2 or 3 MFDs for your experience?

smallberries

Hi everyone, I have 2 external MFDs but would have to do some serious surgery on my setup to accommodate a 3rd. I was wondering if any of you are in the same boat, and maybe have a better understanding of how important use of the 3rd MFD in the Hornet will be? Can we get by working with only 2, or will we really want the 3rd?

The 2 DDIs are the MPCD are different.

For instance the map can only be displayed on the MPCD.

You will want all 3 ;)

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

It's probably a question that only you can answer in the end: whatever suits you well :smilewink:

If you foresee to spend many hours flying the hornet per month or even per week and your rig supports the additional display well (performance-wise) you might want to invest in that "surgery".

For my part, I always used to (and still do) fly the A-10C with two Cougar MFCD bezels but only one has a small 8" screen behind. For me that works fine, I use that MFCD mainly for the Litening targeting pod and DSMS setup pages. Since my rig is rather old and does not have super duper performance from a year 2018 perspective, I will likely stick with my single MFCD display even with the Hornet and use it for the radar and ATFLIR pages. Not having the moving map there would be acceptable for me.

And since my TM Warthog stick just broke last week (after around 8 years of duty) I have to spend 300 bucks on a new one which means the investment for a completely new PC is now another 300 bucks further away...:(

Edited by Hog_No32
  • Like 1

Use a modifier, a toggle switch for example, then you can even do with 1 MFD (On-Off-On toggle). Unless you plan to have screens behind'em of course.

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Use a modifier, a toggle switch for example, then you can even do with 1 MFD (On-Off-On toggle). Unless you plan to have screens behind'em of course.

That's what I plan to do too. Just use one of the rarely used rocker switches on the MFD to switch between centre and left.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

That's what I plan to do too. Just use one of the rarely used rocker switches on the MFD to switch between centre and left.

Dont have MFD's myself, but are those rocker switches toggles, or momentary? Cause if momentary, they will need to be held down while hitting the OBS's.

Thinking about solutions myself, cause being in VR, and the F-18 looking to be fairly MFD operation heavy, as in all the radar functions etc, seem to be trough the MFD, well, makes life a little tough - have to reach for the mouse a lot.

So Ive been thinking about getting me a set, but just use one + a 3 way toggle. My muscle memory is quite strong, so Im sure I can hit the right buttons without too much fumble. Already have 2 button boxes, and have little to no problem hitting the right button. Or certain keyboard (in front of me) keys, like F-keys, arrow keys, space, backspace, pageup/down, enter, return, tab, lctrl, rctrl. Those I can hit blind.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Hi everyone, I have 2 external MFDs but would have to do some serious surgery on my setup to accommodate a 3rd. I was wondering if any of you are in the same boat, and maybe have a better understanding of how important use of the 3rd MFD in the Hornet will be? Can we get by working with only 2, or will we really want the 3rd?

The DDIs can display practically anything that the MPCD can, so you should be ok with just two MFDs.

The MPCD is multi-purpose, but is used primarily for the moving color map. However, the map can also be displayed on the DDIs - just not in color(only monochrome).

• Like 1

JJ

i wouldnt buy anything before i gain a bit of experience if its really needed.

So far i assume that i need to extract that 3rd MFD to the 2nd Screen at least.

Just to be able to see it correctly because the Stick seems to be in front of it.

Then at first i will use some modifier for the use of the Thrustmaster MFDs. Some switch at the Warthog but currently not sure which switch until i have a plan which other funtions i need on the switches there.

Thanks everyone for the responses. My main concern was being able to view the map, so being able to put that on one of the DDIs is pretty good info. Maybe later I'll get a 3rd lilli and stick the MPCD somewhere on my desk.

Fun fact, I already have the extra Cougars, because Amazon didn't warn me that they come 2 to a package ^^

• Like 1

Dont have MFD's myself, but are those rocker switches toggles, or momentary? Cause if momentary, they will need to be held down while hitting the OBS's.

You can configure a modifier button in DCS to work either way.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You can configure a modifier button in DCS to work either way.

Ouh really, wasnt aware. Thx for the tip :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone.

İmagine i ahve 2 sets of Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

And put 3 of them on the 2nd(acualy 4th) monitor.2 above one belov in the middle.

So question is can i extract the 3rd mfd to my stup?Of course how?

thank you guys

The DDIs can display practically anything that the MPCD can, so you should be ok with just two MFDs.

A bit in another way.

MPCD can show all the DDI formats, except SURF format in A/G Master mode from RDR ATTK

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

In this case not an app. I have 3 displays put behind the front console. I attached an image so you can see how I did it. I do have 2 1080 TIs to make this happen. I turn off SLI and utilize 4 video ports on the back of the video cards to run the 3x displays and my main display.

There is a ton of information on this site regarding pulling the related view ports - i think there are sticky's in the I/O section of the forums.

Also, yes - I have the CDU being displayed on the bottom, middle monitor because the 10-charlie only technically has two displays. For the hornet it will be all 3.

Take a look at this thread of my progress:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205723

1901903120_image1(1)(1).jpeg.dd33250ca6494a0431a99424c96a432b.jpeg

Thank You.

But still dont understand how did it.Or which app you use it.İ use İControl for ipad.Or for me the best UltraMFCD but dont support anymore.

???