Narrowing down my "expertise"

Zimmerdylan

I have been doing this DCS thing for a long time now. I have put in a lot of time and money. I own all but a couple of the modules. The Mig21, M2000, Harrier, and C101 are the only ones I don't have.

Every time I boot my DCS up, I am faced with a dilemma. What to fly? what to fly? As I tap my fingers on my desk while scanning through all my planes. I'll tell ya. It has been a real problem. I love flying all of them.......sometimes....well maybe all the time. I don't friggin know.

It has led me down this path of being pretty good with some aircraft, kind of good on others, and just overwhelmed on others because I forgot some of the complicated procedures because I don't fly them enough. I'll tell ya, it gets on my nerves!

So......I have resolved to become proficient on just 3 aircraft. Not that I'll give up on the others, but I'll concentrate my efforts and devote more of my time to just 3 aircraft. I will break it into three categories: WWII, Jet aircraft, and of course....helicopters. I'll do all of the training, purchase campaigns, and really work at them.

OK....now what???? I have been pondering this for months. I keep changing my mind. One thing I do know is that I am leaning heavily (and always have) toward the A10C as the jet. What's not to like? There's nothing better than pounding enemy targets into the ground. And the detailed cockpit is just awesome to me. But then again...That F-18 is looking pretty serious. And the F-5 with it's simplicity. See my problem???

I could go on and on about all of the modules. But one thing I know is that I am a jack of all modules but no where near a master of any of them. I want to change this. But it seems I'll just keep tossing it all around in my head and never make the decision to really become great at any of them..........Sigh.:joystick:

Hi,

Man, I know exactly what you mean. I have all except Hawk, C-101, and Gazelle.

My approach is to fly one, seriously, Manual open, until the point of being frustrated or bored, (usually frustrated) to the point of building memory, usually a month or 2, sometimes a year or more (A-10).

then move to another, usually the one I know the least about, and do the same, until I want something totally different.( i.e. Helios Mi-8 and Ka-50 both took almost 8 months each).

That's one thing that's so cool about DCS is that all modules are so completely different, but on the other, its hard to pick one to fly!

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Common problem among DCS pilots. :)

What changed it for me was joining a squadron. In the squad, I fly the A-10C exclusively. I thought I knew a fair bit about the aircraft before, but I learned so much more in the meantime. And there's still lots left to learn.

SP and free flight, I allow some time for the other modules, though it usually comes down to my other favorites, which are Ka-50, Huey and Harrier.

Well, until Wednesday, that is. No way I'm not going to devote a lot of time to the Hornet. ;)

Similar issue, I have the MiG-21 (and others), but that's on hold whilst I have been circuit bashing the Harrier, just when I start to move onto something else a feature is added to the Harrier and come back.

I think that one could actually stick to just one airframe and if you're going into serious study depth; that'll be more than enough, let alone three. So currently coupling circuit bashing with Tacview self-debrief on how to square away parts where I've become lazy/rusty.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Similar to Yurgon...

Being accepted into the 476th vFG has given me a laser-like focus on flying the A-10C. I've probably learned more about it the last couple of months than I ever figured out on my own over the previous couple of years. It's certainly shown me what I didn't know...

I expect our Hornet workups will be similarly rewarding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I’m sure many of us have that.

A solution is to let circumstances drive you. I recently joined a squadron that will focus on Harriers, F18s and Hueys, which by default will ensure where my focus is.

If I wasn’t I think I’d probably chose:

- F18 as it will be complex and can do everything

- Mig21, which I understand is a real challenge

- Mi8, also a great challenge

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Indeed, I suffer the same dilemma.

As a consequence, I stopped buying anything after the M2000 cause I do know I won't have the time & patience to learn any of them to an extend that i could use them in combat.

I use 4 airframes to combat, Ka-50, Mi-8, Su25T and Su27. The others only on Aerobatic Servers.

It's a shame but one has to accept that there only is that much time and will left at the end of ones day that not all will fit.

The A10C is a mysterium for me, still, after 6 years, I have done the tutorilas like 5 years ago and never went on, forgot it ALL I guess. I still wait for the day when i get back to it, I just dont know if that will ever happen in my RL.

I would love the FA18 once SEAD capable, but I would be frustrated to own it and not knowing how to use it as I wouldnt find the needed time to learn it. I have been through this a few times and I said to myself, after knowing how family destroying hobbies can be, THAT MUCH and no inch further. That left me with the Ka-50 and Mi-8 as my Helicopters, the Su-25T for SEAD and the Su27 for my meanwhile rather occasional A2A fever.

The M2000 would be my next project if I was for Air Dominance, I guess that is only medium difficult system to remember, in addition to the others..... how many can one add.

I am pretty sure, I own like 15 or more modules, i will NEVER know them all to an extend that pays tribute to the devs work.

But hey, you can't be on all parties, neither can you have all girls you meet. That's life.

Knowing what you can skip is a blessing sometimes, as it frees your mind and buys time.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Since Su-27 Squadron Commander's Edition way back in 1996 I think I probably have about 3-4K hours in the Su-27. Flying being a perishable skill I still try to fly it for 30-60 minutes most days to keep my muscle memory & skills current. The thing still has the capacity to surprise me if I do something stupid.

I think I have all the other modules with the exception of the choppers. I can't really say that I even intend to learn them all. Bought most of them to support the developers.

I think I'll probably devote quite a lot of time to learning the FA-18, not because it's one of my favourite aircraft but because it's so versatile and will eventually be able to fulfil pretty much any mission in DCS.

If I have any spare time at all I'd also like to get to know the Viggen a lot better. I like the idea of a low & fast dedicated strike aircraft.

All that being said, if ED made a DCS: Su-27 I would never fly anything else. Just saying ED ;)

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.