Introducing the VPC WarBRD

Cyph3r

Oh, so you used a too small screwdriver. Always use the proper tool. Everybody should have basic tools like flat screwdrivers of different sizes. Wiha makes very good screwdrivers (SoftFinish and MicroFinish series).

Oddly, I just bought asmall Wiha flat head yesterday (for an unrelated purpose). Quite nice...

Z...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow it's here. I literally checked tracking this morning and it was in New York. Didn't expect it to arrive today! So it shipped last Tuesday and arrived today. That was quick!

Unfortunately I won't have time to set it up now and this weekend I have a date coming over. If she sees me tinkering with this stuff she may lose her shit lol and be like what's wrong with this guy. 4428829b42027970c7a50fe1766fc42a.jpg

If a woman does not accept a boys toys, she should not be accepted by the boy.

My partner sat down, grabbed a controller and joined 12 guys that were at my X-box Halo lan night. By the end of the night, she was regularlysitting at the pointy end of the scoreboard.

11 years later, I won't let her go!!! :thumbup:

Z...

If a woman does not accept a boys toys, she should not be accepted by the boy.

My partner sat down, grabbed a controller and joined 12 guys that were at my X-box Halo lan night. By the end of the night, she was regularlysitting at the pointy end of the scoreboard.

11 years later, I won't let her go!!!

Z...

Agreed! She sounds like a keeper. This one it's the first time she's coming over here so I want to take it easy. The package is incredibly light for a base and grip.

I will try and get it all set up tomorrow after work before I attempt to change the springs in the warBRD.

For everyone else hang in there, once it ships at least if you are in the US, it is just 8 days or so depending where in the states you are located. I was expecting it to be stuck in customs at NY.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

With their new Euro-shop shipping within Europe also takes only a few days now. And it`s a great relief not to deal with all that custom stuff any more. I had to when I ordered the T-50 base half year ago.

@sze5003, congrats for your new equipment (and for your date, too, of course:)), you will love it!

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

With their new Euro-shop shipping within Europe also takes only a few days now. And it`s a great relief not to deal with all that custom stuff any more. I had to when I ordered the T-50 base half year ago.

@sze5003, congrats for your new equipment (and for your date, too, of course:)), you will love it!

A few days maybe for you. To reach Scotland it took 8 days. Gladly is scheduled be delivered today! Yeah!
Edited by Sajarov

:megalol:

Right now I'm changing the springs in the warBRD. I had to anyway because the original springs had a salt packet stuck inside them :)

But I notice the black heavy springs are rusted. I will attempt to put them on but I was wondering if I can put some oil on them? Mine be tough getting them on like this?

https://imgur.com/a/SfapTIK

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Agreed! She sounds like a keeper. This one it's the first time she's coming over here so I want to take it easy. The package is incredibly light for a base and grip.

I will try and get it all set up tomorrow after work before I attempt to change the springs in the warBRD.

For everyone else hang in there, once it ships at least if you are in the US, it is just 8 days or so depending where in the states you are located. I was expecting it to be stuck in customs at NY.

Work on getting her to play with your main joystick first ....worry about the others later :D:thumbup:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Ok so got the springs changed. Couldn't seem to connect the mt 50 stick to the base. I lined up the connectors and holes and slowly lowered it in, screwed the collar on.

Software is telling me to update firmware and that it's a vpc Delta?

I don't have a Delta grip connected I have the black edition mt-50 grip. Where do I get the right firmware?

Currently showing this screen.

https://imgur.com/a/iU5XVzK

Yup I got the guide and the video that I watched. Finally managed to set it up. I was afraid because it was telling me wrong device. I had to got to firmware tab, open firmware mode, load the firmware from the zip file.

Then I was able to close that and go back and select load profile, then import profile, select the Mt 50 with warbrd.

Then save the profile and then calibrate. Here is where I had trouble.

Neither x or y axis sliders center perfectly..ok so maybe there isn't a perfectly center position but they are always skewed a bit. Close enough to the center. I notice when I move in extreme x or y axis, the other axis always jitters a bit.

I messed with it so much moving the stick in all sorts of directions. At one point the z axis went all the way to the right when I pulled back on the stick. Now this doesn't have a twist axis so z is the break lever. Weird.

Reset the calibration zone and then tried again. Maybe it's the hard springs? I didn't change the cams the warBRD came with. I only put the hard springs on because I knew eventually I would put on my Warthog grip. So it's pretty stiff now with the mt-50 grip but with the warthog grip it feels more right I guess? Probably since warthog grip is metal and heavier it feels more natural to the warthog base but a lot smoother.

So one thing I don't understand and maybe it's causing me issues. The connector pin and cable of the MT 50 grip moves out of the grip. Is it suppose to do that?

I can never get it to stay snug in the warBRD base connector. I see it go in and then I press slowly and start aligning the grip while screwing the collar down. Even after I screw the collar down, I sometimes end up twisting the grip by accident? Is it supposed to twist like that?

How do you know when the connector pin is firmly in the base? It seems when I loosen the collar, the cable and pin come right out of the base.

At one point during my setup all my buttons were going on and off without touching anything. Figured it's the connector, it's probably not staying in. Managed to play with it some more and then I reset my profile, reloaded firmware and did the whole setup again. It was ok after that.

So then I take my warthog grip, it goes right in to the warBRD base perfectly. I can even hear the warthog connector pin fit perfectly snug into the warBRD connector and it stays in there when the collar is not even screwed tight.

Loaded the profile for warthog and all buttons worked, axis sliders during calibration were smooth and seemed to center much more quickly than the MT 50 grip running calibration.

I unscrew the collar of the warthog grip and I see that the pin is still connected as it should be, unlike the pin on the Mt 50 grip. Strange.

So still I'm a bit confused and have quite a bit of questions.

How do you know when the grip is calibrated correctly? Are there certain values I'm looking for? Or are the sliders on the x and y axis of the calibration page enough as visual input?

If they don't perfeftly center after moving the stick in all directions, is it really calibrated or what else must be done?

I put the MT 50 grip back on and ran through the setup process again and started up dcs. I only set bindings for the f18 for now. The smallest inputs move the jet now and its much lighter it feels like, even with the dark springs. Overall banking and pitch took very little effort. I like this but takes getting used to.

Although I can't do a complete spin in either left or right bank without some pitch movement happening when cranking the stick left and right. Just something I need to get used to I suppose.

Flying seems fine but the vpc joy tester shows the axis of x and y going all over the place when I try to rotate the grip clockwise and counter clockwise. It's not very linear and I must move either very slowly up or down or left and right to get the visualization line showing straight movement on the either axis.

The base itself is wonderful, and easy to get into. Putting the springs was tough though and required some yanking. I was afraid I'd accident grab the PCB on the side doing this but I managed to get them on using my fingers and some pliers. I don't even want to try changing cams, afraid I'll mess something up.

Sorry for the long post as it's the first time I'm doing this and was utterly confused about the grip pin connector, was it snug inside the base connector? Is it supposed to come out of the grip? Oh it looks like it's in, but any slight movement it would pop out again. So all of this had me worried that something isn't right.

I found it odd that the warthog grip connection was literally perfect and stayed comepletely in place.

Will need to spend more time with this new toy and maybe some of you can explain some of these things to me because from the little flying I did tonight I definitely 100% enjoyed it more compared to using the crappy plastic warthog gimbal base. So much more precise and smooth and I'm just worried because I don't want to mess anything up as I could not wait to get rid of that TM base.

Now this doesn't have a twist axis so z is the break lever.

On sticks with twist, the twist axis is usually Rotation Z, not Z. But the name of the axes does not usually matter (except for games which don't let you to re-assign the controls).

So one thing I don't understand and maybe it's causing me issues. The connector pin and cable of the MT 50 grip moves out of the grip. Is it suppose to do that?

Yes, it's supposed to do that.

I can never get it to stay snug in the warBRD base connector. I see it go in and then I press slowly and start aligning the grip while screwing the collar down. Even after I screw the collar down, I sometimes end up twisting the grip by accident? Is it supposed to twist like that?

With MongoosT-50 grip, you slightly extract the cable from the grip and first connect the cable from the grip to the base. Only after the cable connector is completely seated in the base connector you screw the grip.

Because the cable/connector is not fixed in the MongoosT-50 grip, you can adjust the grip rotation (position) while tightening it down. For instance, if the joystick is center mounted, you might want to have the grip rotated a few degrees anti clockwise.

So then I take my warthog grip, it goes right in to the warBRD base perfectly. I can even hear the warthog connector pin fit perfectly snug into the warBRD connector and it stays in there when the collar is not even screwed tight.

Because the Warthog grip has the connector fixed, when using it with the WarBRD base you are supposed to remove the two small screws that hold the base connector in place.

