Am I the only one disappointed in DCS World Multiplayer?

tyleru7d894

I agree to dis agree, Regards to comms and finding people, Ive tried many groups, And none have have had rules to follow that would feel like HR or a job, Just a mission thrown up and off we went, Finding the guys on teamspeak and discord can be difficult defiantly thats including SRS also, DCS MP needs to become more dynamic, But also needs to improve other things, Its not actually that bad.

Those squads are definitely out there though. I for one wouldn't mind flying in one but the only 2 I've found so far has requirements that someone with 2 weeks under their belt don't meet. Would be cool to fly in an environment that mirrored actual military structure and discipline. That being said if ED could provide even a basic dynamic single player experience you'd never see me in an online server ever again. Having clowns trying to land their helicopter on top of my plane "for the fun of it" while I taxi to active runway isn't quite the immersive realistic experience I was hoping for.

Edited by Jonnie2Bad

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

the most fun and immersion is definitely flying with friends in multiplayer coop or as a whole team on blueflag for example.

Nothing beats flying with different aircraft and their tasks as a team to achieve victory. SRS, ATC, a good GCI or Commander and everyone working together.

if once experienced u will know, and most likely you will make new buddies to fly with which is great too.

how´s it like to play in the sandpit all by yourself :)

Is there something that needs changed with the latest update; we've got lag and pauses again since updating.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Is this a "DCS multiplayer sucks" thread or a "How to make friends thread"?

If I wanted to fly with someone new right now I would have zero problem doing it.

If I wanted to find someone to fly with on the regular it might take a day or two but not that hard either.

All I'm reading is excuses on top of excuses.

Get on the TS, Discord and SRS channels provided by the servers post on forums such as this

or reddit and make friends. it really is as simple as that.

I too came form Falcon and yes it's a lot more sandbox but it's still better, you just need to put in some effort peeps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this a "DCS multiplayer sucks" thread or a "How to make friends thread"?

If I wanted to fly with someone new right now I would have zero problem doing it.

If I wanted to find someone to fly with on the regular it might take a day or two but not that hard either.

All I'm reading is excuses on top of excuses.

Get on the TS, Discord and SRS channels provided by the servers post on forums such as this

or reddit and make friends. it really is as simple as that.

I too came form Falcon and yes it's a lot more sandbox but it's still better, you just need to put in some effort peeps.

I think you're essentially right about this, but I will say it's a little bit overwhelming at first. I recently got on SRS for one of the servers, and it's pretty formal, like real ATC. I'm impressed with that level of immersion, but at the same time, I certainly didn't feel like I could start establishing any type of rapport with anyone, much less ask any questions. It looks like I might have a lot more exploring to do to of the various servers, squads, and comms options available then I originally wanted to, to be able to find a situation that provides the appropriate 'in' to really start learning the multiplayer environment.

• 1 month later...

+1 especially for new players. And back to the original topic of multiplayer, it would be much nicer if the game was designed for multiplayer by default. There's no reason to have the "player" type in the mission editor. Everything should be "client" and some sort of aircraft picker for those of us that want to play the mission with friends and not necessarily the default way.

One thing that people often mention is the idea of finding a virtual squad.

Now, there is a stickied DCS Squadron Directory thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34062

The problem is that it is 34 pages long, and is filled with huge graphics or meaningless text that don't necessarily help figuring out what unit does what. Some carefully list their requirements, but many leave you wondering what are the days of the week, timezone, aircraft flown, spoken language, comms method, formal/causal, current members, or other things. Much of the information is obsolete or outdated... the thread dates back to 2008 (yes, over a decade old!).

Certainly for someone who is new to multiplayer, it might be rather daunting to try to figure out how to find and contact a suitable squad.

Many years ago there used to be an F/A-18 sim with a compatible chat room that allowed you to have casual conversations, go on comms, launch into a missions all done on the spur of the moment. The main screen was the entire sim community for the sim. Separate servers are where you eventually end up but not start from.

Some people don't like it too organized, more spontaneous. Also I want to fly with 1 other person and do testing and learning which is not easy on most servers.

Making it easy to connect with someone without needing to be on at a specific time should be a given, this is the 24/7 internet...so I agree with the OP.

Edited by fitness88

• 1 month later...

Flying online with folks without having the struggles of keeping up with a VFS is exactly why we created https://reddit.com/r/hoggit, so might be worth it for a lot of the people I'm hearing here to check it out cause it sounds like a lot what you might be looking for. We're also all over Discord too. We're pretty active there as a Discord partner, and we're definitely always trying to help out new players, or seasoned players just looking to smoothly get into multiplayer in a low stress way.

