Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

I guess some third party mod or DIY mod parts will be soon out on the market.

Something similar to this mod for Vive audio strap.

You will need to be glued some velcro on a side to attach sides and made some 3D printed clip to attach stripe on top. Get some ideas from this video.

Also, there will be possible just to relife weight from the forehead by attaching simple velcro from the side of HMD to strap in the middle near to headphones. The strap will connect this two points and distribute weight more evenly around the head.

Such simple and cheap modification with just glued velcro on existing parts without opening HMD should not lose warranty.

Thanks wormeaten, That actually gives me a idea. For my Track IR I have used Dual Lock Velcro to secure the Proclip to my headset and can easily be taken off but its strong enough to keep it from wiggling when you turn your head. Regular velcro I felt it was never solid. And I have never had it come unglued from it surface. I can propbably make simple brackets easy to 3D print and just Dual Lock it on the headset. As of right now I have been debating taking off the stock ear muffs. I use a set of astro's. So wondering have you heard anyone doing that yet? Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-All-Weather-Fasteners-Inches-RFD7090/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_328_lp_t_3­?­_­e­n­c­o­d­i­n­g­=­U­T­F­8­&­a­m­p­&­p­s­c­=­1­&­a­m­p­&­r­e­f­R­I­D­=­8­2­A­G­G­5NDC0B03HZ4773C

EDIT Maybe these might work too, on my dirtbike helmet I replace the trap on my goggles with these. Kind of expensive but I think I have a set lying around. But to behonest the Velcro on these even when they got muddy never let go. And the hard wear is there already. Just got to get a strap.

https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Effex-QS-40-Goggles-Quick/dp/B00J0ASMA6/ref=asc_df_B00J0ASMA6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241881426435&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17246073904177959532&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032360&hvtargid=pla-571493865583&psc=1

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now, I did something stupidly simple - rummaged around the house for something, came across one of my wife's elastic strength bands, and use it as a makeshift strap going side-to-side. Did a quick session and seems to make a difference already.

XbTGcOs.jpg

8PZ5raA.jpg

Edit: Cut some holes into the band to slide it over the earphones; now it sits perfectly. Comfort level increased quite a bit with this (even though is ugly as can be). I am still looking for something more permanent down the line, but this is already much, much better for me.

Edit2: After some prolonged flying I can say that this really makes a difference. With that band distributing some of the weight at the top, the O+ facemask's bolster now sits more flush against my face than before, with pressure more evenly spread. Feels a little more like wearing the Rift now (scuba mask feeling comes to mind). I didn't have to tighten the back dial at all.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I have the original Odyssey and I too get pain across my forehead when flying for a while. I didn't think to use one of these bands.

I tried loosening the headset and not turning the wheel in the back so much but it's not much of a change. Some people took the padding out and used different padding. For me it squeezes my nose and I had to take the flaps and stick them inside by the lenses.

Ashame that the O+ said it would be more comfortable. Doesn't seem like it. I'm waiting for rift 2.0 or whatever google and LG come out with. I still have my rift boxed up but I didn't like having sensors on my desk.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

For now, I did something stupidly simple - rummaged around the house for something, came across one of my wife's elastic strength bands, and use it as a makeshift strap going side-to-side. Did a quick session and seems to make a difference already.

XbTGcOs.jpg

8PZ5raA.jpg

Edit: Cut some holes into the band to slide it over the earphones; now it sits perfectly. Comfort level increased quite a bit with this (even though is ugly as can be). I am still looking for something more permanent down the line, but this is already much, much better for me.

Edit2: After some prolonged flying I can say that this really makes a difference. With that band distributing some of the weight at the top, the O+ facemask's bolster now sits more flush against my face than before, with pressure more evenly spread. Feels a little more like wearing the Rift now (scuba mask feeling comes to mind). I didn't have to tighten the back dial at all.

That looks great RRohde! This weekend gonna rig something up for my O+.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gentlemen who use the Samsung Odyssey Plus goggles and do not have any problems with the image, could you send data from your goggles generated by the vrcmd application, as described in this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3750263&postcount=10

There is a large group of users of Samsung Odyssey Plus goggles with misalignment. Strangely, most games and applications work normally, and this problem occurs in DCS. We are trying to determine what is the reason for this behavior. Thank you in advance for your help.

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-3000MHz, RTX 2080 Ti, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, HP Reverb

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-15C, AV-8B, M2000C, F-5E, A-10C, AJS-37, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-21bis, MiG-29, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 K-4, SA342, UH-1H

That looks great RRohde! This weekend gonna rig something up for my O+.

"Looks great" is not really what comes to mind here, but the functionality is there. :D The rubber band is strong enough to provide the extra support I wanted, but it's by no means perfect.

Hopefully I'll find something a little more solid down the line, but the concept actually does seem to work with support going from side-to-side, rather than front-to-back (also seems to be easier to implement).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

"Looks great" is not really what comes to mind here, but the functionality is there. :D The rubber band is strong enough to provide the extra support I wanted, but it's by no means perfect.

Hopefully I'll find something a little more solid down the line, but the concept actually does seem to work with support going from side-to-side, rather than front-to-back (also seems to be easier to implement).

Well I was just applauding your ingenuity and quick thinking and thought it was spot on. I have been stewing more then a couple of weeks of trying to dream up 3d printed brackets with sheep skin covering for the straps, ultra plush. Some times I over look the path of least resistant.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice addition for over the head support, Velcro straps next? :D

With Rift you need to keep the HMD at the correct height for best resolution a lot easier with over the head support.

