GTX 1060 6GB might not handle Normandy map.

SeaW0lf

It also uses quite a large pagefile.

If you have 16GB ram, set your pagefile to 800Mb-1000Mb. I guarantee that you will have less stutters-freezes. It worked for me.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

If you have 16GB ram, set your pagefile to 800Mb-1000Mb. I guarantee that you will have less stutters-freezes. It worked for me.

I'll give that a try.. but only having to do so for one program on my PC makes me wonder if it's worth just waiting to see how things progress as 2.1 and Normandy get further development.

I sat around tweaking last night and was able to get it to where I hardly even drop below 50fps even flying low, using Instant action in the Dora as a test. around 85-100fps while flying @ 2-4KM altitude. Despite this as soon as I fly over large cities it starts hanging up.

Seems in general there are way more trees across the entire map and the cities are far larger more dense and populated with buildings than anything we've seen with the 1.5 map. Even with trees set to 1500 the wooded areas are countless.

I'm kind of hoping there's just a buggy texture in there somewhere that they can find and fix, as my hang ups usually come when I'm over large dense cities which have sooo many buildings and trees.

*Edit* So I take what I said about the paging file back. I was misinterpreting what MSI Afterburner was reporting, which was actually ram + paging file. DCS is using 12gb of physical memory (rarely exceeds that). Perhaps I will try disabling the paging file all together and see what happens but I'm thinking this isn't related to the paging file, as the stutters were still there.

Normandy seems to peg my card at 6gb of VRAM usage, which is the full amount on my 980Ti. I'm going to attempt more tweaking to see if I can get it down to 5gb+ .

Watching my framerates with my current settings I average about 70-90 on the ground depending on what's in view ahead of me, sometimes with dips into the 50's but this seems normal. The pauses appear when flying low and towards cities, and some of these cities seem huge and you don't have to look far for another patch of buildings. Going to play around and tweak some more to see if I can lower the VRAM usage at all.

Another thing to note - when I first launch 2.1, within the menus, it's only using about 800MB of VRAM at my resolution, once I'm loaded up it's full. When I quit whatever mission I'm flying and go back to the menus, it's still showing about 5.8gb of VRAM usage. I don't know how relevant this is, and I will jump around in say dcs 1.5 and IL-2 BoS to compare this behavior.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Decided to update in a new reply rather than continue to edit my last one and potentially be confusing.

DCS_2017_06_15_15_59_35_959.thumb.jpg.8d135b0fb6249f4af66038738dcec49f.jpg

So with these current settings I'm topping out at abot 5930 VRAM usage even when flying over the largest of cities, and so far no hiccups.. but that's with only about 5-10 minutes of testing.

Not much noticable difference between preload radius slider being maxed and dropping it to less than 30k.

I will say, the view distance is noticable, as prior to reducing it from high I could see buildings from other cities further away while flying over larger cities and this doesn't seem to be the case.

In Nvidia Control Panel 3d settings for DCS.exe I have the following:

Anisotropic filtering - App Controlled

FXAA - On

Gamma Correction - Off

Antialiasing - Mode - App controlled

Transparency - 2x(supersample) (I might see how it goes turning this off to see if I can further reduce ram usage and perhaps get some visability range back)

Max Pre Rendered Frames - 1

Monitor Tech - G-SYNC

MFAA - On

Single Display performance mode,

Optimize for Compute - off

Prefer Maximum Performance

Highest available refresh rate

Shader Cache - On

Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample - On

Negative LOD bias - Clamp

Quality - Performance

Trilinear Optimization - Off

Threaded Optimization - On

Tripple Buffering - Off

Vertical Sync - Application setting.

I'll do some more flights and update this later to let you know if this permanently fixed my issues.. have to admit however, if this does fix issues..it's almost as if an SLI setup is going to be highly beneficial in dcs 2.0 if running tripple monitors, 21:9 or 4k.. or maybe even anything over 1080p if you want high settings.. which is quite a ways off from being something I can afford atm. I can only hope there is more optimization to be done.

