DCS on Mac Book Pro

I think they fixed the temperature problem waaay back. It's not as bad now.

Thanks. Needed a chuckle. :lol:

P.S. Why do people post their specs on the bottom of their signatures? That is what gives me "chuckles". That's the DCS dickmetrics, or something?

Edited by Cunning_Fox

P.S. Why do people post their specs on the bottom of their signatures? That is what gives me "chuckles". That's the DCS dickmetrics, or something?

I dont think they fixed anything on the 15" MBPr.

After hours of flying that silver tablet gets hot, very hot. There is no way you can fix this imho.

Try it out and find out yourself, how hot it can get. I am not playing on my Mac anymore, got this rig. Also way too few USB ports and the new ones are all C, baaahhhh.

Yes you can, but if you can afford a MBPr you should be able to get a proper rig too.

The rig info is for troubleshooting and comparing, so no one who has it needs to type all that spec stuff every time. It's a mirror of what is being used for gaming DCS.

And yes, most of us are far too old, have family, kids, grand children, we dont compare our &%$&/( anymore, that is not what we are here for.

my tip, better watch your language or some admin my kick your .... ED Forum is a nice place with nice language, respect and grace ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the reminder! I have signatures off so I never see mine or anyone else's. Turns out I had my old specs in there! I had specs in mine because I used to be in the Tester Team and they liked knowing right away what my spec were when I raised an issue, so it was for an actual purpose, but anyway I'm no longer a tester nor do I have that computer anymore.

So fixed that!

Well, fair enough.

I've already been banned on Steam Forums for daring to speak out against VEAO that removed a key feature from the Hawk module and therefore I was insulted and banned by the moderator.

ED forums are the same, perhaps. Makes you feel like you're on a beach vacation, but there is a sniper in the coconut trees watching your every move and if you don't smile - you get shot.

On a side note, perhaps investing in that rig is a good option, since I DON'T want to melt my already overpriced Mac. The whole point of my posts is that you CAN game on it.

Yes, you can, done that for 1 year but I would not recommend it.

The forum is actually ok, stay polite and phrase your concerns in an adult manner. Anything goes if you stay true and polite I'd say.

The red dot will go away, lol, been there too.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Because when you post in the performance thread, and you don't list your specs, no one knows what the baseline is.

And you always catch more flies with honey. Starting off with "I can kick your ass" probably isn't the way to go, but that's just me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The point is not boasting, the point being - I can kick ass on Mac.

It's like saying "My car is good enough, to win the race. If you want proof - we can race right now."

I realise how it came off looking, but I can't find another way to say what I mean. And, I wanted to say something to the people who have a "platform superiority complex", posting pics that demean macintosh and people that use them (I know, I was one of those guys that giggled at people that said they game on Mac way back).

Apart from the EFI (and even EFI) when Apple went x86 the systems were essentially Intel reference designs, still are. Indeed in the early years of x86 Macs, they were up in the top in the windows compatibility list.

I'm not sure I'd run games on my now well aged MBP or Mac Mini servers but in the day my dual, dual core xeon Mac Pro kicked arse big time for a few years.

Of course I have PC for DCS only because well lets face it Mac ain't the most pocket compatible hardware platform to upgrade. :cry: :P

If you've got it and it works, it works.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The point is not boasting, the point being - I can kick ass on Mac.

It's like saying "My car is good enough, to win the race. If you want proof - we can race right now."

Actually, your comment came off as a platform independent statement indicating that you knew everything about every aircraft in the sim and were more skilled than everyone else on the forum. This ludicrous statement had nothing to do with the fact that you use a Mac.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

I have used DCC (27-inch, late 2013) to run DCS for more than half a year. It is also used as a server. Basically, there is not much problem. Sometimes it will crash. I don't know why, but I can continue the networking and games. The DCS currently in use is version 2.5 openbeta and 2.5 official version. Imac good quality This is one of the reasons I would like to use, I am performing DCS at 2560x1440 resolution.

Actually, your comment came off as a platform independent statement indicating that you knew everything about every aircraft in the sim and were more skilled than everyone else on the forum. This ludicrous statement had nothing to do with the fact that you use a Mac.

It could be a mac apple culture thing tho?:D One reason I don't buy any apple is...

The manufacturing processes of Apple

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It could be a mac apple culture thing tho?:D One reason I don't buy any apple is...

The manufacturing processes of Apple

This is not only Apple, all the big ones do it like this and sadly it's not only USA

but also Europe that went this way.

Short sighted profit wishes lead to desaster, we will see it happen, it happens in front of our eyes, NOW.

This is not only Apple, all the big ones do it like this and sadly it's not only USA

but also Europe that went this way.

Short sighted profit wishes lead to desaster, we will see it happen, it happens in front of our eyes, NOW.

Very True, some just go way lower than others in these countries for profit, others list and show exactly how they do things to compete in the marketplace.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Very True, some just go way lower than others in these countries for profit, others list and show exactly how they do things to compete in the marketplace.

This has been happening for DECADES. First the low cost was Japan, then Korea/Taiwan, then China, now, Philippines, and now Vietnam is getting into the action.

Same is true for Intra US. New York folks moved to Dallas, for example from IT perspective.

But back to the original thread, I can't imagine playing DCS on a MAC the HW spec lags soooooooo far behind. If it was any other company doing that to their customers, they would have gone out of business. That speaks volumes about brand/company loyalty to Apple. But I get that not everyone can have a computer for work and have a dedicated rig for DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The big difference between MAC and WIN is that the former is by far more reliable in a everyday scenario, the tools and apps that come with it are far more complete than MS does, just look at TimeMachine which never let me down in 6 years 24/7 use and then look at MS' attempt over years to deliver a working backup that just WORKS ! ..not to speak of the features TM allows you to use, those features are only accessible in Acronis Server Suites with LOTS of addons, I know that because I operate both for years, this is a 2k+€ advantage alone..LoL

Mac's have their drawbacks, absolutely right, but they shine very bright at other places where MS fails miserably. It has a reason beyond fanboyism why people come back to Mac, not because of IPC and GPU but because it is simpler and more steady over time.

I run MS, Mac and Linux, dont try to press me into any Fanboyism-drawer, I fit in neither. i use and abuse them all, love & hate them all and I know things change very fast in IT so what I use now for a job I may hate tomorrow, that's how it has been for a long time.

The big difference between MAC and WIN is that the former is by far more reliable in a everyday scenario, the tools and apps that come with it are far more complete than MS does, just look at TimeMachine which never let me down in 6 years 24/7 use and then look at MS' attempt over years to deliver a working backup that just WORKS ! ..not to speak of the features TM allows you to use, those features are only accessible in Acronis Server Suites with LOTS of addons, I know that because I operate both for years, this is a 2k+€ advantage alone..LoL

Mac's have their drawbacks, absolutely right, but they shine very bright at other places where MS fails miserably. It has a reason beyond fanboyism why people come back to Mac, not because of IPC and GPU but because it is simpler and more steady over time.

I run MS, Mac and Linux, dont try to press me into any Fanboyism-drawer, I fit in neither. i use and abuse them all, love & hate them all and I know things change very fast in IT so what I use now for a job I may hate tomorrow, that's how it has been for a long time.

I hear you. I've been a long time Unix/Windows/Mac user going back to system 6, LISA, orginal slackware and DOS1 days. When MacOS ditched PowerPC and went to Mach kernel, I thought it was a brilliant move and it paid off. They've done a lot of things right, but now refreshing hardware for the ProSumer space is a huge problem.

Oh, and that stupid 5G cloud storage. 5GB. LOL.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

+1000000000000000000

I use all three system regularly on a day-to-day basis. I have been, in the past, a sys admin for an HPC, and currently not only use an HPC daily but also run Windows (for DCS), and do all my programming/development on both Mac's and Linux's, do photo editing on a Mac, etc. etc. etc. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. My personal machine of choice is a Linux (*if* I can be ensured of driver/hardware compatibility), but honestly could make do with any of them (though, for working would infinitely prefer a Mac over Windows if I could not get a Linux).

So, whenever someone says to me something like "Macs are not a real computer" I hear "<noise><noise><noise>I do not know what I talking but try and pretend that I do to impress people who do not know any better<noise><noise><noise>".

Back to the topic at hand: yes, you can run DCS on a MacBook, but only through dual-booting via Bootcamp. It works fine within the limits of your hardware CPU/GPU/RAM.

I hear you. I've been a long time Unix/Windows/Mac user going back to system 6, LISA, orginal slackware and DOS1 days. When MacOS ditched PowerPC and went to Mach kernel, I thought it was a brilliant move and it paid off. They've done a lot of things right, but now refreshing hardware for the ProSumer space is a huge problem.

Oh, and that stupid 5G cloud storage. 5GB. LOL.

I agree, 5GB isn't much but the 50GB upgrade is only 99cents/month.

Given that their cloud actually works as it should for me as an Apple Ecosystem user as well I am happy to pay those 99cents.

MS also has this ecosystem...but it's not even close to bring the same functionality across my Apple-TV, iPhones and macOS. That is why I was able to convince a lot of people who actually work on their stuff to buy Apple incl. iPhone and/or iPad as it is THAT simple to use, even for them ( LoL ). For some of them I needed years to convince, but I am not gonna sell you a Windows if I know you break it every week, yes I know those guys, they astonishingly run a Mac for years without any big issues. They are that stupid, yes, they know that too, but they also know Apple works with their kind of APPROACH to computing

NEVER !! never forget the person in front of the screen.

That is FAR more important than hardware !

I agree, 5GB isn't much but the 50GB upgrade is only 99cents/month.

I wonder why they do that? Is it to actively engage the user to "make the choice" to reinforce the commitment? I think MS gives you 5 TB for five users for the family O365 subscription. The problem with MS is that it's not geared from consumers, more for office users.

I think experience and ease of use wise, Apple is far ahead of the pack. But if you don't believe in the ecosystem, which I don't, then it becomes a barrier too big to cross. But clearly, they have more people in the Apple ecosystem than not.

One thing going for MS, most Apple users working in companies boot into Windows quite often.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to help a friend run dcs on a macbook pro 2015. He will buy a gaming pc later this year, but until then it is what we got. We have gotten until the main menu, but it crashes when trying to load any mission, including instant action. Is it possible to run dcs via windows on an external hdd on a macbook pro or are we wasting time?

I can't believe this thread is still active.

DCS on a mac.... NEVER going to work properly!

DCS runs on windows, period.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I can't believe this thread is still active.

DCS on a mac.... NEVER going to work properly!

DCS runs on windows, period.

Sorry if this thread offended you or made your day any worse, but you can always unsubscribe if this bothers you. Of course, DCS is not designed to work on a Mac. But is it possible? My question here is for those who managed to run DCS on a MacBook Pro.