Would you pay for a VR optimised F-14? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #31
Strikeeagle345

Odyssey+ on a standard 1070. No issues here. I get 45+ FPS.

Make sure you aren't over doing the PD / Super Sampling (eventually you get diminished returns in FPS and spotting ability) and trying to push the shadows. That will kill you.

Strike
C.O. VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #32
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikeeagle345 View Post
Odyssey+ on a standard 1070. No issues here. I get 45+ FPS.

Make sure you aren't over doing the PD / Super Sampling (eventually you get diminished returns in FPS and spotting ability) and trying to push the shadows. That will kill you.
That doesn't sound very good. I get 120fps with a 1060 6g card in the Hornet.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #33
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
In VR or monitor? 120fps in vr is far fetched but on a monitor yes I get 120fps on my 1060 6g.
Eaglewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #34
Bearfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
? I thought we were talking about VR?

If you are getting 120fps in your VR now, then not only you have nothing to worry about with any module DCS throws at you over the next decade, you probably should lend your machine to physicists to let them run their models in yoru spare time. Speed up science 10000x!

OTH, I was getting 160+ fps easy in 2D on my 4K 4 years ago, with all settings maxed out. In VR, I learned to live with 45 fps.
Bearfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #35
BuzzU

I thought he was talking about a monitor. I didn't know a 1070 would even run VR?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #36
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
? I thought we were talking about VR?

If you are getting 120fps in your VR now, then not only you have nothing to worry about with any module DCS throws at you over the next decade, you probably should lend your machine to physicists to let them run their models in yoru spare time. Speed up science 10000x!

OTH, I was getting 160+ fps easy in 2D on my 4K 4 years ago, with all settings maxed out. In VR, I learned to live with 45 fps.
Sarcasm becomes you.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #37
GunSlingerAUS

Hey IronMike

Thanks again for your reply - it's specifically when I look down vertically from the HUD, so that the cockpit fills almost all of my screen. I think it may have to do with the TV system being enabled, as when it's off the fps drop is only approximately 10%. I'll try to get a track for you in the next few days. It's also not so bad when I have textures set to low, which I believe uses lower res textures for the cockpit?

And just to reinforce my praise for you guys - the Tomcat is by far the best aircraft in DCS , and I don't expect it to work perfectly in VR as all aircraft have issues using VR. It's just that the beautifully detailed F-14 cockpit seems to cause further performance issues on top of the existing VR performance issues. I would still wholeheartedly recommend this module for all DCS flyers.
Intel i7-9700K; 32GB DDR4 2666; Aorus RTX 2080 Ti; Asus Hero XI motherboard; Samsung 2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSD; 1TB ADATA mSATA SSD; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Sennheiser GSX1200 headphone amp w/ BeyerDynamix MMX300 headphones; LG 34gk950f 34" 3440 x 1440 display; HP Reverb HMD; Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and TFRP pedals; TrackIR5; Razer Viper Ultimate mouse; Corsair K65 keyboard; one very happy gamer behind it all!
GunSlingerAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #38
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post
Hey IronMike

Thanks again for your reply - it's specifically when I look down vertically from the HUD, so that the cockpit fills almost all of my screen. I think it may have to do with the TV system being enabled, as when it's off the fps drop is only approximately 10%. I'll try to get a track for you in the next few days. It's also not so bad when I have textures set to low, which I believe uses lower res textures for the cockpit?

And just to reinforce my praise for you guys - the Tomcat is by far the best aircraft in DCS , and I don't expect it to work perfectly in VR as all aircraft have issues using VR. It's just that the beautifully detailed F-14 cockpit seems to cause further performance issues on top of the existing VR performance issues. I would still wholeheartedly recommend this module for all DCS flyers.
Ok, thanks for the feedback, bud. Let us keep following up on this, maybe there is a problem we did not discover yet and can fix it, at least I hope so.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #39
MPK

I just discovered this thread. I had no idea the tomcat was such a resource hog. In the F-14 take off instant action mission I get a frame time of around 14 ms as soon as I enter the cockpit with my current settings according to steam VR.

Today I tried the hornet, which I have barely touched since the tomcat came out (and haven't tried in VR until today). In the hornet take off mission (with parked hornets next to me) with the same settings I get a frame time of 11 ms, a difference of nearly 30%. I was able to enable shadows and 2x MSAA and get the same frame time as the tomcat with all that disabled.

I have been struggling with the crappy framerate since I got VR thinking that something was wrong with my PC. I guess it was the tomcat this whole time.
MPK is offline   Reply With Quote