*Edit* Now call me confused.. but, G-SYNC only seems to be doing half of its job. My monitor is OC'd to 100hz refresh rate, and when I drop below 100FPS the monitor DOES reduce its refresh rate to match, but according to both MSI Afterburner and the FPS counter built into the game - it's still exceeding 100fps even though my monitor tops out at 100hz. G-SYNC should be stopping that from happening afaik. Perhaps I'll submit a bug report, and play around with v-sync settings to see what happens.

**Edit** - oddly enough.. enabling V-SYNC seemed to correct the g-sync behavior rather than limit to 60fps. Quite unlike my experience with other games/programs where you have to disable v-sync to get g-sync functionality.

Also throwing it out there that after quitting a mission, and starting a new instant action or even just exiting dcs, I get an image from a previous flight before it goes to the loading screen, which makes sense with what I said about vram still showing 5.8gb usage when quitting flight and returning to the main menu.

I'm not claiming knowledge or facts at this point..just speculating and questioning, giving the alpha it's due and hoping it can help with future updates.

And just to be clear on my current system specs -

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600, 240gb Kingston SSD system drive, two PNY SSD 450gb drives for gaming/storage, EVGA GTX 980Ti, Windows 10 64-bit, Acer X-34 @ 3440x1440 100hz, KB/Mouse/Logitech G633 headset, logitech g13, MFG Xwinds - Warthog Throttle + MSFFB2 (i use the hog stick for jets and a-10c, MSFFB2 for everything else) into two powered usb hubs using 2.0 connections.

(having listed everything.. can't you tell why I can't afford to go sli?)

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

What's the preload setting you are using?

I have a 1060 GTX 6gb Vram and preload radius makes a huge impact on VRAM usage.

I don't have Normandy yet. How would you compare the map performance VS NTTR (which I have)?

Depending on the results, I might jump for the Viggen instead of buying Normandy right away.

These amounts of Vram usage now worries me a lot. Saturating 6gb is insane for that kind of map.

Sorry for the delay, but I am a bit away from DCS.

Before the Normandy I only flew at the 1.5 version, and the GTX 1060 6GB handles it pretty well (most things maxed out). I only have stutters around big cities, which might be due to bad optimization, because the card seldom goes above 50% at Burning Skies and my i7 does not even break a sweat. So the 1060 is more than enough for 2560X1080 running 1.5. I was maxed on the preload radius.

With the Normandy map, is like running two 1.5 maps at the same time. I have preload at 6km and everything else on low but 2XAA and cockpit in medium, that sort of thing. I need to keep everything on a very basic setting. The game makes my GTX 1060 look like an old HD 6870. I hope they fix it, because it does not make much sense to bottleneck 6GB of VRAM in a 2560X1080 monitor. And the card hits 100% often, most of the time above 70%, so it is working a lot.

You can search the forum because there are people with GTX 1080 Ti squeezing everything the card has to offer. Obviously not in my resolution, but from what I recall, Normandy seems to like some serious bling (top cards). Unless if you settle for 40-50fps. I can't, because I use TrackIR and I don't have G-Sync. I need to have 60 all the time.

But I might be wrong. Maybe there is someone else here with a GTX 1060 flying Normandy.

• Like 1

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I run an old i5-4500, with 16 ram and a GTX660, with 4 ram, my settings are low and the game runs.

I do get stuttering at times, but it works, well enough to fly.

In order to get the most though I need to upgrade and, although the GTX 1060 is midrange, it is still better than what I have, but in order to fully use it, I need the a new mobo and cpu.

I am in the same boat as you are. I have an almost identical setup as you. I am not a big time gamer and when I purchased my 660 Ti it was a pretty decent middle of the road card. Same goes for my i5. It ran most sims pretty well on lower settings and DCS was pretty good on it.

It still handles NTTR and even Normandy with some tricks. I don't get a lot of stutter, and it's pretty good so far.

