Startup Training Mission - Will Never Start Engine! - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,020
Default Startup Training Mission - Will Never Start Engine!

I know it's old, but there will be new Bf 109 people out there who will be confused by this startup trainer.
Following the instructor will never start the engine, as he never mentions setting the breakers for generator and battery to on. He instructs you to switch on 2 or 3 and then says something like 'these are all the necessary breakers to be switched on for startup'!

Oh, and also, can't communicate with ATC on channel 3. No reply to anything.
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index

Last edited by imacken; 08-13-2019 at 09:07 AM.
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
grafspee
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I know it's old, but there will be new Bf 109 people out there who will be confused by this startup trainer.
Following the instructor will never start the engine, as he never mentions setting the breakers for generator and battery to on. He instructs you to switch on 2 or 3 and then says something like 'these are all the necessary breakers to be switched on for startup'!

Oh, and also, can't communicate with ATC on channel 3. No reply to anything.
Lots of training missions are so old that, i dont even trying them.
Since this training mission was done long time ago,countles changes had happen.
I just use comunity guides, those are most up to date

Last edited by grafspee; 08-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,020
Default

With all due respect, that's not really the point.
If modules are being sold, then there is a responsibility to ensure that the contents included work.
I regularly revisit modules and training missions just to see if there is something I am missing, and I would say that most stand up to all the changes that have been made over the years, and often they are updated.
In this case, there is an easy fix for something that is likely to confuse the novice.
In fact, both the manual and Chuck's Guide are both wrong as well on this.
I think it's that both the battery and generator breakers are assumed to be already set, and this can be seen in the photos in both documents. Now, I don't know if the default position on these has changed, but I'm pretty sure this is an easy fix if there was any willing to maintain the module.
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
grafspee
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Poland
Posts: 936
Default

Gen and battery switches are newest changes, probably soon there will be update for training missions too.
But there are lots of other nagging problems and bugs, by my book training missions bugs are last in queue
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,020
Default

Lots of new purchasers may not necessarily agree with you, but, each to his own. Doesn't alter the fact that the mission is bugged.
All the others are fine.
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Charly_Owl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montreal (QC), Canada
Posts: 1,792
Default

Quote:
In fact, both the manual and Chuck's Guide are both wrong as well on this.
Well, page 28 of my guide states "All forward circuit breakers – ON (C100 Nav Lights and C101 UV Lights optional)"

I don't see what's technically wrong with it since the battery (Sammler) and generator (Stromer Zeuger) are included in these circuit breakers.

Maybe it could be interpreted that "forward CBs" refer to the first vertical row and not the second, but they are all in the same circle? Is that what is confusing people?
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
imacken
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 3,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly_Owl View Post
Well, page 28 of my guide states "All forward circuit breakers – ON (C100 Nav Lights and C101 UV Lights optional)"

I don't see what's technically wrong with it since the battery (Sammler) and generator (Stromer Zeuger) are included in these circuit breakers.

Maybe it could be interpreted that "forward CBs" refer to the first vertical row and not the second, but they are all in the same circle? Is that what is confusing people?
Yep, sorry Chuck, my mistake, you do mention switching ALL circuit breakers on in the 'Pre-flight' section. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm pretty sure there is no mention in the main manual though.

Anyway, the point of this thread was for me to report a bug in the TM.
__________________
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.