Incorrect Airspeed?

dresoccer4

hey guys, quick question: i'm playing new Enemy Within campaign, and about half way through mission 2 I noticed my IAS was way low. Anyone venture a guess as to why the discrepancy?

cockpit IAS: 164

actual IAS: 238

true speed: 274

airspeed as shown in cockpit:

[ATTACH]204342[/ATTACH]

IAS as shown in control bar and F10 screen:

[ATTACH]204343[/ATTACH]

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Maybe your pitot tube has frozen, did you turn on the pitot heat?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Incorrect Airspeed?

Yup, as above, pitot heat!

Although, I believe it’s incorrectly modeled in the sim. No visible moisture, and you’ll still be able to freeze your pitot in DCS. Either way, pay attention to your temperatures aloft during the prebrief, and if you expect to be flying at freezing temps, turn on the pitot heat. Option B, since you will likely not burn out the heater in the sim, just leave it on all the time. Make it part of your start up procedure.

Edited by GTFreeFlyer

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Maybe your pitot tube has frozen, did you turn on the pitot heat?

Yup, as above, pitot heat!

Although, I believe it’s incorrectly modeled in the sim. No visible moisture, and you’ll still be able to freeze your pitot in DCS. Either way, pay attention to your temperatures aloft during the prebrief, and if you expect to be flying at freezing temps, turn on the pitot heat. Option B, since you will likely not burn out the heater in the sim, just leave it on all the time. Make it part of your start up procedure.

good call. pitot heat was not on, but there were no clouds in the sky so didn't think of it. i also didn't realize those sorts of scenarios were modeled in DCS. the more more you know....

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

good call. pitot heat was not on, but there were no clouds in the sky so didn't think of it. i also didn't realize those sorts of scenarios were modeled in DCS. the more more you know....

Your airspeed indicator value is the result of = [Total pressure (Dynamic + Static) - Static pressure] If you get ice in the pitot tubes "inlet" for Total pressure (the hole in the center) your Airspeed indicator will start behaving like an altimeter. The inlet for static pressure is located on the pitot tubes side.

I had never really thought about pitot heat on the A-10C either, because you're usually either in the weeds, or spending a relatively short amount of time at high altitude over the target area. I had my pitot tube ice up when returning from plinking tanks on an island in the Persian Gulf. I think I spent over an hour at 18,000 feet and above to avoid getting shot at by Osas while I dropped GBU-12 after GBU-12 on multiple passes. On the way back home, starting my descent, my airspeed started decreasing as I dropped in altitude. It was a shock at first, but pretty cool how the airspeed was responding correctly to an increase in static pressure while pitot pressure remained fixed.

Just a side story on the pitot system. I'm working on getting a Hawker Sea Fury trainer version all up to snuff after it being brought back to life recently. It had a HUGE leak in the pitot system, and I asked the aircraft owner "Have you been seeing lower airspeeds than you expect to see?" He said "Yes! It DID seem like my airspeed was reading low! How did you know?"

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

FYI turning on Pitot heat is a checklist item for before take off in the Hog, it should always be on in flight (also true of most tactical aircraft).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

FYI turning on Pitot heat is a checklist item for before take off in the Hog, it should always be on in flight (also true of most tactical aircraft).

Yep you’re right. If I’m in a rush I just go by memory most of the time and this is the result

I’m a GA pilot IRL but I’m much more thorough I promise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk