Bolter Pattern

speed-of-heat

Hi Guys,

what is the pattern for a bolter; do you essentially treat it like a cat shot from the waist cats' ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

climb out on final bearing towards 600ft, once you pass the bow, turn to the BRC and maintain 600ft. fly out to 1.0 nm ahead of the ship, then turn to the down wind pattern permitting.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Also, while technically it doesn't matter in DCS, the Hornet NATOPS manual states that the hook should be retracted after a bolter. But as others have stated, turn to BRC after clearing the bow and climb up 600ft and re-enter the pattern on the downwind.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Hook retract is to ensure it won't get worn-out/damaged or cause any damages as it scrapes across the carrier deck (or worst-case scenario, get caught on something other than the arresting wires). Deploy it again once you're clear of the carrier, but again, that's just what it says in the NATOPS, it "technically" doesn't apply to DCS since the hook can't get worn-out or cause any damages to the carrier or itself.

You'll see in a lot of videos where during a bolter, sparks can go flying. Sparks can cause fires, and that's the worst thing to happen on a carrier. Also, the actual "hook" part of the arresting hook on the Hornet is held on to the main shaft only by a bolt, nut, and cotter pin. That's a number of places where a fault can occur after numerous flight hours, vibrations and a bolter can exacerbate any kind of fittings to potentially come loose (shout-outs to maintenance crews for keeping their planes in shape!). But again, that doesn't really apply to DCS.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Hook retract is to ensure it won't get worn-out/damaged or cause any damages as it scrapes across the carrier deck (or worst-case scenario, get caught on something other than the arresting wires). Deploy it again once you're clear of the carrier, but again, that's just what it says in the NATOPS, it "technically" doesn't apply to DCS since the hook can't get worn-out or cause any damages to the carrier or itself.

You'll see in a lot of videos where during a bolter, sparks can go flying. Sparks can cause fires, and that's the worst thing to happen on a carrier. Also, the actual "hook" part of the arresting hook on the Hornet is held on to the main shaft only by a bolt, nut, and cotter pin. That's a number of places where a fault can occur after numerous flight hours, vibrations and a bolter can exacerbate any kind of fittings to potentially come loose (shout-outs to maintenance crews for keeping their planes in shape!). But again, that doesn't really apply to DCS.

It sounds like you're describing retracting the hook after a successful trap. What Nikola is asking is why you would retract your hook after a bolter, only to need to put it down again when on downwind, or turning to the 90.

The hook retract thing...

I think this only applies to landing on a runway, while it does mention it in NATOPS its only under the Short Airfield section.

I've never seen a video of a Hornet bolter on the boat and raise its hook, but I could be wrong.

Edited by NineLine
removed 1.16 material

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

The hook-up after bolter thing doesn't make rational sense. How can the hook get worn out by airflow?

Umm....

;3804009']The hook retract thing...

^ is correct, I mis-read the NATOPS regarding bolters, the NATOPS actually doesn't seem to have the bolter pattern under the normal procedures section.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

The hook-up after bolter thing doesn't make rational sense. How can the hook get worn out by airflow?

Just like a normal hook-up, you don't want your hook extended after the affair has been put to order. Maybe airflow over the hook can let it catch cold and cough cough *. Or maybe, maybe get pneumonia. Maybe the paint on the hook can get chipped off from the hot air exhaust, or maybe the tip of the hook can get really hot from the exhaust and then deform to become limp preventing hooking onto the wire.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

;3804009']The hook retract thing...

I think this only applies to landing on a runway, while it does mention it in NATOPS its only under the Short Airfield section.

I've never seen a video of a Hornet bolter on the boat and raise its hook, but I could be wrong.

hey, love the new sig! The eagle has landed and the cat is getting after it.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

If you're in the landing configuration and at on-speed AoA, you don't need the stick to climb, only power.

As mentioned before, I mis-read the NATOPS, the hook does not need to be retracted after a bolter during carrier operations, only during short-runway bolters with land-based arresting systems.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

Let's see... what would I do if I was planning to do some bolters on a boat (you know... training requirements, etc.) I'm hauling a$$ from initial to break with hook down... that's a habit:smilewink:

Then once on downwind I RAISE the hook to accomplish a bolter:smartass: of course making sure that LSO's and everyone else are on the same page as I am...

What? :megalol:

Viewpoints are my own.

What? :megalol:

If you would actually read the entire thread, I mis-read the NATOPS manual regarding retracting the arresting hook during land-based bolters with short-runway arresting systems. Not during carrier recovery.

The hook does not need to be raised during a bolter during carrier recovery, but it still scrapes across the deck and can cause problems as-seen in the video I posted yesterday.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

Just wondering one single thing here: If you bolter, when do you turn back into the pattern without totally messing up the timing with all the other guys in there? Just seems to be absolutely impossible to me. If the traps are like 16s apart, if you just squeeze in between there 'cos you boltered...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Just wondering one single thing here: If you bolter, when do you turn back into the pattern without totally messing up the timing with all the other guys in there? Just seems to be absolutely impossible to me. If the traps are like 16s apart, if you just squeeze in between there 'cos you boltered...

Maybe the fuel situation dictates the priority, I would presume?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Let's see... what would I do if I was planning to do some bolters on a boat (you know... training requirements, etc.) I'm hauling a$$ from initial to break with hook down... that's a habit:smilewink:

Then once on downwind I RAISE the hook to accomplish a bolter:smartass: of course making sure that LSO's and everyone else are on the same page as I am...

There are actual requirements for initial aircraft qualification and sometimes requalifications for pilots to do carrier touch and goes in which case you would come in with the hook up. Your pass would then read TG3 (Touch and Go 3-wire) for the wire the LSOs deemed you would have caught. Oddly enough, you can still get graded a bolter and it won't count towards your T+G requirements if you would have boltered with the hook down.

As for raising the hook, a carrier bolter won't harm the hook too bad, although maintenance is required to do a quick "bolter inspection" of the hook point if you do bolter. On land, if you drag the hook down several thousand feet of runway for some reason, that can be a different story.