Gear fairing doors/hydraulic release valve

MTFDarkEagle

Hi,

Just a small report, easily reproduced:

Get the fairing doors up (start/stop engine). With engine stopped pull hydr. release valve, notice the doors start dropping down. Push valve back in and the doors stop dropping.

(note, version 6192 IIRC...)

*whaaa d'oh!!! Just noticed the title... "Rudder fairing doors"???

In my own defence, I got a cup of coffee AFTER I wrote this :D

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

The pressure is not released instantly, it is slowly released. (You watch a P-51 after shut down and it can take 5 - 10 minutes for the does to drop fully because there is still some pressure there). If you put the handle back in while there is still some pressure, the doors will stay at that point.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

The pressure is not released instantly, it is slowly released. (You watch a P-51 after shut down and it can take 5 - 10 minutes for the does to drop fully because there is still some pressure there). If you put the handle back in while there is still some pressure, the doors will stay at that point.

It was designed so that when you pull that handle all the pressure is released. That's why it's there. If it takes 5-10 minutes, the handle is not pulled. When you dont pull the handle, indeed it takes 5-10 minutes, because that way the hydraulic pressure drops slowly, thus leaving the locks enabled until the pressure drops below a certain threshold, at which point the locks are disengaged due to lack of hydraulic pressure.

Now, should you pull the hydraulic release valve, all pressure is released INSTANTLY. Big difference!

That is exactly the behaviour i would expect from looking at the hydraulics diagram (*hint* look at where that pressure release valve is situated in relation to the fairing door piston).

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!