Watch the Devildogs mission is INCREDIBLE

bennyboy9800

In that sense, please feel free to bombard me with feedback, I will take it all on board.

'Watch the Devildogs' is the finest mission I've ever played in DCS. I bring a heavy F-14B bias to this, but to have the chance to drop GBUs without stepping into the back seat is huge.

What a great mission guys. Please do more!

Yeah, haha, I noticed the hornets landing on the Tarawa, too, lol. It's kinda funny. But what must have happened is that the landing waypoint slipped over to the Tarawa. Should be an easy fix. Thank you.

The rolling through static planes unfortunately we cannot do anything about. In a way I am happy that it is like that, or else we'd prolly have to deal with mission breaking collisions, etc, and could not offer nicely equipped decks, etc...

Thank you for your feedback guys.

PS: the JTAC is not fully realistic btw. I approximated it a bit, so that the text would not get overboarding and it would stay in the mission flow and provide a bit of both: a realistic feel, but also some suspension for a story to unfold, I hope that makes sense.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Is the mission bugged?

No mission start message. Nothing is happening at the AO, no moving Marines column, after the massage, no JTAC, nothing?

Flew the mission 2 times, until I had 3000ibs left, used time accelerate.

Hmm have the same problem. After I check in with the marines, nothing happens. Will try again

you mean you hear Jester check in with Bravo and then nothing anymore? that should not be possible, unless you use time acceleration after that. if you do, it will break the mission, it’s not meant for that.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

you mean you hear Jester check in with Bravo and then nothing anymore? that should not be possible, unless you use time acceleration after that. if you do, it will break the mission, it’s not meant for that.

I didn’t use time accel. And yes after jester check in, I was orbiting around for 20-25 mins and nothing happened. I tried flying at different altitudes to see if that could activate a trigger. I will give it another go tomorrow. It seems like a fantastic mission

• 2 months later...

Just to say thx for this mission. It was great! Buying PG was worth it just for this experience. Want more! :)

Questions:

Confirm both IA and full version working, although AWACS/Jester sees the Mi-8 before the dialogs and it makes the pilot confused - attack or wait for the orders. Tested both and it didn't break mission.

Is the Case I supposed to be fully simulated here? Last message I saw was "Report 'I see you'".

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Had some great fun flying the first half of this in coop with a friend. Great voice work and sound, nice briefing package and very good presentation.

But then we lost sight of the Mi-8, and after a while just suddenly exploded, to our surprise!

I realize there's always a need for some railroading when building a compelling mission with a story, but to be that harsh in punishing the player is a bit off-putting. Chew me out, deduct score, but to just explode without any chance of defending one self after a long, long flight is just.... well, let's say we weren't really keen to get back in the cockpit and refly the mission that evening.

Try the pitching deck mission. Not as good, but also very good.

Thanks. I need to find time to replace the pesky computer generated voices in pitching deck lol... You can also check out operation timber (caucasus) and night hunter - also both from me in a similar fashion, but without voice overs. really wish I had more time, I would love to do more missions like that for you guys. but campaign first now.

Night Hunter is very hard btw, and long. Best plaid coop, too. Once we have it the wingman will most likely get tarps.

Heatblur Simulations

Questions:

Confirm both IA and full version working, although AWACS/Jester sees the Mi-8 before the dialogs and it makes the pilot confused - attack or wait for the orders. Tested both and it didn't break mission.

Is the Case I supposed to be fully simulated here? Last message I saw was "Report 'I see you'".

Yes, intended as such with the helos, for those who use labels, as unfortunately they will jump them prematurely and since it is also quickstart I did not want to turn labels of.

Atfer the "see me" basically intended to use the in game ATC, Jester's reply where he tells you to tune it, is the last voice over. I kept it like that, because most players dont fly the case1 exactly enough, so trigger's could break easily.

@Erenthal, I hear you, I might increase the time. Did you get a message though?

It should say that the helos were able to vector in low flying f4s on you, who shot you down. I wanted some sort of punishment on each objective, to increase the impression of urgence and necessity, as the ground troops depend on you. IRL losing a friendly unit is punishment enough, but I was looking for something that really hurt (for a change, usually I dont do that) and hence I gave a certain time on each objective that then triggers a very unfortunate event for the player.

Heatblur Simulations

@IronMike: I saw the text, but it was still a bit sudden :)

I understand your rationale, and up to that point it was a fun mission so we'll probably go at it again some other night! But a bit more time might be nice, maybe a warning or call out/spot if you go to long without finding the bogey.

Looking forward to more missions/campaigns, and especially coop ones!

Edited by Erenthal

@IronMike: I saw the text, but it was still a bit sudden :)

I understand your rationale, and up to that point it was a fun mission so we'll probably go at it again some other night! But a bit more time might be nice, maybe a warning or call out/spot if you go to long without finding the bogey.

In my first try I lost it too and died. It took 8 minutes from their spawn. I don't think adding time will make it any better. There's little chance of finding it when you don't know where it can be. Mission fail message would be enough for a punishment but of course the best would be to actually get those fighters attack us and the convoy.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Interesting to read.

In the german language, we do not use the word "Teufelshund" every day but regulary.

We don't use it in a bad way, more the opposite. We use it for someone who did something very brave with little to none chance of success. No matter if he's a good guy or a bad one.

I don't have any idea about the historical meaning, its for us just a normal word we use.

Edit:

Still need to think about it and found that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=teufelshunde&amp=true

So is it really that bad to use the word? Would have never thought that, as we are useing it more in a positive way...

Thanks. I need to find time to replace the pesky computer generated voices in pitching deck lol... [/Quote]

I like that it is a realistic mission, and does not feel like ace combat. Well done, congrats.

What are you useing to generate the voices? I also use TTS in my missions, but what I use does not sound as good as yours.

You can also check out operation timber (caucasus) and night hunter - also both from me in a similar fashion, but without voice overs. really wish I had more time, I would love to do more missions like that for you guys. but campaign first now.

Will try those, thanks :thumbup:.

Night Hunter is very hard btw, and long. Best plaid coop, too. Once we have it the wingman will most likely get tarps.

Sounds good, me and my squad like that :pilotfly:.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Just to let you all know, for future reference, I'd like you all to think of the word "devildog" like one thinks of the "N" word. it may have started as a WWI German word of respect (teufelhunden) for Marines fighting in France, but now it's "our word". We use it on each other more as a perjorative than in any other sense. We call this "devilldogging" another Marine, probably a junior Marine (we would also call this Marine a "boot" - another word you all should not feel privileged to use unless you are also a Marine) after doing something particularly stupid.

Devildog is no longer a term of endearment, it's used within our organization as a knife to slit throats in order to maintain good order and discipline. Using this word if not a Marine is a good way to get yourself punched in the mouth by a Marine in a bar if the number of drinks is right. Here though, I'll kindly ask you to cease and desist. You didn't know, because unless you are are Marine there's no possible way to know this small part of our culture, so forgiven. In the future, however, please avoid use of the word "devildog". Thank you.

While I appreciate the sentiment and will most certainly take it under advise in the future, please do not forget that this is still a work of art - which in general is free as in being fiction - and secondly the mission has been tested and advised on by (three) former Marines, who all served several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, one of them who is also voicing in the mission. Neither of them have voiced concerns about the title. In further quoting "Generation Kill", I also hope that it is clear that if anything, the mission and the title are a pure work of fiction and meant as a hommage to the United States Marine Corps, which I respect very much. In the end it is also a title that simply lends itself, and I beg to differ: comparing it to the N-word is a bit far fetched, or in my opinion does unjustice to the serverity of the N-word and the horrible history connected with it. While the Marines most certainly suffered great sacrifice for our freedom, in the US and abroad, I think the difference to those who endured slavery and racism throughout the centuries is clear enough, as to exclude any form of comparison, where comparison is not needed. Thank you very much for your input though, it is definitely an aspect I did not consider before. :)

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Just to let you all know, for future reference, I'd like you all to think of the word "devildog" like one thinks of the "N" word. it may have started as a WWI German word of respect (teufelhunden) for Marines fighting in France, but now it's "our word". We use it on each other more as a perjorative than in any other sense. We call this "devilldogging" another Marine, probably a junior Marine (we would also call this Marine a "boot" - another word you all should not feel privileged to use unless you are also a Marine) after doing something particularly stupid.

Devildog is no longer a term of endearment, it's used within our organization as a knife to slit throats in order to maintain good order and discipline. Using this word if not a Marine is a good way to get yourself punched in the mouth by a Marine in a bar if the number of drinks is right. Here though, I'll kindly ask you to cease and desist. You didn't know, because unless you are are Marine there's no possible way to know this small part of our culture, so forgiven. In the future, however, please avoid use of the word "devildog". Thank you.