I feel that I am pretty much flying on borrowed time at this point as I am not likely to invest in a whole new rig at this point, and then several hundred more dollars for a card just to fly DCS. When Xboxes and Playstations started climbing up to $500, it was time to give them up. The same is starting to apply to flight sims. So my time with DCS seems to be limited and is probably coming to a close in the next year or two.

It has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I'm not really willing to invest the $$, and technology marches forward. It's just how it is. I'm just not marching in that direction any more because I have other things that I need to spend that kind of money on.

I am in the same boat as you are. I have an almost identical setup as you. I am not a big time gamer and when I purchased my 660 Ti it was a pretty decent middle of the road card. Same goes for my i5. It ran most sims pretty well on lower settings and DCS was pretty good on it.

It still handles NTTR and even Normandy with some tricks. I don't get a lot of stutter, and it's pretty good so far.

I feel that I am pretty much flying on borrowed time at this point as I am not likely to invest in a whole new rig at this point, and then several hundred more dollars for a card just to fly DCS. When Xboxes and Playstations started climbing up to $500, it was time to give them up. The same is starting to apply to flight sims. So my time with DCS seems to be limited and is probably coming to a close in the next year or two.

It has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I'm not really willing to invest the $$, and technology marches forward. It's just how it is. I'm just not marching in that direction any more because I have other things that I need to spend that kind of money on.

I too am sort of coming around to that way of thinking.

Forever chasing the sweet spot comes at a significant investment and ever moving goalposts is kinda getting old (like me :) ).

With the ever increasing cost of the nessesary hardware getting more and more expensive as we must now look at the top end of the hardware tree in order to find that sweet spot I cannot help but think £700 for a graphics card then a new processor for £300+ then...........

always on the merry-go-round. Might be time to look at getting off.

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

thanks for sharing. so I guess wait out till titan drops in price and kaby lake, etc, before embarking on upgrading my meagre rig fx8150, gtx 650 2gb, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hdd..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

thanks for sharing. so I guess wait out till titan drops in price and kaby lake, etc, before embarking on upgrading my meagre rig fx8150, gtx 650 2gb, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hdd..

No problem, just keep in mind that I use TrackIR, which seems to demand 60fps all the time (I don't have experience with G-Sync). Mid 50s already gives me stutter.

But once in a while I login without TrackIR just to set things up, and it looks smooth using the keyboard, but I never really tested, so the GTX 1060 might handle Normandy fine without TrackIR. The only problem is VRAM usage, since my card does not have enough VRAM (6GB) for Normandy with high settings.

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I too am sort of coming around to that way of thinking.

Forever chasing the sweet spot comes at a significant investment and ever moving goalposts is kinda getting old (like me :) ).

With the ever increasing cost of the nessesary hardware getting more and more expensive as we must now look at the top end of the hardware tree in order to find that sweet spot I cannot help but think £700 for a graphics card then a new processor for £300+ then...........

always on the merry-go-round. Might be time to look at getting off.

SD

You can still run 1.5 with a middle range system very nicely. It's 2.1 that is pushing everyone to spend, spend, spend, and even then there is no guarantee it will run well!

I'm helping a friend put together a new system soon. He spent $1500. I suspect that even that won't be enough for 2.1.:doh:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I just did a more thorough test and found that the Visibility Range option does not affect aircraft spotting. Or at least it does not look like. So I put it on medium and the stutters at the deck are almost gone. Now I can use 2XAA (Anisotropic Filtering OFF) and increase the resolution of the cockpit, but the rest remains with low settings. I might be able to raise a couple things. Let's see.

But it has greatly improved the stutters. I do not know what the Visibility Range option does, but if I put on Extreme it stutters a lot even at high altitude with 2XAA (or Anisotropic Filtering).

Mind that I use TrackIR 5 and I personally need the frame rate above 55, preferably at 60.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have 32GB ram, do I need to double these values or just use these values? Right now it's set at over 4.8GB automatically for all drives. I have a 1080 card though.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals