AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

172 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

@gaz2644

What are you running? Rift S?

Does SteamVR show as Running? I manually start SteamVR first, then VRK and then DCS SteamVR Mode.

Next I do is recenter, since the kneeboaed is relative to your VR Center position!:book:

Jope you get it running. Otherwise just wait for the Oculus integration.:pilotfly:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

As a subproduct of the work done for the native Oculus implementation, I'm about to release an upgrade containing the custom "focus" management and the possibility to enlarge the detection area.

You will find four more parameters in the configuration to set the detection area factor for width and height targeted to focused and unfocused mode. The factor means the 1.0 is 100%, 1.3 is 30% larger and so on.

This should be enough for the most cases. Also, the detection now is far more responsive.

As I'm about to close this version, if you have some bug to notify, please let me know!

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Hey Rider.

Just to be sure, the native oculus implemention won't be in the next version, right?

Focus control is great as well.

Thank for your time to develop this.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Native Oculus is still in progress. As it's taking more than expected (also because of personal things) I decided to merge and release some requested features.

Also, it will be good for me to have people testing the Custom Focus logic before releasing the big thing.

I just forgot to add that the upcoming version will contains the pan and zoom functions for supporting pen-less installations.

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Another use for my Wacom tablet only problem is it’s a medium the perfect size would be the small one..

I was hoping for iPad support as I have a couple laying around that would be perfect to Velcro to my leg strap for hold charts and notes. Any chance on it comping down the line and yes the older ones can use a bt stylus.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Do you have to use steam for it to work

Yes and no....

You have to use SteamVR (aka OpenVR), the VR API of Steam which can be installed from Steam interface.

This doesn't mean that you have to use Steam version of DCS, but just to force DCS to run in StamVR/OpenVR mode by means of commandline parameters.

Also, I'm actively working on the Oculus Native implementation to get rid of all this and improve performance to Oculus user.

Version 1.1.3.19 is out

Changelog:

[1.1.3.19]

[NEW] Custom Focus Logic

[NEW] Pan & Zoom functions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Another use for my Wacom tablet only problem is it’s a medium the perfect size would be the small one..

Well, I disagree. It's more 1:1 to a normal kneeboard, so it makes using it easier.

I really like my wacom intuos medium tablet.

The software is running really well. Only Program I have is SteamVR. A bit a hassle to start it up and the performance is just worse :cry:, so I really looking forward to the Oculus implementation :pilotfly:.

Will there be any drawbacks/Shortcommings in the Oculus implementation? Maybe some function you cannot get to work within Oculus?

Do you have an estimated timeframe? (Weeks, Months?)

Would like to know if I should tweak SteamVR a bit more or just wait. :D

Thanks

Well, I disagree. It's more 1:1 to a normal kneeboard, so it makes using it easier.

I really like my wacom intuos medium tablet.

The software is running really well. Only Program I have is SteamVR. A bit a hassle to start it up and the performance is just worse :cry:, so I really looking forward to the Oculus implementation :pilotfly:.

Will there be any drawbacks/Shortcommings in the Oculus implementation? Maybe some function you cannot get to work within Oculus?

Do you have an estimated timeframe? (Weeks, Months?)

Would like to know if I should tweak SteamVR a bit more or just wait. :D

Thanks

The problem with OculusVR is that it doesn't support external overlays at all. That's why the most of the overlay tools require SteamVR to run.

To be able to "inject" the kneeboard, I'm putting VRK in between DCS and Oculus APIs which Oculus made as difficult as they can.

Moreover Oculus does not support any means of "virtual" headset so I can only test things when I'm home (nights and weekends when I'm not travelling).

Everything is already in place, but I'm debugging a problem that I hope to fix in a matter of days. The rest should be straightforward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hi thx for the update , your new focus_factor is fantastic, :thumbup:

now there is no reason anymore for neck ache

reflew a mission with your great app, makes things so much easier to handle

o7

just tell me if there is anything i can help you with

Edited by FoxDelta

Focus factor enlarges the sensitive area to enter the focused mode

Go to post #177 for more details

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

So it does require steam

Yes, at this moment. But... as written 5 post above:

Everything is already in place' date=' but I'm debugging a problem that I hope to fix in a matter of days. The rest should be straightforward.[/quote']

Shouldnt be to long until we can use it directly in Oculus. :pilotfly: Thanks to Rider :thumbup:

hi Rider, is there a way to set a template as standard page when adding a new one,

so eg. a nineliner form is present on every new page i add?

Yes, you can use the "Forms" tab (second from the left).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Great idea! What's the progress on this one? Will it work on normal tablets (E.g. Samsung), Will it work with DCS standalone Beta etc??

With normal I guess you mean either Android or Apple ... short story I have no plan to implement them right now.

I moved the "tablet" implementations to low priority because everybody using a tablet (me included) opted to buy the graphics tablet. Usability is much better and the cost is not much (and you don't risk to destroy your tablet).

Other features seemed more important for the user base.

VRK works with any version of DCS (also with any SteamVR software).

Oculus implementation is progressing ... I made it show into Oculus demo application, DCS is still complaining but I'm tracking the problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Using VR Kneeboard v 1.1.3.19 with Win 10 v 1903 with the client on a Surface 3 Pro and about half the time the Surface 3 client fails to function properly and the program is reported non-responsive by Windoze. Sometimes the images will load on the client, but not on the server, even tho it shows as connected. I understand that Surface is not one of the officially supported tablets, but any suggestions to improve reliability? I have reinstalled a couple of times.

Xmas is coming for Oculus users

attachment.php?attachmentid=222154&stc=1&d=1575317605

Habu_69, I took note and I will do a debug session for the client/server as soon as the Oculus implementation will be released.

VRK-Oculus.png.ff87898f952fa853ca0c14e1ded6f786.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Well, the VRK is usable without any game loaded. Currently SteamVR is all that is required.

AFAIK Oculus will be the same with some restrictions (DX11, 64Bit).

So if XPlane 11 is ran within SteamVR it should work without issues. If its ran with the restrictions above, it should work on Oculus as well.

But download VRK, run it with SteamVR and XPlane and test it out. You don't need a tablet to test the basic function (Writing and gestures are missing ofc).

As Gruman pointed out, VRK is designd to run anywhere, but let me go a little technical....

If you have a SteamVR visor everything should work out of the box.

If you have Oculus you should care about what 3D API are used. Xplane 11 is OpenGL, P3D is DX11.

Pre-release Oculus support is for DX11 (tested with DCS only), but I have OpenGL already drafted. I'm using Xplane too, so it will be easy to test it. Planned by the end of this week.

TL; DR yes, but you have to wait a little for it (and that's why I didn't announced it on XP forums yet).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK