Force Feedback

dresoccer4

hi all -

just got this pretty bird up in the air, super stoked about the new flight mode, but BOOM i immediately get him with a limp noodle of a joystick :cry:

so, hoping for good news eventually, though i'm scared to ask...are we getting force feedback? even if its just a basic one that makes my joystick center itself and not limp home?

:joystick:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 1 month later...

Has this been implemented yet? (Sorry, I haven't been following the C-101 updates)

I'm learning to fly with the help of a pilot friend and he advised me to practice TACAN instrument landings at Nellis. I've understood that this would be the aircraft to get, especially to practice in an analogue pit, for this purpose. Unfortunately, without FFB support, I just won't be able to fly it with my setup.

I had a different trainer that I was hoping to eventually be able to use to practice this kind of thing with, however that developer told me they had no intention of supporting force feedback "ever", not even willing to implement a spring effect (which is all the Hornet currently has). Unfortunately I didn't realize it would be unflyable without any kind of FFB support until after I bought.

Hrm. I can't figure it out. I read through the original thread, but nothing I try seems to have any effect.

I launch it after I load a mission in DCS and have the MSFFB2 selected and nothing seems to happen, the settings don't do anything and the stick feels exactly the same. I alt-tab and select Init DirectInput and still nothing. I've tested it on a few aircraft and thought that if I tested it on the Mustang on the ground where the stick is limp, when simFFB overrides the FFB the stick should have a spring effect, but nothing happens. I assume the number beside the joystick menu in simFFB is the usb device? I've tried them all at any rate.

First open the game, and fly a mission. Then, open the simFFB tool.

It doesn't work if you have it already opened and then go into the game and fly a mission. In that case, you need to close it and open it again.

I don't think that number matters.

When you open simFFB at any time, is the FFB force activated? It should.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

That is what I thought should happen. No, if I open simFFB by itself, nothing else running, nothing happens, stick is limp. If I run a DCS mission first, then open it, still nothing changes. The default DCS FFB still runs, so the stick is limp with the Mustang on the ground in a cold start.

I've tried running it as administrator as well. I haven't come across anyone else with this issue, so I'm at a loss. Honestly, if I can get simFFB to work I think I'd be willing to buy the C-101 and fly with it until you get around to implementing FFB.

I assume the number beside the joystick menu in simFFB is the usb device?

No, the number is the button to use for stick trim i.e. to recenter the stick force.

The trim button didn't seem to work in win 10 until I changed the legacy default, YMMV

attachment.php?attachmentid=204694&stc=1&d=1550460420

Detected USB devices are listed in the drop down, you select the device with the trim button you wish to use, from that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=204692&stc=1&d=1550457333

The main thing - simFFB.exe *should* be run AFTER entering the cockpit, so it can override DCS.

If you run simFFB.exe before entering the cockpit, DCS will initialise any FFB devices and take control of them.

If that happens, you can alt tab to simFFB.exe and use "Options>Init DirectInput" to reinitialise FFB control, so simFFB.exe can again provide FFB.

... if I open simFFB by itself, nothing else running, nothing happens, stick is limp.

You should be able to run simFFB.exe without DCS to check that it/your FFB stick are working together i.e. adjust Swap Axis, spring force, etc.

If you can't get it working as a stand-alone app. it's unlikely to work when minimised to the taskbar i.e. behind DCS

Note: Some older versions of simFFB.exe no longer work, which is why I linked to Jazzerman's version

Tested in the UH-1H and Open Beta 2.5.4.27430, MSFFB2, Win 10

SimFFB_selection.JPG.0ccde1eebcd36f167797a16adcf74532.JPG

2050633270_MSFFBWin10.JPG.7d3592a572db1ffd412e71d44b635e7a.JPG

Edited by Ramsay
Drop down list is for the device with the trim button you want to use

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks for the input Ramsay. At your suggestion I changed the preferred device for older programs to the MSFFB2, then tried to run simFFB without DCS to see if anything happens, but still nothing (also with administrative permissions). No FFB on the stick at all.

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. I tried simFFB awhile ago with the other trainer I mentioned and at that time was running Win 7 Pro, but I also had no luck with it working then either and gave up. I only just recently completely rebuilt my computer and installed Windows 10, about 2 weeks ago.

I'm testing everything I can think of including disconnecting other USB devices, shutting down background process, etc., still no luck.

Edited by Razi

This is too obvious but, did you try another USB port? Or old type of USB?

Thanks guys, I got it to work! I actually didn't think to try a different port because FFB works great on all the modules that have it implemented. It ended up being my usb hub that seemed to be the issue. Though for my setup it is inconvienient to move the stick from the hub to a usb port on the motherboard, it did start to work.

I tested it out and got simFFB working in DCS since and so I went ahead and bought the C-101! Excited to use it to learn flying fundamentals. I look forward to the full implementation of FFB, especially for the trim.