About those CASE 3 landings at night....

neofightr

Here is a video I just stumbled upon.

The action doesn't start until the 3 minute mark, Ball call sent chills down my spine when the LSO rogered up with 37 kt port winds. Thankfully the pilot survived this.

This should be a reminder as to how precise landing on the carrier is and how bonkers stressful nighttime landings are.

Notice how he had a good start, deck pitch and super strong winds were his undoing.

So all those simmers landing with red balls on the OLS, this is what could happen in real life.

Take note.

One thing I would emphasize is by the time the first syllable of "POWER" was screamed from the LSO, I guarantee you the pilot was at full power already and going into afterburner but to no avail. The strong winds and the disturbed air around the carrier was pushing the plane down big time.

I had a close call like this at night and if I hadn't gone to afterburner when I did I would have caught the one wire (or worse) instead of the 4 wire.

What do you think the big correction away to the right then back to the left was about..Wind shear? That looked like when he lost a lot of lift quickly?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

What do you think the big correction away to the right then back to the left was about..Wind shear? That looked like when he lost a lot of lift quickly?

According to the News he crashed with around 150kts, so I was guessing the same. Might have been some windshear.

DCS F-14 Tomcat Alley Discord Server:

Unfortunate for the guy in the OP video.

This was next up on YT

I know it is in the heat of moment, but sometimes you should (the LSO) should contain themselves, screaming repeatedly over and over might only confuse the pilot.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I know it is in the heat of moment, but sometimes you should (the LSO) should contain themselves, screaming repeatedly over and over might only confuse the pilot.

I think repetition is important in radio communication when there's an emergency, to make sure the message gets through and the pilot understands it and the weight of the situation.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Spoken like a true critic who never had to put it on the line.

You fly by AoA, obey the LSO, follow the ball. As for once on deck; I believe it's SOP to go full power once the wheels touch the deck, regardless of whether you think you caught a cable; then back to idle, following the instructions from an Air Marshall.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

when you're in an airplane, and someone starts screaming at you, you KNOW there's a problem.

——————

i7 7820x 4.3ghz

Asus tuf x299 mk 2

32gig G.skill 3200mhz ram

500gig ssd OS

2x 1tb ssd raid 0

GeForce GTX 1080

HTC Vive