Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

I just wanted to follow up and adamantly thank everyone posting in this thread over the past few pages. I was one of those who tried the Samsung Odyssey+ for a few days and got fed up with it, boxed it up and had it ready to be returned. This was after countless hours of adjusting settings in a seemingly futile effort to get it to work at a consistent 45fps without any stuttering/ghosting when I'd turn my head quickly in the cockpit.

However, after seeing the suggestions some of you posted, as well as viewing some helpful threads you guys linked to, I now have the SO+ back up and running with a consistent 45fps and no stuttering/ghosting whatsoever.

The solution involved doing 5 critical things...

1) Enabling ASW re-projection in the Steam VR beta (Tutorial here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220815)

2) Setting MSAA to "OFF" in DCS settings

3) Setting "Anisotropic Filtering to "OFF" in DCS settings

4) In my NVIDIA Control Panel I decreased "Anisotropic Filtering" from 8x to 4x

5) Changing PD to 1.1 (1.2 and up seems to cause framerate drops for me with the 1070ti)

Now, even with Textures, Terrain Textures and Water all on HIGH, I have consistent 45fps with absolutely no stuttering/ghosting. It's not only made the OS+ usable with DCS, but makes me never want to go back to a flat screen for DCS again.

I should also mention that my setup consists of AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, 32GB D4 3000 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070ti. The new found performance of the SO+, with the above settings, has even alleviated my desire to make the jump to a 1080ti.

I'm a very happy camper. Thanks again!

Edited by oldmanflan

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, still on the fence about tracking though (assuming the Rift's tracking being a great baseline for comparison).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hmmmm. Still unsure......................

My situation - New to siming, but jumped in in a big way.

I have a 5K+ coming in a few months (late backer) and I'm using the time to prepare for the ultimate sim experience. So far I have bought...

Virpil stick, T-50 base, extensions

Virpil Throttle

Slaw Device RX pedals

Gametrix Jetseat with center stick cutout

Sim Lab P1 cockpit

Pimax 5K+

Still need to update the computer as it's at Rift standards. Need to get

I7 9700

Motherboard

New GPU 1080ti ? 2080ti?

New ram

Flight sim / racing software

Racing hardware - DD drive wheel, pedal shifter etc

Shaker transducers / Amps

So still a lot to spend. as you see Do I really want to divert funds while waiting for the 5K+? I'm spending a lot but the money was hard to come by. Still $299 for better visuals sounds like a deal....

I've been staring at the paypal buy button for 2 days now....

Edited by Wmacky

You can always sell it when it comes. So you're really talking about $150 to $200 now. LOL! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just took the plunge on the Odyssey+ (might be a nice little HMD to tie me over until the Rift 2 (fingers crossed) or the StarVR One (fingers crossed) comes out).

Couldn't resist for that price, as I usually buy anything up to $300 (tax pushed it to 325, but that's ok) without much fuss.

Thanks for all the input and reviews, those were super useful.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

How's the availability on the ody+?

I'll be in the US next week (near DC) and was thinking of maybe picking one up. Are there any online shops with it in stock (Samsung listed that they ship on Dec 16th) that could ship it so I'd have it by next friday at the latest? :)

Wmacky, I'm also a Pimax backer. I admit to a VR addiction and its part of the reason I bought the Odyssey but my plan, is to sell the Rift, keep the Odyssey for the misses and use the Pimax when it gets here.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Fair enough.

What was your PD?

I set PD on 1.0! It’s definitely improved in visual over rift I won’t argue with that for me comfort and sound just don’t push me over the line to move to new headset yet overall if it’s my first time I would buy SO+ over rift

I set PD on 1.0! It’s definitely improved in visual over rift I won’t argue with that for me comfort and sound just don’t push me over the line to move to new headset yet overall if it’s my first time I would buy SO+ over rift

Assuming you got 4x MSAA and 2x SSAA on then? At PD 1 mine would be unplayable with nasty jaggies everywhere

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Hmmmm. Still unsure......................

My situation - New to siming, but jumped in in a big way.

I have a 5K+ coming in a few months (late backer) and I'm using the time to prepare for the ultimate sim experience. So far I have bought...

Ppimax is a great deal if you are backer but it is not worth money they ask for it.

You will be satisfied, I'm hoping.

Think about to buying one Vive base station for 6DoF tracking. I'm not sure to do you need something else but one Base station is around 100$ new and should work for seating VR without controllers.

Track what is going on with this. There must be some report from some of the backer.

Only I'm concern about delivery for you as I didn't see much backers report they got their Pimax5/8K and Christmas is coming closer every day.

Yeah, its a preference thing on the PD. I have historically kept it low to maximize the size of enemy air (1.2 usually).

I'll say this, once I upgraded my system (see signature), I about maxed all the settings (Not MSAA of course because it does nothing in VR) and now I run at PD of 2.0. The difference is quite impressive. I mean, its still a Rift so there's limits but the amount of things that I can see is much improved. I assume due to the higher settings more than the PD.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

How is the FOV of the O+ compared to Rift ?

Same.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm breaking mine in after setting it up. My steps after letting it install (you just plug it in and go through a brief setup):

1 - Update your graphics card driver. This was the most time consuming part, and could have been done ahead of time.

2 - Sign up for Steam.

3 - Download Steam VR.

4 - In Steam, go to Library, right click steam VR and choose Properties. Select "Betas" on the right. Opt into the steam VR beta.

5 - Perform the reprojection driver tweak on page 8 of this thread. (this is necessary, and is a huge improvement)

6 - Restart it all.

7 - Experiment with your settings as you require. With a 1080ti I did not have to drop MSAA or Anisotropic at all. I did move PD down to 1.3 which really smoothed it out.

I'm in phase 7. Most of all these steps can be done before your O+ even arrives, and I'd recommend that.

Top three observations:

The first thing I noticed, and immediately was the SDE gone, & the colors.

Second was the sweet spot. Yes, it's smaller than the Rift's but I wouldn't say by a lot.

Third, readability. For me, the gauges in the AC were a bit more readable. Not staggeringly so, but a good 15% here.

Fitment - Ask your mom if you were born C section or not. If so, chances are you have a giant punkin' head and this may not fit you so good. My cranium is regular size and I have no issue wearing this. Light bleed for me is different than the rift, but all things considered - equal.

Anyway, I started this thread so I thought it was appropriate that I post my own day 1 experiences and a brief guide for the installation steps I took to close the karma loop.

/Fargo

Edited by fargo007
ETA - forgot to mention the absence of SDE

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I did the reprojection thing and I'm still having stuttering / ghosting issues on a 1080ti...

man, it could be anything really at this point

Check your settings - turn shadows down to flat, and either have MSAA on 2x and PD on 1.3, or MSAA off and PD on 1.5. That's a playable level with no ghosting or stuttering on my 1080ti. If you have MSAA on 4x, that'll badly affect your frames.

If you've got DCS on Steam make sure you're not doubling up on PD - there's supersampling settings in SteamVR that might take effect if you're running DCS on Steam (I don't think they do anything on standalone).

Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

Good info, fargo007 - looking forward to trying this on my O+ (currently on backorder).

Should’ve ordered it from the Windows store. I ordered mine on Wednesday and it arrives tomorrow.

I originally ordered from the Samsung website, and received a “Ships week of 12/23” notification. Soon thereafter I cancelled that order in favor of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Should’ve ordered it from the Windows store. I ordered mine on Wednesday and it arrives tomorrow.

I originally ordered from the Samsung website, and received a “Ships week of 12/23” notification. Soon thereafter I cancelled that order in favor of this one.

I waited too long to decide and the Windows store was out of stock. Ship date from Samsung is the week of 12/16. That’s OK as I have the OG to hold me over. Plus I just started playing iRacing. What a killer driving sim.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground