DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

Yes.

Rather than tossing the baby out with the bathwater, if you have a reasonable, intelligent and constructive question, ask it and if we are unable to provide an immediate answer we'll see if we can get one of the Devs to answer in due course.

One thing is however a dead-cert: Rage and you will be subject to, where necessary, the appropriate administrative sanction, even more so now that all have been formally warned by a member of the moderation staff. Raging and deliberately and willfully ignoring helps nobody, least of all the individual concerned.

Mature, constructive and intelligent discourse goes a far way. Pity it's so difficult to maintain seated behind a QWERTY. Let us all however try why don't we.

Ok fair enough ! Let me be the one to ask the first question. Can we expect something similar to the 3go flanker model soon if not some higher textures on the skins that are provided with FC3?

Flanker, Flanker 2.0, Flanker 2.5, Lockon, FC1, FC2,FC3, BS1, BS2, A10C, CA and World

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Post them here.

While they are guaranteed to be looked at, there is no guarantee that they will all be answered, either satisfactorily or at all. However, as they say, rather in than out :D

Oh yeah, keep it civil.

Ta

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

ED have already added improved models for the F/A-18C and the MiG-31. Many find it strange these have been improved over the flyable aircraft in FC3. Does ED plan to improve the flyable models in the final version of FC3?

Lost

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

ED have already added improved models for the F/A-18C and the MiG-31. Many find it strange these have been improved over the flyable aircraft in FC3. Does ED plan to improve the flyable models in the final version of FC3?

Lost

especially Su 27/30/33 and of course the F16s??

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Could someone provide a map illustrating the expanded portion of the Georgian theatre beyond what shipped in FC2?

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Left bottom. You should see a figure like:

X X

or

XX XX

Where the X's are numbers, there is no decimal so if you see '54' it means 5.4G. Right side, current G, left side, permitted max G under current flight conditions.

Where is the G indicator on the F15C HUD?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have never owned any Lock On series until last night so I am unaware of the flight dynamics programmed for any of the aircraft, however, it seems to me like the F-15C (the only plane I have studied and flew) has extremely simple game flight dynamics as compared to the A-10C. I have my settings set for simulation and was just wondering if I had a setting wrong or this is just the way it is. The Su-25T has a far more realistic flight model than the F-15C. Any insight would be appreciated.

Correct, the old LO aircraft have a simple flight model. It is adequate for simulating the aircraft's real flight parameters, but it will feel like on rails compared to the A-10C flight model. The Su-25 was added with FC, and it was the first aircraft to feature the advanced flight model (AFM). The AFM itself has gone through several iterations, and will not be retrofitted to the original stable of lock-on aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Left bottom. You should see a figure like:

X X

or

XX XX

Where the X's are numbers, there is no decimal so if you see '54' it means 5.4G. Right side, current G, left side, permitted max G under current flight conditions.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

I have never owned any Lock On series until last night so I am unaware of the flight dynamics programmed for any of the aircraft, however, it seems to me like the F-15C (the only plane I have studied and flew) has extremely simple game flight dynamics as compared to the A-10C. I have my settings set for simulation and was just wondering if I had a setting wrong or this is just the way it is. The Su-25T has a far more realistic flight model than the F-15C. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey Jake, yes you are correct.

The FC aircraft utilize what is called a SFM (Simplified Flight Model) it is defined by a few dozen parameters and a couple tables...what happens with this is that the aircraft utilizing a SFM pretty much all fly and feel the same.

The A-10C utilizes a much higher fidelity AFM where ED has built the flight model from the ground up and probably is using source CFD/Wind Tunnel/Analytical data of much much higher detail than the couple dozen parameters you define within an SFM. It is also probably using the flight control system control laws of the A-10C which really gives it that unique feeling.

The control laws for all the SFM aircraft are essentially the same from what I can tell. For example..do a pitch doublet (quick full throw of pitch surfaces full-up then full-down then back to center) if you watch the dynamic response of the aircraft between say the Su-33 and the F-15 you won't really see a big difference where in reality, their control laws would have dictated the desired response.

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

The FC aircraft utilize what is called a SFM (Simplified Flight Model) it is defined by a few dozen parameters and a couple tables...what happens with this is that the aircraft utilizing a SFM pretty much all fly and feel the same.

The A-10C utilizes a much higher fidelity AFM where ED has built the flight model from the ground up and probably is using source CFD/Wind Tunnel/Analytical data of much much higher detail than the couple dozen parameters you define within an SFM. It is also probably using the flight control system control laws of the A-10C which really gives it that unique feeling.

The control laws for all the SFM aircraft are essentially the same from what I can tell. For example..do a pitch doublet (quick full throw of pitch surfaces full-up then full-down then back to center) if you watch the dynamic response of the aircraft between say the Su-33 and the F-15 you won't really see a big difference where in reality, their control laws would have dictated the desired response.

Are there any plans from ED to update at least a few of these SFMs?

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to here this.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Posts merged

Are there any plans from ED to update at least a few of these SFMs?

I really have no idea, but I don't think that is that plan to increase the fidelity of the flight models.

Maybe a year or so from now when we've solved more of the issues we are seeing with the EFM API, I would love to start working on one, but right now the API is too broken/undocumented/early stages for someone outside of ED to develop, we'll see how things go later :)

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to here this.

To be fair to ED, they explained pretty thoroughly what you were going to get in the level of fidelity of the flight models well ahead of time. However, being that you had never flown previous lock on sims you would have no idea what level of fidelity a lock on aircraft would "feel like". I can understand how you would think, having only owned DCS stuff, that it would feel at a minimum as good as the SU-25T flight model since you had no other baseline to go off of.

Edited by CptSmiley

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

What are EFM and API?

I'm very sorry, I'm not in the How To thread anymore!

I sometimes mix EFM(External Flight Model)/AFM (Advanced Flight Model) since I'm not sure what the differences are...but the EFM is the API that we can use to code up C++ flight models from the ground up and defining the basic forces and moments, it is called "External Flight Model" since you code it up and it compiles as an external DLL that the sim interfaces with. API is application programming interface, meaning that they, so far, have thrown in a dozen or so function that I can interface with to accomplish this.

Does that help? Sorry for the flurry of acronyms!

― Carl Sagan

External Flight Model and Application Programming Interface.

EFM is a term coined by users on the forum, API is a programming standard.

It is referring to the DCSW's ability to plug in external FM engines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They do feel the same, but they don't fly the same. These aircraft are tuned to present their RL performance within the limitations of the SFM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're not missing anything, those assignments do not exist for FC3.

Am I missing something, or is there no axis assignment for left and right toe brakes in the FC3 Controls?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They do feel the same, but they don't fly the same. These aircraft are tuned to present their RL performance within the limitations of the SFM.

Oh absolutely, they have different aerodynamic properties defined in their respective SFM tables so yes their will have different performance, but their short term control responses are extremely similar since there is really no way to manipulate that within the confines of the SFM.

― Carl Sagan