DCS: F-16CM Block 50 by EDSA Discussion Thread

NineLine

a few questions to the SMEs here:

I am not a Subject Matter Expert but will try to help;

Does the CJ Viper employ a brake chute?

You have to be a bit more specific. What country, what year, what block are you inquiring about?

If yes, is it installed in the spine at the bottom of the tail fin?

Yes, on the F-16 that do carry drag chutes for landing, it is typically mounted at the base of the vertical stabilizer.

Is any other equipment unloaded then (ECM jammer?).

Depends which version and year. Some had the chute removed to accommodate equipment, some removed equipment to accommodate the chute. Others moved the equipment around to have both.

How long would be the needed runway length for a clean landing configuration with lets say 3000 lbs fuel approx?

Which versions? what is the aircraft weight? weapons configuration? weather conditions? etc.

Given the similaritys in the engines, does the Viper like the Cat with Zone 5 AB also need around 900lbs/min fuel?

There is no "zone 5", at least I never heard anyone call it that. I heard min AB or max AB. Fuel flow is not set in stone, depend in altitude speed, weather, specific engine, etc.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

For anyone who wants to learn the cockpit layout of the F16, I recommend this CD of images:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F16-VIPER-COCKPIT-instrument-panel-CDkit/113695888013?hash=item1a78cd928d:g:768AAOSwYbdcVKAl

I bought one from the seller and he's a really good seller. The collection includes all of the side panels in addition to the front ones for the various versions of the plane. He has CD's for other planes as well.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.498510340b7d09423e35a433aa72d743.jpg

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

For anyone who wants to learn the cockpit layout of the F16, I recommend this CD of images:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F16-VIPER-COCKPIT-instrument-panel-CDkit/113695888013?hash=item1a78cd928d:g:768AAOSwYbdcVKAl

I bought one from the seller and he's a really good seller. The collection includes all of the side panels in addition to the front ones for the various versions of the plane. He has CD's for other planes as well.

Its probably good but I really don't think its necessary if you just really want to learn it as a head start. We can always visit "the other sim which cant be named" here. Its been quite long since the last time I played it and I think I still remember how to do rampstart on it.

Cheers

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Keep in mind, from the image you provided, the A, C and D model do not seem accurate.

You could use this

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/aircraft/F16-Cockpit/F16_swf.html

Is from a block 40, not a 50 that we are getting, but this block 40 had gone CCIP upgrade (indicated by the digital HSI) so besides the HUD it should be very close to the USAF block 50 circa 2007.

To whom it may concern,

To sum up, USAF F-16C block 40 to 52 where updated so all their avionics and capabilities match. So block 40/42 could do SEAD/DEAD mission and Block 50/52 could do strike missions.

F-16 CCIP

The Common Configuration Implementation Program (CCIP) upgrades began in June 1998. This involved upgrading 650 US Air Force Block 40/42/50/52 aircraft to a common specification. CCIP Phase 1 included installation of a new modular mission computer (the Raytheon MMC7000) and colour multi-function-displays on 107 older Block 50/52 aircraft. CCIP Phase 1A was similar, but included a AN/APX-113 'bird slicer' interrogator/transponder, giving autonomous beyond visual range capability and integration of the AN/AAQ-33 Sniper imaging/targeting pod. About 250 Block 50/52 aircraft were upgraded from October 2002 onwards. CCIP Phase 2, delivered from July 2003, added Link 16 multi-function information distribution system (MIDS) datalink, JHMCS and electronic HSI. CCIP Phase 3 upgrades 397 Block 40/42 aircraft to Phase 1, 1A and 2 mods. CCIP modified aircraft are designated F-16CM and F-16DM and - from M4.2 on - can use the same Modular Mission Computer Software tapes. In 2009, all Block 50/52 aircraft and approx. 80% of the Block 40/42 aircraft were loaded with OFP 4.3 software. The remaining Block 40/42 aircraft will be fitted with CCIP and M4.3 by mid 2010. The 500th CCIP modified aircraft, an F-16C-50, was rolled out 26 March 2010. From 2001 to 2006, the Ogden Air Logistics Center at Hill Air Force Base modified and delivered 254 Block 50/52 aircraft operated by the US Air Force. The modifications took place in three phases and, as a result, 100 aircraft were modified twice during this time frame. In 2005, Ogden also began modifying the Block 40/42 fleet. All Block 40/42 aircraft received CCIP modifications in one shop visit. While a Block 40/42 aircraft was undergoing the CCIP modification, the Falcon STAR (Structural Augmentation Roadmap) modification was also completed.