Few years ago someone made a wish to have a virtual bar where to hang out.

Many did disagree with it.

But I agree in that we need far more than that, a mission briefing room and mission planning room.

A actual room where all the possible missions are projected on the wall. You see rosters, you see the possible mission lists, you get to see on big table a map and strategical situation based the reports from pilots and so on. And then you would as well make a flight plan on that same desk to your sortie.

It would be similar to a any aircraft cockpit, 6-DOF camera, predefined locations etc. But you can do that alone or with a friend.

There where you can see the roster on the wall, you can request people to join to your flight plan, or you can join to others.

The big thing would as well that you can make flight plans for others, that AI will fly in the given time schedule. That would of course be dedicated to the wingleader.

After each sortie, pilots who survived alive to base, get back to debriefing room where they can input the data of their mission success and mark their spotted enemies etc. So you update the situation status on the strategical map.

If you get shot down, you don't get that change until your virtual pilot is rescued. If you die, you never get that change.

To limit this somewhat, we would need to have the "visual recon" button to work so that you can mark on the kneeboard the general position of the target, and but you need to remember to select later manually what type of the target was in the debriefing.

That would as well make possible to fly reconnaissance sorties etc.

And as you could see all the players online/offline status on the server, you can easily start communicating. Have it over text or even audio. But that way get to plan flights with random people.

The AI would then later rate you based your performance on the sortie you designed. Like points from the target priorities by challenge as well benefit to others. Your ability to stay in the flight plan schedule, the accuracy and flight route etc.

Overtime you would get points in the server that can give you a higher rank on the server. That will give you other benefits. So based the hours you fly, performance points you get, you might become there to position design sorties for others. You start to be more accurate to mark targets in debriefing, you get access to better weapons, you get faster aircraft service times etc or modify the sortie weapon loadout. All kind small benefits from good flying.

If you die, your virtual pilot career is reseted. It is little like a Rogue RPG game. If you get shot down, you lose points, and other buffs. Shooting down friendlies is very serious penalty too, unless the friendly you shot down forgives you. Crashing someone on airfield or mishaps on airfield is negative points etc.

This would heavily change the type of the flying on such servers that has it in use. No stupid deaths, no stupid risks, no stupid heroics etc. You do your flying, you plan your mission carefully and you try to execute it as much you can.

Idea is to get healthy good military sim about flying with random people, plan together the sorties based the information others will deliver later.

Educate players to report, fill the debriefing (confirm targets destroyed etc) and so on.

There could even be a simple AI to make a basic sorties for players. Like task is to fly to given location and destroy there spotted a truck depot. If you are low ranking pilot (new on server) the AI will give you a simple flight plan, weapons loadout and enough fuel to complete it. THere would be sorties from 20min flying to 60min and up to 120 min flying. All with various requirements. And new sorties would be generated to start every 5-15 minutes. So there would always be something to pick and get flying if not wanted to plan something yourself.

And as said, higher level you get to modify and plan sortie yourself.

And this would make it more interesting that a experienced player can lead a flight and make the plan, set weaponloadouts etc, and new player can jump as a wingman.

The wingman gets points from following the lead, performing the tasks etc. So if wingman just starts flying random direction and engage random targets etc, they get marked from doing so, so their reputation to get picked by anyone else gets challenging, eventually possible even disallowed to fly on given server.

IMHO such thing would heavily get people to communicate and fly together, not required as you can fly alone as well, but everyone to play a "big war".

The easiest targets would be these cargo deliveries with helicopter, truck bombing, simple CAS etc. And then more difficulty ones would start to be SEAD and intercepts as well CAP.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

VS vary too wildly on rules and regulations. Most require monthly activity, active participation, and/or other various rules that just feels like I've gotta be HR complaint and abide by standards that dictates my ability to fly with others rather than just getting up in the air and have fun. I want to fly and have fun with someone, not hold down a 2nd job.

I know there's some out there that are a bit more relaxed, but I've never been interested in VS for reasons above. I flew with strangers for 5+ years in BMS and almost never encountered a bad experience due to the complexity and market of the sim. Many of those strangers became friends and we flew semi-regularly.

I'm totally with you on this... Having to use SRS, Teamspeak or Discord on the off chance you may be accepted into some group is hit and miss, also for me the varying rules and rigidity of a lot of sqn's is disconcerting, (I spent 12 years in the military and don't want to repeat the experience whilst trying to have fun in multiplayer) ;) I DO understand why sqn's need structure and servers need rules, however there does seem to be a lack of informality nowadays, it wasn't always like this, I remember my days in the V66th and early in Savage 77th, we were very informal and there weren't many rules, had a great time.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Looking for a causal VS

I'm in the same boat, have a demanding job but love flight sims and just want a couple of guys or squadron to fly with casually until I get up to speed on everything. I also understand the strict rules and demand they place on members but I don't want a second job right now just a few guys to fly realistically together for experience and fun. I love total realism or the best we can get but also love the summer months and can't be on every night.

So if anyone has a new SQ or VS and is looking at new players or just wants to hook up and fly please let me know, we will learn the ropes together.

I also us VR, guess it was a game changer for me once I tried it.

Todd

age 49, live in MN CST time zone. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I love DCS multiplayer however there is something sorely missing from the MP server and thats the feeling I'm fighting in a war ie. when i join servers (eg. TTI) i have to type in INTEL and it'll give me a list of current missions however what I'd prefer is to select a role (eg. CAP or CAS or SEAD) which should then give me an urgent mission to do X or Y which would help the overall war, etc. Right now its just 'blow this up', move to next waypoint, rinse and repeat.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I love DCS multiplayer however there is something sorely missing from the MP server and thats the feeling I'm fighting in a war ie. when i join servers (eg. TTI) i have to type in INTEL and it'll give me a list of current missions however what I'd prefer is to select a role (eg. CAP or CAS or SEAD) which should then give me an urgent mission to do X or Y which would help the overall war, etc. Right now its just 'blow this up', move to next waypoint, rinse and repeat.

Join one of the servers where people speak and missions matter - e.g. Persian Gulf at War / Georgia at War for PVE, Blue Flag / DDCS for PVP, and ask people in voice comms what you should do / where you can be helpful. I play a lot of DDCS and the first thing people ask is 'what do you need?' and they get given a mission that fits their preferred aircraft/mission.

Most of the servers are joke.

We need official servers or role playing servers.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

We need something like that:

Comanche vs Hokum

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/351/old-flight-simulator-on-windows

You can try it by following the link that tells you how to get the game.

Once the game is launched on a machine, just know the IP address to join.

Obviously the graphics are outdated, but the dynamic campaign system is excellent.

You can join at any time and choose what you want without constraints other than those of the simulators.

Why DCS devs would be unable to do the same?

We would finally have a real multiplayer with a system like that of Razorworks.

Edited by cromhunt

Comanche vs Hokum

Obviously the graphics are outdated, but the dynamic campaign system is excellent.You can join at any time and choose what you want without constraints other than those of the simulators.

ED has working on your own RTS / Dynamic campaign.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735513&postcount=178

Dynamic Campaign

While a hangar of great aircraft is certainly a wonderful thing, having an engaging, exciting, and dynamic combat environment is equally important. We have been developing the inner-workings of a dynamic campaign system which will continue into 2019. Based on the strategic goals and tactical situations, the systems will create dynamic Air Tasking Orders (ATO) that players then join to help their side to victory. This work is non-trivial, but we believe the addition of this system should be exciting for DCS users.

• 3 weeks later...

Comanche vs Hokum

Once the game is launched on a machine, just know the IP address to join.

Obviously the graphics are outdated, but the dynamic campaign system is excellent.

You can join at any time and choose what you want without constraints other than those of the simulators.

Thanks dude!

Well, I'm not happy with the DCS Ka-50 right now, because of lack of FLIR and Night attack ability, so I will try this out! Maybe I can get some night missions out of this. :p Flying the Ka-52 would be awesome! Better than nothing. Let's see what they did with this.

Edited by 3WA

Your post basically sums up my experience as well (also BMS guy along side here). And VS just dont work for me for the exact same reasons. The ability to plan your mission on the go in MP with others is not there without extra effort outside the game. Sure BMS also has it MP downfalls as well (not sim/scenario based). Just old UI and how its setup.

Issue I had with VS in both DCS & BMS experience is some of the rules and I get it needed in some cases. The monthly activity issue especially in the squadron's flights. Love the fact there is that option but in reality, having timing be considered for not only one timezone or even across the globe to nail it can be frustrating. If you have kids thats another issue. Some times it just doesnt work out. Timing/Responsibilities do and will continue to change. Could be on a bunch one month or week and hardly on another time. Just want to get up in the air, learn and enjoy the sim with anyone wanting to do the same but in a manner that we can still try to execute some sort of plan

• 2 years later...

I know I'm way late to the party but just came across this thread.

If your looking for a small casual group with no requirements or restrictions pleas PM me.

Mission specific , meaning not all that crazy stuff going on.

If you need to come up to speed I'm happy to help

We fly the F18 in open beta

5pm CST Sundays

Edited by BigDaddy

VMFA-323

BigDaddy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(out)