Salvo Mode Indication

Hello All -

Flying the sweet new MIG-29A model and trying out the different attack modes. I plan on going in to drop a few bombs, but want to drop them one at a time or in pairs.

So i'm looking in the cockpit and click my "Salvo Mode" key, but cannot for the life of me see any indication of that change. I THINK i've located the switch in the cockpit (russian isn't my forte) but it remains motionless.

Any tips or advice on this?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

just tested su-27 and this issue applies to it as well. searched the manual and salvo is never mentioned..

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Not sure what the current situation is with the MiG, but in the Su-27 bombs and cluster bombs always drop in matched pairs (i.e. one from the equivalent positions on the left & right wings) to avoid any asymmetric trim issues. It's probably just that the knob in question simply isn't animated like it is in the Su-25.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

The knobs should have been animated years ago. It's so annoying you can't tell in what mode you are. The MiG-29 received a new cockpit, why wasn't this problem fixed with it? And it's now only the MiG-29 that has this problem.

Not sure what the current situation is with the MiG, but in the Su-27 bombs and cluster bombs always drop in matched pairs (i.e. one from the equivalent positions on the left & right wings) to avoid any asymmetric trim issues. It's probably just that the knob in question simply isn't animated like it is in the Su-25.

hmm i had 6 pylons loaded with the 6*fab100 loadouts (36 total bombs) and when i went to release it just dumped them all once. but i was pressing the salvo key, so if it is magically working behind the scenes it would be hard to know

• 1 year later...

Necro-threading, because this is kind of large issue with the 'gameplay.' I'm trying to set specific salvos but still no indicator on these planes. Not something you really want to guess about. Of course I could try to remember what the default mode is and then try to make sure I select from memory the correct number of times I have to press the button for each, but then why have all of the cockpit if I just need to wing it. (pun intended)

Necro-threading, because this is kind of large issue with the 'gameplay.' I'm trying to set specific salvos but still no indicator on these planes. Not something you really want to guess about. Of course I could try to remember what the default mode is and then try to make sure I select from memory the correct number of times I have to press the button for each, but then why have all of the cockpit if I just need to wing it. (pun intended)

Assuming we're talking about the Su-27, Su-33 and MiG-29, the thing about salvo mode is that it's an all or nothing affair. It' not there to allow you to select different salvo sizes. Rather it's something of a "cheat" that's there to let you release all of the same type weapon at the same time. It used to be set up to work with A2A missiles as well, IIRC. Unlike the Su-25 and Su-25T, the Su-27, -33 and MiG-29 have, to the best of my knowledge, never simulated a functioning WCS panel (with or without animation).

It's nothing that I've used recently, though. Are you saying that you can now select different salvo sizes with it?

There used to be a HUD indication that you were in the "salvo mode" setting at one point. I think I noticed that it's gone now, though.

Edited by Ironhand
Clarity

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Assuming we're talking about the Su-27, Su-33 and MiG-29, the thing about salvo mode is that it's an all or nothing affair. It' not there to allow you to select different salvo sizes. Rather it's something of a "cheat" that's there to let you release all of the same type weapon at the same time. It used to be set up to work with A2A missiles as well, IIRC. Unlike the Su-25 and Su-25T, the Su-27, -33 and MiG-29 have, to the best of my knowledge, never simulated a functioning WCS panel (with or without animation).

It's nothing that I've used recently, though. Are you saying that you can now select different salvo sizes with it?

There used to be a HUD indication that you were in the "salvo mode" setting at one point. I think I noticed that it's gone now, though.

Gone, at least in the -27 and -33. The last time I did any air to mud the salvo selector didn't appear to do anything in the 27, though admittedly that was a couple of versions ago now. I'd be happy if the system was simply set to dropping matched pairs for the Su-27, unless of course there's supposed to be a salvo selector that functions like the one in the Su-25. I can see the benefit to having a more detailed system for the Su-33 which will hopefully come with the PFM.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Gone, at least in the -27 and -33. The last time I did any air to mud the salvo selector didn't appear to do anything in the 27, though admittedly that was a couple of versions ago now. I'd be happy if the system was simply set to dropping matched pairs for the Su-27, unless of course there's supposed to be a salvo selector that functions like the one in the Su-25. I can see the benefit to having a more detailed system for the Su-33 which will hopefully come with the PFM.

I meant to check this last night but forgot. I know that, as of several months ago, salvo mode was working. This is not to be confused with the salvo selector as used in the Su-25 and -25T. The Su-27, -33, and MiG-29 have never had the ability to select discrete salvo sizes. In the past, it's always been "default" or "all".

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I meant to check this last night but forgot. I know that, as of several months ago, salvo mode was working. This is not to be confused with the salvo selector as used in the Su-25 and -25T. The Su-27, -33, and MiG-29 have never had the ability to select discrete salvo sizes. In the past, it's always been "default" or "all".

Checked this morning. Salvo mode continues to work like it always has since it was added (however many years that's been). The difference is that we've lost the HUD indication at some point. And I don't see any indication of mpde entry anywhere else. It is not a salvo size selector in the Su-25 (-25T) sense. It simply allows you to pickle all like munitions or launch all like missiles with a single press of the space key. Attached are two tracks using "Salvo Mode". One is A2G. The other A2A.

EDIT: Darkfire, looking at the panel, the only selector I see reads "один" (single or, perhaps, one pair) "часть" (partial, part, etc) and "серия 0.1, 0.2, 0.4" (series 0.1, 0.2, 0.4) This latter may automatically select all same-type weapons as well as setting the release interval. I haven't spotted a separate dial for quantity like on the Su-25 series WCS panel. This makes me wonder if the single dial is set up as "single", "pairs" (but then why not use something like "пар" instead of "часть"?), and "all" in series.

Salvo Mode-A2A.trk

Salvo Mode-A2G.trk

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Checked this morning. Salvo mode continues to work like it always has since it was added (however many years that's been). The difference is that we've lost the HUD indication at some point. And I don't see any indication of mpde entry anywhere else. It is not a salvo size selector in the Su-25 (-25T) sense. It simply allows you to pickle all like munitions or launch all like missiles with a single press of the space key. Attached are two tracks using "Salvo Mode". One is A2G. The other A2A.

EDIT: Darkfire, looking at the panel, the only selector I see reads "один" (single or, perhaps, one pair) "часть" (partial, part, etc) and "серия 0.1, 0.2, 0.4" (series 0.1, 0.2, 0.4) This latter may automatically select all same-type weapons as well as setting the release interval. I haven't spotted a separate dial for quantity like on the Su-25 series WCS panel. This makes me wonder if the single dial is set up as "single", "pairs" (but then why not use something like "пар" instead of "часть"?), and "all" in series.

Yes, that probably means we have options for 1) release of matched pairs, 2) release of all similar weapons simultaneously and 3) release all but with the set release interval. I guess tactically this would make sense: release in matched pairs to avoid asymmetric trim, release all for a one-and-done type attack, or finally release all for a one-and-done but with a release interval to attack an area target e.g. a road convoy.

Yes, that probably means we have options for 1) release of matched pairs, 2) release of all similar weapons simultaneously and 3) release all but with the set release interval. I guess tactically this would make sense: release in matched pairs to avoid asymmetric trim, release all for a one-and-done type attack, or finally release all for a one-and-done but with a release interval to attack an area target e.g. a road convoy.

:) Unfortunately, that last doesn't seem to be modeled. What we seem to have in the sim is the first two.

_____

• 3 years later...