Flying seems fine but the vpc joy tester shows the axis of x and y going all over the place when I try to rotate the grip clockwise and counter clockwise. It's not very linear and I must move either very slowly up or down or left and right to get the visualization line showing straight movement on the either axis.

Why do you try to twist a grip without twist axis?

Anyway, check if you are not actually moving the grip on X/Y while twisting it. If you are sure you are only twisting it and not also move it around, the X/Y values should not change.

With MongoosT-50 grip, you slightly extract the cable from the grip and first connect the cable from the grip to the base. Only after the cable connector is completely seated in the base connector you screw the grip.

Because the cable/connector is not fixed in the MongoosT-50 grip, you can adjust the grip rotation (position) while tightening it down. For instance, if the joystick is center mounted, you might want to have the grip rotated a few degrees anti clockwise.

Because the Warthog grip has the connector fixed, when using it with the WarBRD base you are supposed to remove the two small screws that hold the base connector in place.

Thanks for the reply! So for the warthog grip I need to remove the two silver screws that are in the connector of the warBRD base..ok will try that next time.

The issue I have is I pull the cable out of the MT-50 grip and try to connect it to the WarBRD base. Except I never know when the cable connector is firmly seated as it seems to come out with any little movement. It is not snug.

I tried to mess with it some more this morning before work. Except this time I reset my profile, reloaded and saved the warBRD+T50 profile. Then I made sure to click load again. The brake lever is not recognized and on the VPC Joy Tester all the buttons on the grip, in the right most window scroll with the values on, off, on, off,on off, continuously.

It is as if I am pressing all the buttons but I'm not touching anything. I tried different usb ports and same thing. Brake lever is no more recognized in the calibration window and buttons all go on and off in the tester tool.

Is there a way to reset all the software? I don't want to open up the grip at all for now. I also tried pressing reset profile, reset axis, and loaded the profile again from the software folder but nothing changed. I'm hoping to spend more time with it tonight after work and get it working. Really not sure what happened. The warthog grip seemed to be doing fine, didn't exhibit this behavior.

If the buttons are flashing on/off then the connector isn't seated properly. The shrink wrap might be extending slightly too low and preventing you from pushing it all the way in.
This is a possibility. I've been having issues with the connector on the MT-50 grip. I didn't see any shrink wrap or plastic around it. It comes out of the grip by a good amount. I can pull it out and use my fingers without issues to attach it to the warBRD base, but it does not stay in securely. Any movement of the grip before screwing the collar down will disconnect the cable.

I'm curious how other people's cable / connector is behaving. I believe it should be snug?

He did not say twist, he said rotate. I suspect he means like moving it in circles around the outer range of motion. Like pushing it all the way to "12 o'clock", then doing big circles around the outer limit of the stick.

Z...

Yes that's correct trying to do smooth circles in the vpc tester for the axis is tough. I managed to somehow calibrate it using their software so that both x and y sliders are in the middle..very hard to do by the way.

This was after I spent another hour or two trying to firmly connect the t50 grip to the warBRD base. I thought I had it firmly connected but while calibrating and moving the grip, the top half of the grip moved as if you had it set at an off set position. I knew at this point the cable must have also disconnected.

Unscrewed the collar and up to my suspicion the din 5 pin connector had disconnected. Spent some more time with it and got it connected again but I can't believe it's this tricky. The warthog grip fit in firmly even if you don't remove those two small screws.

I then recalibrated once I got the MT 50 back on the base. For now it looks ok but I have a feeling it may lose connection again. Opened a ticket with virpil support to see if they have any suggestions for me.

At least I managed to fly a little bit more than last night and it was a pleasure, the smoothness and tiny amount of force needed to make any type of input is so relaxing. I can literally trim and fly with my fingers on the grip if I wanted to. If only that connection cable would fit in firmly, I'd rest assured. I don't want to permanently use the warthog grip on the base for now but I'm glad at least that grip's 5 pin connector seems to stay connected. Can't tell if it's the base connector that's the issue or the Mt 50's cable connector but it's finnicky.

Edited by sze5003

He did not say twist, he said rotate. I suspect he means like moving it in circles around the outer range of motion. Like pushing it all the way to "12 o'clock", then doing big circles around the outer limit of the stick.

Z...

Yeah, but he said "rotate the grip clockwise and counter clockwise". Twisting is rotating the grip. Clockwise or anticlockwise. And when twisting the grip is when you don't expect X/Y values to change.

When moving the stick in circles (like you say) you do have X/Y values changing.

But you don't get "straight movement on the either axis" (his stated goal) when you move the stick in circles. You get that only when you move it only left/right (roll axis - X) or only forward/back (pitch axis - Y). So I still think he is talking about twisting the grip while "moving [...] up or down or left and right".

If not, he should better describe the issue.

This is a possibility. I've been having issues with the connector on the MT-50 grip. I didn't see any shrink wrap or plastic around it. It comes out of the grip by a good amount. I can pull it out and use my fingers without issues to attach it to the warBRD base, but it does not stay in securely. Any movement of the grip before screwing the collar down will disconnect the cable.

I'm curious how other people's cable / connector is behaving. I believe it should be snug?

It should be pretty snug yeah, I have to push my connector very firmly for it to seat properly in the T50 base.

It's also quite reluctant to disconnect, no chance of it simply falling out.

Yeah, but he said "rotate the grip clockwise and counter clockwise". Twisting is rotating the grip. Clockwise or anticlockwise. And when twisting the grip is when you don't expect X/Y values to change.

When moving the stick in circles (like you say) you do have X/Y values changing.

But you don't get "straight movement on the either axis" (his stated goal) when you move the stick in circles. You get that only when you move it only left/right (roll axis - X) or only forward/back (pitch axis - Y). So I still think he is talking about twisting the grip while "moving [...] up or down or left and right".

If not, he should better describe the issue.

What I meant by rotate the grip counterclockwise/clockwise I should have just said moving it in circles. Yup straight movement only happens on pitch or roll movement only. I was trying to draw smooth circles like I saw in the setup video of the vpc light configurator. My attempt at that looks like anything but a circle.

By twist I meant the grip itself moved as if I had screwed it down facing at an angle which I have not since I'm using it on my desk.

It should be pretty snug yeah, I have to push my connector very firmly for it to seat properly in the T50 base.

It's also quite reluctant to disconnect, no chance of it simply falling out.

Interesting, well then that's a problem for me if you say it should sit in there snug. Mine does not and I've applied quite a bit of force. It is not at all reluctant to disconnect. For me all I have to do is unscrew the collar and barely move the grip and the cable is out. Yesterday I had it disconnect in the middle of a flight session.

Of course I'm extremely careful when trying to reattach it because I don't want to break anything as I just got the device.

You said you have a Warthog grip and a MongoosT-50 grip.

Do you also have a Warthog base? If yes, try the MongoosT-50 on that base and compare how the connector fits there.

Also take a close look at the connector from the WarBRD base (and also at the connectors from your grips).

Yup I have a Warthog base too. I tried the MT 50 on the Warthog base. It also refuses to stay snug in that base's connector too. With some more pressure it will stay but not for long if you slightly move the grip, even with little movement while trying to screw the collar down.

Both bases connectors are similar, no damage on them and both grips have the 5 pins standing up straight.

My guess is the MT 50 grip connector metal housing may be the cause of it not getting pushed flush in with either base connector. Or the pins on the MT 50 cable are not long enough to firmly stay in the holes.

The warthog grip on the warBRD is easier to connect and while that one doesn't come out as quickly as the MT 50 connector, I suspect because the warthog cable is tightly fixed to it's grip, this is what makes it stay straight when it is pushed in. But I would not describe the warthog grip connector reluctant to come out as the other poster mentioned on his behavior. It certainly is easier to connect and make stay there than the MT50.

I've seen these type of connectors before and they always went in all the way and stayed snug. Reminds me of the old PC peripherals like the ps2 mouse and keyboards.

Hopefully more people will get their warBRD if they ordered one and we can see if they face a similar issue.

Going to take it easy with the grip and base as I don't want to cause any damage. I'm still happy to get rid of the warthog base by any means.

Mine is ok. You can see my connector.f7ea2090c6de2d164c773701e42ab351.jpg

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

Wow yours sits in there nicely. I can't even attempt to take a picture like that while holding the top half of the grip because it will come right out. Looks like yours goes in all the way to the rubber part and also stays there.

You even bend the wire while holding the grip up and it stays :/

Edited by sze5003

Maybe you are not fully inserting the connector.
But this is the whole point of my posts. It will not stay fully inserted. I have lined it up and pressed and pushed as much as I can. It will not stay in the base connector.