https://wiki.scramble.nl/index.php/Lockheed_Martin_F-16_Fighting_Falcon#F-16_CCIP

But this are ongoing updates, so aircraft are continuously updated. This is different from tape or Operational Flight Program updates.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

We probably wont get that since that is the AAQ-13/14, I do not think the USAF block 50 was ever able to carry those. Hopefully we get the both the LITENING and Sniper pods

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3799781&postcount=183

Here it tell us they will try for the SNIPER pod on the final version or the module.

To whom it may concern,

We probably wont get that since that is the AAQ-13/14, I do not think the USAF block 50 was ever able to carry those. Hopefully we get the both the LITENING and Sniper pods

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3799781&postcount=183

Here it tell us they will try for the SNIPER pod on the final version or the module.

Yes it's more a Block 40/42 thing , my favourite Block of all.

For discussions of what ED is doing, its best to stick with what they are modelling, all other variants, exports, etc don't matter.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3807366&postcount=60

To whom it may concern,

If the Litening pod is included, I would not consider it a "stopgap" since the USAF block 50 did use them circa 2007 AFAIK. It was a matter of what pod was available.

To whom it may concern,

Back in 1983, while stationed at Torrejon AB Spain, this was the F-16 I was crew chief on, had 18.5 hours on it when I recovered it. It smelled like a brand new car. We had converted from F4D's to F-16's. Block 15Q, 83-1066, it now sits in the desert in Tucson Arizona.

1066.jpg.aac4ea02a07ff3498fc0f546ae28db03.jpg

Well, we can hope, although hope is the first step on the path to disappointment :D

Now where did I put that massive tub of liquid patience to slather myself with....

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I come from Falcon 4.0 and BMS. Since my favourite childhood movie Iron Eagle I'm in Love with this aircraft. The F-16 ist the best Multirole Fighter in the world up to this day. And still unbeaten in maneuverability. The only Jets capaple of challenging the F-16 in dogfights that i know of, are the Eurofighter, F-22 due to its maneuverability tests and one of the Russian fighters i dont remember its name yet. I think SU 27.

Fun-Fact #1: F-16 and F-18 are siblings.

A lil fact info about how F-16 (YF-16) and F-18 (YF-17) came to life:

... Five companies responded, and in 1972, the Air Staff selected General Dynamics' Model 401 and Northrop's P-600 for the follow-on prototype development and testing phase. GD and Northrop were awarded contracts worth $37.9 million and $39.8 million to produce the YF-16 and YF-17, respectively, with first flights of both prototypes planned for early 1974. To overcome resistance in the Air Force hierarchy, the Fighter Mafia and other LWF proponents successfully advocated the idea of complementary fighters in a high-cost/low-cost force mix. The "high/low mix" would allow the USAF to be able to afford sufficient fighters for its overall fighter force structure requirements. The mix gained broad acceptance by the time of the prototypes' flyoff, defining the relationship of the LWF and the F-15.

