Open Source Joystick FFB / DIY FFB Joystick - Page 21 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #201
VR FlightSim

Reputation power: 0
VR FlightSim is on a distinguished road

@ MetalGear Honk

The motor shield is Due compatible. Have a look at the diagram pic I posted and imagine you move the shield straight down on top of Due. Mounting holes and pin layout is identical.

Regarding the "cross" gimball STL you were asking for..
I don't think it's worth the effort to struggle with 3D printed version as it is very delicate and precise mechanism requiring some level of rigidity and since you have workshop available I would suggest to go for metal solution right away.
I can draw a 3D model, verify it's functionality and share it here if that helps..

Jay
VR FlightSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #202
crow0827

Reputation power: 2
crow0827 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, your advise is very useful!
Because I want to implement A/T disconnect with simple mechanism, I thought that servo output info(rotate speed, position) is good.
How do you think about A/T disconnect?

from A1-F18AC-NFM-000
"If a force of approximately 12 pounds (with friction off) is applied to either throttle the system automatically disengages."

BTW, Should I create a new thread…?
I want to add simplified function for OSFFB Option.
crow0827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #203
VR FlightSim

VR FlightSim is on a distinguished road

well you don't have to disconnect A/T mechanically.
The slip clutch in the video provides natural friction on the levers when the motors are not active and as soon as you engage A/T and let go of them, they will follow the A/T.
In conclusion I would suggest to program "disconnect" function into firmware that looks after servo circuit (dc motor - hall sensor/pot)
Something like [when pot reading and motor position differ for more than ? sec = A/P disengage]

Jay
VR FlightSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #204
CrossWiseRanger

Reputation power: 2
CrossWiseRanger is on a distinguished road
Default What do you want FFB to do?

Have looked at the possibilities of force feedback for a flight stick several times. The original idea was a stepper motor for each axis. Would be simple to implement. There are two primary drawbacks. 1. The amount of force applied in the leverage of the stick exceeds what the stepper motor can handle. 2. The step size was too large for accurate control.

The last few days have been trying to understand the trim system on the A-10C. There are approximately 20 increments for nose down and 40 for nose up. One of the main concerns I have with the trim system is that it requires two simultaneous actions. Activation of the trim and then an unrealistic repositioning of the stick to offset the trim input.

Once I could observe what the trim was doing and then remembering my private pilot days it occurred to me that I have been looking at FFB from a wrong perspective.

So I'm going to ask a somewhat silly question. What are you trying to achieve with a FFB joy stick?

My concept is to feel the loading of the elevator and aileron in reference to the set trim position. That would allow for trimming of the aircraft by feel.

Your thoughts please.
i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero, G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3400MHZ, Samsung 960 EVO 256GB SSD, ASUS GeForce STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 1835 MHz, Asus PG248Q 144 Hz, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus CV1.
CrossWiseRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:38 AM   #205
Deadman
Veteran

Reputation power: 56
Deadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to behold

You pretty much summed it up for me a bit of gun feel would be welcome as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:33 AM   #206
Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Wow, I hadn't checked this thread for a month or two thinking it had all gone quiet but POW, it's just exploded!!! Great to see

I made a brief mention in this thread, adding my voice as support back in June when I thought things were stalling out but am delighted to see this project picking up steam again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossWiseRanger View Post
So I'm going to ask a somewhat silly question. What are you trying to achieve with a FFB joy stick?

My concept is to feel the loading of the elevator and aileron in reference to the set trim position. That would allow for trimming of the aircraft by feel.
That is pretty much exactly what I am after CrossWise. For my part I am working on designing a sim-pit to replicate a glider and accordingly was designing a joystick (control-stick) to use in the sim-pit but hit a road block when it came to designing the re-centering springs. It is actually surprisingly difficult to design a good centering mechanism, at least it is for a bloke like me . That is when I happened upon this thread and have been following its progress with great enthusiasm ever since. In particular what I am most hoping to achieve from this project is the ability to set a trim point that is off-center of the joysticks center. That is, if the trim is set nose down, have the stick 'return' to a point a little forward of center and if trimmed nose up have it 'return' aft of centre. This would also be most welcomed when flying helicopters that use a 'force-trim' (such as in the DCS Huey). The current system of re-mapping what the center of the joystick represents (rather than changing where the stick returns to) is cumbersome to say the least. As it is I have actually resorted to removing the spring entirely from my X56 HOTAS when flying the Huey as I find the simulated force-trim so disagreeable. While removing the spring works fine for flying it means you can never let go of the stick while in motion as once you do the stick just flops over leading to an inevitable crash. Most annoying!

Additional 'effects' such as velocity dependent force (ie. sloppy controls at stall point) and 'canned effects' such as machine gun fire and landing gear jolts etc. are added benefits, but it really is the trim that I hunger for. That and a way to re-centre my homemade joystick without resorting to springs
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #207
Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGear_Honk View Post
...is someone else familiar with c programming and willed to help sort out the bugs?

MetalGear_Honk
Oow, oow. Pick me, pick me
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #208
Deadman
Veteran

Reputation power: 56
Deadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to beholdDeadman is a splendid one to behold

well I have the grip stick gimbels transfer rods and DC torque mothers along with H bridge controllers. as long as we don't fry it I am willing