This Section!

• 2 weeks later...

Help With Arduino and Helios

I am looking for a tutorial on wiring a simple home made switch box (6 on-off toggles) to an Arduino Uno with Helios to act as a simple keyboard emulator.

If anyone can help with:

1.The wiring of the Arduino and

2. The necessary profile, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

Mich.

Edited by michelip
Forgot Heading

Can't find a tutorial or guide for what you need? Ask about it here. And if you know what someone else is missing, help them out!

Thanks

ED Team

Hi NineLine ,

Further to my post on 30/11/19, lacking any response, plan B is that I would like help for an alternative, similar project:

I will try to program the Arduino Uno R3 using DCS BIOS instead of Helios. All I need is step-by-step instructions to have a single on-off toggle switch activate a function in the DCS Warthog cockpit. (e.g. Battery on/off) I have read the Arduino beginners' guide and trawled the videos but they are either incomprehensible to me, or off-subject.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mich.

Getting started with DCSBIOS

Hi NineLine ,

Further to my post on 30/11/19, lacking any response, plan B is that I would like help for an alternative, similar project:

I will try to program the Arduino Uno R3 using DCS BIOS instead of Helios. All I need is step-by-step instructions to have a single on-off toggle switch activate a function in the DCS Warthog cockpit. (e.g. Battery on/off) I have read the Arduino beginners' guide and trawled the videos but they are either incomprehensible to me, or off-subject.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2356932Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Mich.

Hi Michelip

I know how you feel! When I first looked at moving from using Bodnar joystick boards to DCSBIOS, it took me many reads of the documentation to begin to understand. But suddenly it all fell into place. Ian (FSF) has done a fantastic job with DCSBIOS and the most recent iteration has made it even clearer and easier to set up.

Start here, http://https://dcs-bios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html and I am sure you will soon have a single toggle running. After that it gets easier, but also harder as your ambitions increase.

Also, all the help for this kind of work is found in the DCSBIOS discussion thread, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2356932, rather than in this section.

Good luck, and happy soldering!

Molevich

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Hi Michelip

I know how you feel! When I first looked at moving from using Bodnar joystick boards to DCSBIOS, it took me many reads of the documentation to begin to understand. But suddenly it all fell into place. Ian (FSF) has done a fantastic job with DCSBIOS and the most recent iteration has made it even clearer and easier to set up.

Start here, http://https://dcs-bios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html and I am sure you will soon have a single toggle running. After that it gets easier, but also harder as your ambitions increase.

Also, all the help for this kind of work is found in the DCSBIOS discussion thread, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2356932, rather than in this section.

Good luck, and happy soldering!

Molevich

Thanks Molevich. You've given me hope. Will follow your links.

Best regards,

Mich.

DCS-Bios - Beginners' Help Thread needed

Hi to All, I have built a toggle switch box, and have spent many days trying to program a simple physical toggle switch to DCS A-10C using an Arduino Uno and DCS-Bios. I have had some good help from Molevich and have printed and read all the guides and, tried to find specific help in the forums. Although I have successfully installed Arduino and DCS Bios, I cannot install the Arduino library zip, which tells me I have "No valid library...". So I have hit a brick wall.

The purpose of this post, however, is not to solve that problem, but to suggest a dedicated beginners' thread for these two programs (and perhaps also Helios); a help site for those of us who cannot get to the start line. Whatever the guides say, these programs, brilliant as they are, are not intuitive or user-friendly.

I have no trouble following step-by-step guides, but inevitably I am stumped by some unexpected problem not addressed by the guide (e.g. an option that is supposed to be available but is "greyed out", or missing from a list). Such glitches are trivial and elementary to many users, but not me. General help is sometimes found on the forums, but rarely can one get the specific problem solved. YouTube videos are often great in content, but of poor sound and video quality, and are rushed. In my view those trying to help often over-estimate the capacity of those they are instructing.

If we beginners could get really detailed help to just execute one complete elementary task (like activating a warning light or toggle switch) we would be in the race.

The more people are successfully helped, the more there are to help others.

I hope this suggestion resonates with some of you.

If, like me , you are at your wits' end, use this thread to seek help. I am sure the more experienced users will share their expertise..

Regards,

Mich

Referring to my post of yesterday, I seek help with the following:

Project: To connect 6 simple on/off toggle switches to DCS A-10C using DCS-Bios with an Arduino Uno R3 board.

Current State of Project: Latest DCS-Bios and Arduino IDE installed (correctly, I hope). Also DCS-bios -Arduino Library Master Zip, Source code zip, DCS Bios Expanded.zip. All in a folder on desktop. DCS-Bios 0.10.0 shows in my (Name)>Saved Games folder. QUERY: It was not clear to me from the download site which were the essential files, so I installed everything that looked relevant. Can someone provide a list of files required with info on their correct destination location?

Switch box completed and attached to 6 Arduino pins and to ground . QUERY Not sure which pins are best for this purpose). Does it matter?

QUERY:Arduino shows green ON light but also flashing orange light. What is this?

Problem Encountered: I start DCS , Arduino and DCS-Bios-Hub. In Arduino, I click SKETCH > INCLUDE LIBRARY >ADD Zip Library. My USER / (name) folder then appears, but without any Zip folder I can click. This folder does not show the Saved Games sub-folder of my User (name)folder.

In addition, I get a message in white on black background in Arduino window "Invalid library found in(user\name\documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch..." etc. I can get no further.

Running Win 10 / 64

Thanks,

Mich