Feature Request: Playlists and Saved Games folder for Tape Players (Viggen & Tomcat)

Home Fries

I'm loving the tape players (especially the Meteor soundtrack), but there are a couple of features that would really put this functionality over the top. I get that an MP3 decoder is probably a non-starter, so I won't go there, but these features can be applied to the existing OGG player.

First, allow us to put substitute OGG tracks in the Saved Games folder using the same structure as the Mods folder in the DCS install. This saves us from having to mess with our main install and makes substitutions easier.

Even better would be to allow a playlist in the form of a delimited text file in Saved Games. For example, a comma-delimited playlist could read

"Song1","Danger Zone"
"Song2","..\..\..\walkman tracks\mighty wings.ogg"
"Song4","d:\music\steve stevens\topgun theme.ogg"

The example shows a file in the existing folder (Danger Zone.ogg), as well as files using relative and absolute paths. Also, the absence of "Song3" in the playlist would imply that the existing Song3.ogg would not be substituted (because I want to hear "Fear the Bones!" :thumbup: ). Not only would the playlist allow us to reference files in common locations, but would allow us to keep the OGG tracks properly titled and we could modify the playlist in lieu of renaming files.

Ideally, the playlist could be selected in the Special Options menu, but having a key macro to cycle playlists using the kneeboard would not be an unwelcome feature. For all we know, Doug Masters walked to the jet with his entire Queen collection and not just the mix for the movie! :D

Edited by Home Fries

Or, just get Voice Attack and control VLC or Spotify with it.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

There's a plugin for windows media player ("WMP+", see here) allowing to map custom shortcuts, and some 3rd party media players (foobar, winamp, vlc...) have a native keyboard shortcuts settings page.

Although the tape player is a very good easter egg (and the F-14 soundtrack is just awesome), using a dedicated media player is more convenient...

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Guys, there's no question that running a media player in the background is a viable alternative. However, there is another consideration for using the in-game tape player (at least for the Tomcat): it's multi-crew!

So that means if I'm flying as RIO and start the tape player, my pilot hears it too. Imagine queuing up "Also Sprach Zarathustra" while you're conducting a low pass/dump and burn for your buddies at the airfield!

This also brings up a potential complication for a custom playlist: the pilot and RIO in a MP session would need the same playlist to hear the same thing. Here are some possible alternate flows for differing playlists (in these examples, we'll assume that the pilot has the playlist and the RIO does not):

1) Pilot and RIO don't both have the playlist selected on kneeboard:

1a) RIO's playlist reverts to playlist on Special Options menu.

1b) RIO's playlist reverts to default (hello, Meteor).

2) Pilot and RIO have same playlist name, but playlists are not identical:

2a) Each playlist plays as listed on local machine.