Upgraded CPU, now modules won't activate

The short version:

I upgraded my i5 6600K to an i7 7700, and DCS wants me to activate the modules again because of hardware changes.

This is expected, this is fine.

What's NOT fine is that when I go through the activation process, I click "OK" at the end, and the activation application hangs for ~30 seconds and silently dumps to desktop with no error. When I run DCS again, it asks me (again) to activate the modules I just manually ran the activation for.

Is my only option to do a clean Windows reinstall to get out of this endless loop of unhelpfulness?

I'm on my last activation on several modules, so I'd like to avoid this in case I need to wait for 30 days to get to fly some modules.

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also try activation without starting dcs in the relevant module folders under /bin.

I already tried that, but I'll try the registry fixes, then do another round of "manual" activations.

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks ApoNOOB, that fixed it! I had to manually remove the NS430 key as there was no reg-file for that one, but it was an easy job.

Edited by SnorreSelmer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you are running this as admin ?

I NEVER run anything as admin unless it ABSOLUTELY requires it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

if you upgraded your hardware without deactivating your modules you will need to delete the registry using the keys here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/564/

then reactivate

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I NEVER run anything as admin unless it ABSOLUTELY requires it.

a bit off topic:

When you are running Windows there is hardly any way around running the whole box as an administrative user if you want all your apps and games to work. Right clicking "run as admin"

does not mean your account is not administrative. If it was, you could not choose that option or something went completely wrong, ALL THE WAY !

Even in a domain environment users often run as local administrative accounts, only their doamin wide rights are limited to "standard" users, or "power" users.

One of the biggest security issues in Microsoft OS's. They have UAC and other measures deployed with mixed success and results to secure that hole again. An epic strategic failure imho.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X