The only guys that actually get all itchy about it anymore are boots. *cough*.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Wow...

For the love of Chesty Puller, I thank him you don't speak for all Marines. I don't know where you Googled the crap you just spewed but everything you just said is absolute garbage. "Devil Dog" is not racist by any means and your accusation as such is appalling. The ONLY accurate part was a German word I've never even heard of, and it sure as hell never came up in OCS, Flight School, in the Fleet, or ANYWHERE else, EVER. Not once, not EVER have I ever heard any Marine, Enlisted or Officer say anything even remotely close to what you typed, and I worked with them for years. If you were ever under my command and I heard that absurdity, we'd have a nice little heart to heart chat behind our hangar and try and explain to you some of the finer points in life. If that didn't sink in, well I guess we'd have ourselves a little shake-n-bake, and that's not fun in the 110 degree Yuma heat.

Punched in the mouth??? If you actually are a Marine, I suggest you button up that trap and never say what you just said out loud, ever. That's a great way to identify yourself as a Gomer and get you and your fellow Marines in some unwanted extra PT.

3 seconds of research on my end to figure out you're puking up Wikipedia info. Jesus, this is some absurd, ridiculous crap. Just stop it.

For whoever it was that used Devil Dog, USE IT FREELY and ignore the above stupidity.

Semper Fi, Marines.

Edited by Dreadnaut

Dreadnaut

Virtual Blue Angels #2

For the love of Chesty Puller, I thank him you don't speak for all Marines. I don't know where you Googled the crap you just spewed but everything you just said is absolute garbage. "Devil Dog" is not racist by any means and your accusation as such is appalling. The ONLY accurate part was a German word I've never even heard of, and it sure as hell never came up in OCS, Flight School, in the Fleet, or ANYWHERE else, EVER. Not once, not EVER have I ever heard any Marine, Enlisted or Officer say anything even remotely close to what you typed, and I worked with them for years. If you were ever under my command and I heard that absurdity, we'd have a nice little heart to heart chat behind our hangar and try and explain to you some of the finer points in life. If that didn't sink in, well I guess we'd have ourselves a little shake-n-bake, and that's not fun in the 110 degree Yuma heat.

Punched in the mouth??? If you actually are a Marine, I suggest you button up that trap and never say what you just said out loud, ever. That's a great way to identify yourself as a Gomer and get you and your fellow Marines in some unwanted extra PT.

3 seconds of research on my end to figure out you're puking up Wikipedia info. Jesus, this is some absurd, ridiculous crap. Just stop it.

For whoever it was that used Devil Dog, USE IT FREELY and ignore the above stupidity.

Semper Fi, Marines.

It looks to me like he found that Marine Times article from a few years back. Or again, he's some boot who got tired of Gunny hitting him with the "Hey there Devil Dog"

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

I don't know why people see the need to come to these places and try to push other people around, because they were there in real life or some such. It really irks me and I've seen people get away with that in other places, but I'm glad someone here called that out for what it is.

And please don't change the name of the mission. It's just fine.

Modules - F-18, F-16, Spitfire, F-5, Supercarrier, F-14, A10-C, MiG-21, Huey

And please don't change the name of the mission. It's just fine.

I never intended to. One of the advisers/ testers of above mentioned Marines was actually a retired USMC Lt. Col. - who besides being an accomplished officer is about one of the proudest Marines I know lol. If he says it's fine, and Dread says it's fine, you know it's fine. I have quite some dear friends who were Marines, which is why the Marines are specially dear to me, which is why I wanted to make a mission in their honor. And that's why it is called devildog, because in german, where it originates from, it means one thing, and one thing only, and that is "badass" in the most positive possible way. While I certainly respect Trev's opinion, any common definition regards it as a friendly compliment, which makes its use with a positive connotation common sense. :)

Language is an awesome thing, gentlemen. Exploring it, is great fun. It almost always ends up in literature... :music_whistling::D

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

• 4 weeks later...

Mission not working

I have problem with the mission. I fly to the first waypoint and check in but after that nothing happens, no convoy, no jtac, no task. I spent half an hour flyng in circle over wp1 and 2 but nothing.

I never used accelerated time.

Can please someone help me?

I flew the mission twice and love it. I'll fly it again.

I noticed after shooting down the first Mi-8 the second just disappears. I checked on Tacview to confirm too. It happened both times I flew this mission. Thanks

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,