The YF-16 was developed by a team of General Dynamics engineers led by Robert H. Widmer. The first YF-16 was rolled out on 13 December 1973. Its 90-minute maiden flight was made at the Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC) at Edwards AFB, California, on 2 February 1974. Its actual first flight occurred accidentally during a high-speed taxi test on 20 January 1974. While gathering speed, a roll-control oscillation caused a fin of the port-side wingtip-mounted missile and then the starboard stabilator to scrape the ground, and the aircraft then began to veer off the runway. The test pilot, Phil Oestricher, decided to lift off to avoid a potential crash, safely landing six minutes later. The slight damage was quickly repaired and the official first flight occurred on time. The YF-16's first supersonic flight was accomplished on 5 February 1974, and the second YF-16 prototype first flew on 9 May 1974. This was followed by the first flights of Northrop's YF-17 prototypes on 9 June and 21 August 1974, respectively. During the flyoff, the YF-16s completed 330 sorties for a total of 417 flight hours; the YF-17s flew 288 sorties, covering 345 hours.

-wikipedia.org

YF-16_and_YF-17_in_flight_2.jpg

Fun-Fact #2: The F-16 has no Ailerons. :joystick:

Where the maneuverability comes from:

The F-16 has a cropped-delta wing incorporating wing-fuselage blending and forebody vortex-control strakes; a fixed-geometry, underslung air intake (with splitter plate) to the single turbofan jet engine; a conventional tri-plane empennage arrangement with all-moving horizontal "stabilator" tailplanes; a pair of ventral fins beneath the fuselage aft of the wing's trailing edge; and a tricycle landing gear configuration with the aft-retracting, steerable nose gear deploying a short distance behind the inlet lip. There is a boom-style aerial refueling receptacle located behind the single-piece "bubble" canopy of the cockpit. Split-flap speedbrakes are located at the aft end of the wing-body fairing, and a tailhook is mounted underneath the fuselage. A fairing beneath the rudder often houses ECM equipment or a drag chute. Later F-16 models feature a long dorsal fairing along the fuselage's "spine", housing additional equipment or fuel.

Aerodynamic studies in the 1960s demonstrated that the "vortex lift" phenomenon could be harnessed by highly swept wing configurations to reach higher angles of attack, using leading edge vortex flow off a slender lifting surface. As the F-16 was being optimized for high combat agility, GD's designers chose a slender cropped-delta wing with a leading edge sweep of 40° and a straight trailing edge. To improve maneuverability, a variable-camber wing with a NACA 64A-204 airfoil was selected; the camber is adjusted by leading-edge and trailing edge flaperons linked to a digital flight control system (FCS) regulating the flight envelope. The F-16 has a moderate wing loading, reduced by fuselage lift. The vortex lift effect is increased by leading edge extensions, known as strakes. Strakes act as additional short-span, triangular wings running from the wing root (the juncture with the fuselage) to a point further forward on the fuselage. Blended into the fuselage and along the wing root, the strake generates a high-speed vortex that remains attached to the top of the wing as the angle of attack increases, generating additional lift and allowing greater angles of attack without stalling. Strakes allow a smaller, lower-aspect-ratio wing, which increases roll rates and directional stability while decreasing weight. Deeper wingroots also increase structural strength and internal fuel volume.

File:F16_SCANG_InFlight.jpg

For more Detail information please visit WIKIPEDIA

I hope i was able to share some information for all the interested pilots out there.

Looking forward to this module.

kind regards, MKev

Additions: Some great videos regarding F-16

Wonderful F-16 Display by "Gizmo":

F-16 kicking the ass of its replacement F-35:

U8xzLxFIjno

Incredible Video from USMT about the F-16

Nice Video about the F-16 in OP:Red Flag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

I really wish people would shut up about that F-16 vs F-35 "dogfight".

It's been the single biggest anti F-35 talking point and the most dishonest yet.

There is a video somewhere on the web where the pilots who made the test flights and dogfight tests get interviewed and both said that the F-35 is still in development and has potential. but its not on the level yet. thats why it is still undergoing several tests to move it to its full potential and capabilities.

Edited by MKev

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino

Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS

Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...

MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"

Mate remove the F16 v F-35 it's pure BS. At that time the F-35 was limited to 3g's!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir