Some help understanding how the key bindings work in the sim please

Hi, Can someone explain for me a little how the sim assigns and saves key bindings etc? I ask because it seems to vary for me. For example, tonight, I started the sim, my TM F-18 grip has been delivered, and want to try it out.

When I start the sim after connecting the grip to my R3L base, and go into controls in the sim, I find that lots of my previous bindings have changed, I have for example got all the views mapped to both of the columns assigned for the R3, so I need to delete them all. And nearly all of my previously saved assignments are now not there.....

So while I wait for some help on the real simulator forum, I thought, OK, I will just use the warthog joystick base , no force sensing, but at least I can fly....so plug it in and attach the new F-18 grip...now in DCS, there is a warthog joystick column, but loads of seemingly randomly applied bindings to keys and functions that are wrong???

Whats going on and why please? Obviously I can laboriously change all these and assign the correct keys, but why is the sim doing this? Surely, in an F-18 sim, it should detect and assign the correct functions to the dedicated TM stick?

Thank you...

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

DCS treats each HID as a column. So you have the R3L base Column, the SGRH Column, and when you plug in a Warthog base you get another Column for that. Like the Warthog F-16/A-10 the TM F-18 is a "Passive" unit that works through the Base, either R3L or Warthog Base. The SGRH is its own independent HID separate from whatever base it's connected to.

As to the weird presets, DCS has weird default presets. I dono why, all sims seem to do that, you always just have to delete them and set your own. And it seems to revert to them sometimes randomly/when an update corrupts the Binding file.

Not only do you have settings for all Modules, but there's also a "General" category. I tend to erase all mappings in this category after every update.

If you use TARGET with your TM devices, they'll be combined into a "Thrustmaster Combined" column. This presents it's own set of challenges when mapping and saving bindings. If your mapping a Direct-X button, it goes in the "Thrustmaster Combined" column. If your mapping a key stroke, it goes in the "Keyboard" column regardless of the device your using.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Thanks, useful info re the bindings. Newey, ta, that video though I am familiar with all the contents. It's the next level I need some help with....

For example, saving and loading profiles....

1)When you save a profile, does it save that version of every bind in every column? Or just the column you highlight?

2)Do you only get the spurious bindings after updates? As not sure, but my bindings were messed up without an update last time I think..?

3) If you get spurious bindings, can you simply load the saved profile and save this over the buggered up one?

Final question relates to the use of Real simulator kit - I have the R3L base, and it generates 2 columns, as its 2 HID devices...How can you tell which column to use for the bindings?

And if I swap out grips, for example, new F-18 grip for the warthog grip, are the joystick button numbers different and would I need to save and load a new profile for the different joystick ?

Thanks!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

And if I swap out grips, for example, new F-18 grip for the warthog grip, are the joystick button numbers different and would I need to save and load a new profile for the different joystick ?

Thanks!

I think I olny can help you with this, after buying the Hornet grip.

You have a profile with your Warthog grip. That´s ok. Save it with a Warthog related name one last time.

Then, once you plug the new stick, a new column in the sim will show up. You will have to rebind all your modules with your new stick. Also remember the modifier B4.

Then, with one item of this new column highlighted, click on save profile.

Use a name related with the new stick.

And then you will have two complete profiles, and you will have to load one depending on the stick you want to use, but you save the time of having to bind everything every chanche you swap the sticks.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Thanks, I understand now how it works. Please can you explain what you mean by the “B4 modifier”?

Rgds, Mark