XbTGcOs.jpg

OT and all but just the background in the pic, nice pit you got going there. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well I was just applauding your ingenuity and quick thinking and thought it was spot on. I have been stewing more then a couple of weeks of trying to dream up 3d printed brackets with sheep skin covering for the straps, ultra plush. Some times I over look the path of least resistant.

Sometimes the simplest (interim) solutions are the best, albeit not always found readily lying around the house. :)

EDIT: I always wonder how people seek 3D printed solutions, as that would require a deep knowledge in 3D/CAD application to produce a design that can be printed in the first place... Kudos to you if you have those skills and can whip that up easily and accurately.

OT and all but just the background in the pic, nice pit you got going there. :thumbup:

Ah, yes, that's a prototype for Monstertech's MTX Sim Rig. My old Obutto is now a goner, but I kept the seat.

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried the Rift, Vive, Odyssey +, and several of the partner vendors for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Actually there was a demo team at West Edmonton Mall for about a month, going across the country giving folks a hands on look at WMR devices. The Samsung Odyssey Plus (O+) is by far the heaviest one of all. Sweet spot is certainly smaller than the Vive and it's got an IPD range of 60-67mm. Most of the WMR headsets will have light bleed from sides or nose area, depending on size/shape of your face. The ASUS model is the lightest, weighing in at only 400 grams. Asus has an IPD of 60-65mm, and IMO is the second most comfortable from the Lenova Explorer WMR. (Lenova let in a tad bit more light bleed from the sides, in my case.)

I ordered an Asus WMR headset, which is due to arrive on November 27th. I'll get back to this with an update to how that works with DCS.

Nope, it does not work with DCS. Returned to Microsoft Store for a full refund. Avoid.

i7-8700K@ 4.9GHz, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, 2TB HDD, Win10 Home, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog, Hornet Grip, Cougar MFDs, Monstertech desk mounts, VKB T.Rudders, Alienware 34" curved Ultrawide, PG & NTTR, F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, SA342, UH-1H, Ka-50, L-39, Yak 52, Su-33, FC3.

• 4 weeks later...

yep just dropped my wallet in the shredder :) ordered an O+ from the UK... via https://shop.bigapplebuddy.com/

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well there is also amazon with salty 399 EUR and shipping to Europe as well.

Really pity, the headset is excellent, if you do not consider the comfort aspects - pretty stupid from Samsung IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Wireless-Controllers-XE800ZBA-HC1US/dp/B07HS7R1RT/ref=sr_1_7?crid=82Y7ADX94OKT&keywords=samsung+odyssey+plus&qid=1550516035&s=gateway&sprefix=samsung+odyss%2Caps%2C343&sr=8-7

Just ordered my SO+ even though I have a Pimax 5K+ on preorder too. Figure I can watch movies with the SO+ since it has no SDE. Selling my Oculas if anyone interested. Putting on ebay tomorrow.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I ordered mine when i heard about the sale. If its as good as it sounds i'll be happy. @300 its hard not to pull the trigger on it. Heres to hoping its awesome. If so i'll sell my rift.

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

• 1 month later...

Can someone help me transition from the Rift to the O+ please. I've read bits and pieces in various threads but a checklist would be helpful in terms of getting the O+ configured for DCS. What settings do I need to be mindful of and where, exactly, do I find them? I've been running the Rift at 1.4pd (1080ti) previously.

Obviously I've plugged in the O+ and installed the WMR for SteamVR app. What should I do next? :helpsmilie:

Thanks

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Can someone help me transition from the Rift to the O+ please. I've read bits and pieces in various threads but a checklist would be helpful in terms of getting the O+ configured for DCS. What settings do I need to be mindful of and where, exactly, do I find them? I've been running the Rift at 1.4pd (1080ti) previously.

Obviously I've plugged in the O+ and installed the WMR for SteamVR app. What should I do next? :helpsmilie:

Thanks

See my post #94 in this thread on page 9 or 10.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• 1 month later...

XbTGcOs.jpg

8PZ5raA.jpg

Just to bring a conclusion to my quest for a better, more comfortable O+ experience: I've purchased the StudioForm Creative head-strap designed for WMR HMDs, and it works beautifully well with my O+.

This picture shows it installed, and I was glad to remove my green elastic band for it. :)

9cvwSDy.png

It's a 100% improvement over the standard O+, and thus highly recommended for anyone who struggles with that forehead pain. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Just to bring a conclusion to my quest for a better, more comfortable O+ experience: I've purchased the StudioForm Creative head-strap designed for WMR HMDs, and it works beautifully well with my O+.

This picture shows it installed, and I was glad to remove my green elastic band for it. :)

9cvwSDy.png

It's a 100% improvement over the standard O+, and thus highly recommended for anyone who struggles with that forehead pain. :thumbup:

Yes it is...with this and vr cover the odyssey + becomes very comfortable

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hrrm, going to order and try the Studioform for the O+, great reviews, and after watching a couple I now understand how it takes the load/weight of the HMD a lot better. For $33 incl shipping, seems well worth it.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I can also wholeheartedly recommend the VR cover for the odyssey plus. I have the studio creative on order and received the VR cover first. The VR cover made a HUGE difference in comfort.

With the headset at $299 and $60 for some comfort, its a great deal for a starter HMD.

I created a summary of settings for the o+ here -

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239020

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs