the Baltics, there's quite a few possibilities. My problem with a Baltic sea map is that most of the land around it is just lowlands - you'd have to go inland Sweden or Norway to get some really big and nice mountains & hills.

Distance from St. Petersburg (Leningrad) to Oslo is a mere 1086km, so one of the best map ideas could come from that. Make it East-West as the basic setup. Helsinki to Gdynia is 737km (NNE-SSW) so with a little strectching and much of the lowlands being low-fidelity areas you could cram in the suburbs of Moscow, small parts of Finland and Poland, much interesting land in Sweden and even include parts of Norway and the North Sea - so you can plausibly fly in your tomcats from long range - not to mention pretty much the whole of Denmark. A little bit of a grandiose undertaking perhaps :D

Another possibility for the Nordics would be Lapland and the Ice sea. That would be something different although parties in a potential conflict would probably be more limited. There would be a workable if monotonous alteration of terrain with fjells+plains going to real mountains and then the big sea.

Trying to do the whole of Sweden wouldn't make sense as it's a very long country. Going north from Stockholm it's also fairly monotonous with the sea on the right and hills to the left. Besides the neighbors being Norway and Finland there's a bit of a lack of obvious aggressors.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I really like your thoughts on a possible baltic map Varis! You have some really good points there!

A map that would cover southern scandinavia, St. Petersburg, the baltic countries and northern Poland would definitely be very interesting. If western norwegian coast could be added as well, it would be outstanding :thumbup:

In this regard I can recommend the book War With Russia by General Sir Richard Shirreff who was the NATO DSACEUR untill 2014. In this book he describes how a potential war about the baltics might look like. In this fictional story the Royal Navy sends its aircraft carrier, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, into the baltic sea. I found that a bit odd tbh, because I agree with your assessment, that carriers in the baltic sea live a risky life and in the book it doesn't play out very well for the carrier either...

Tornado3 small.jpg

From the PoV of scenario writing the Baltic sea area could be fascinating because you can spin it in so many directions, thanks to the political and historical variety. Look first at Nordic countries during the Cold War and their different security solutions: NATO (Denmark and Norway) - well armed neutrality (Sweden) - strict neutrality with friendship and special arrangements with the Sovietu Union (Finland) - not to mention the Warsaw Pact countries. Or the political changes in Finland, going from a de facto ally of the Nazi Germany (WW2) to neutrality (Cold War) to NATO peace partnership/EU (modern day). (And a similar development for the Baltic states.) You get strange things like the Åland islands being demilitarized - the principal achievement of the League of Nations being the resolution of that dispute between Sweden and Finland some 100 years back, before disbanding when WW2 started. Also Finland operating both the Mig-21 and the Draken and so on.

Thank you for the update Nick, it's good to hear where we stand. The PG indeed is a great map and will be very fitting for the F-14. So we will have ample opportunities to properly employ our Tomcats. Still, it will be nice to eventually have a map at some point with enough sea-room for the classic fleet defense scenario. And of course to have the proper habitat for the Viggen.

You are probably right in the aspect that the F-14 and JAS/AJS-.37 are birds for very different ponds. A Baltic map would fit the Viggen like a glove as it's its natural environment.

Come to think of it the map could have great variety with the sea and at least 3 world class elaborate island systems, the Chydonian Spit in Lithuania, grain plains in Denmark, Poland and Belorussia, hills, mountains and great lakes around Sweden, lake infested environments in Finland (IF you stretch to the Saimaa lake system, otherwise only on the very northern edge of the map) and huge swamps in Estonia (and Belorussia? Check Operation Bagration). Not sure if we have construction projects like Dubai but there are high rise buildings at least in modern Riga. This map could be well much more varied than PG and could be very interesting for Combined Arms or helicopters.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS