Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I can't find any reference to it in the thread. I have:

-DCS: Black Shark 1.0.2, purchased through Steam.

-FaceTrackNoIR 1.5.0

-The 32-bit ED API zip.

-A MacBook Pro running Windows 7 x86_64 (yes, 64-bit version of the OS).

I am able to start FaceTrackNoIR and get a good track (yellow outline of the eyes/mouth).

Problem #1: The directory structure of DCS: Black Shark, in the Steam common apps directory, does not match what the readme for the 32 bit ED API suggests -- my Black Shark files are installed in:

c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dcs black shark\

There is a bin subdirectory, but it has only other subdirectories in it, no files. The directory structure looks like

\bin

-\stable (no files in this dir)

-\x86 (no files in this dir)

--\stable (tons of DLLs here)

In desperation, I tried putting a copy of the headtracker folder from the 32bit_headtracker_ed zip in each of the subdirectories. No joy within Black Shark.

I've also tried using the 64bit_headtracker_ed files in the same way. No joy.

In both situations, the c:\FTNoIR_ED_HeadTrackerLog.txt file is not created.

Has anyone got this working with the Steam version of DCS: Black Shark? What's the magical incantation I need?

Edited by Alterscape
Added info re: FTNoIR_ED_HeadTrackerLog file.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this really really awkward and unnatural to use, but I think its because my laptop is facing me at an angle, so you don't look directly at it.

What is it like for you guys? Can you remove the roll? Thats one degree of freedom I do not want. :p

Edited by Zakatak

free face tracking

anyways, I've put the facetrack dll into DCS a10, but now it won't allow me to control my camera with my joystick, even with ftnoir closed and no webcam. is this how it's supposed to work? I'll have to remove the API if I want to use my controller to rotate view?

First a big thanks to V4Friend for the work you have done with this issue.

After following your instructions I eventually got this to work with a ps3 eyetoy.

Was wondering though,as it has to be well lit to work properly any idea if it would work if I put an IR filter over the lens to block out natural light and made a little clip out of old TV remote's would it still track or is that a whole different ball game?Hoping I would be able to use at night or low light:huh:

Anyway getting the same issue as fael097,not that its a big problem,oh,and when I quit the game it wont let me go back into options it just hangs.Any help would be appreciated and thanks again for your hard graft and everybody's input.:thumbup:

:doh:Forgive the lad,obviously if I blocked out visible light ......face-tracking....:doh:

:music_whistling:

Edited by 3instein
stupidity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

I found this really really awkward and unnatural to use, but I think its because my laptop is facing me at an angle, so you don't look directly at it.

What is it like for you guys? Can you remove the roll? Thats one degree of freedom I do not want. :p

Yes you can remove an axis detection, personally I still find it too sensitive which I am hoping to iron out with the settings. Also I would like to be able to use a HOTAS button to enable/disable the head tracking.

Overall though its pretty damn good.

First a big thanks to V4Friend for the work you have done with this issue.

After following your instructions I eventually got this to work with a ps3 eyetoy.

Was wondering though,as it has to be well lit to work properly any idea if it would work if I put an IR filter over the lens to block out natural light and made a little clip out of old TV remote's would it still track or is that a whole different ball game?Hoping I would be able to use at night or low light:huh:

Anyway getting the same issue as fael097,not that its a big problem,oh,and when I quit the game it wont let me go back into options it just hangs.Any help would be appreciated and thanks again for your hard graft and everybody's input.:thumbup:

:doh:Forgive the lad,obviously if I blocked out visible light ......face-tracking....:doh:

:music_whistling:

you don't need any kind of filters. as you stated, you obviously can't block visible light :P

but about too much light, it doesn't matter, as long as the camera can see your face, and about too little light, some cameras get slow fps from dark rooms, so that deppends on your camera.

my ps3 eyecam works really good without ANY lights besides my monitor's.

so it works pretty much in any light conditions, as long as you get good fps.

ps.: too bad I didn't get the answer to my question :cry:

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Webcams

Cheers as allways guys,Yep this freetrack/noir stuff is a really good idea for folks like myself for one reason or another don't have a lot of spare cash,I managed to get it working with a ps3 eyetoy but wasn't to hot as the camera didn't seem to like the low light levels,currently on the hunt for a cheap webcam with those IR LED'S round the housing as I hope this will sort out my problem as well as getting freetrack working maybe with IR reflectors or LEDS.

Anyway looking good so far,thanks for all the info and ideas guys.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Hey guys, I recently picked up A-10C on the steam sale and it has been an awesome experience. After browsing the forums, I decided to try out FaceTrackNoIR. I got it to work too so im sure some of you will appreciate this little guide/info.

Here is the DL link for FaceTrackNoIR so you dont have to go back to the OP. :thumbup:

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/information_links/download.htm

For Steam users:

Download FaceTrackNoIR from the website if you haven't done so already. Also get the update and follow the included instructions to install. You can also download the EWMA fix if you need it.

Next, Download the Eagle Dynamics API interface DLL 64Bit if you have 64bit Windows. You want to extract this to the DCS A-10C bin folder that is in the steam folder. That will look something like this if you have Windows 7 64bit.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dcs a-10c warthog\bin

If you go back and look in the bin folder, you should see the Headtracker folder. Then you will want to copy the provided A-10C ini file to the FaceTrack folder that contains the default profiles that came with FaceTrack.

Hopefully that clears up installation for the guys using the Steam version. If you jump into A-10C and facetrack is not working (no camera control at all), you will need to also download the headtracking demo from seeingMachines. It is free and easy to register and DL the demo. It seems that the facetrack install can leave out some needed runtime libraries that the demo will then install for you.

http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/downloads/

Other Notes:

If you have a 64bit OS, Steam should have downloaded the 64bit version of A-10C.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope it helps. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I'm still new at this stuff, but I have had some success so far (and some failures). I'm still working on setting up a profile that I like, and so far I have found it to be too sensitive to my head movements. Some tweaking of the settings and curves should fix this.

I would also love to see some of the profiles that you guys have setup for FaceTrack.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, hotkeys work like a breeze...

I put Ctrl+Alt+X to Center tracking & Ctrl+Alt+Z to Start/Stop tracking (which re-centers the cockpit view anyway)...

I bound those key combinations to my Saitek X45 and now it's a dream to fly and turn your sight to the wing pylons while launching Mavericks... :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm it works!

Windows 7 64Bit

Logitech 300 webcam

I don't need ppjoy anymore!

@ V4Friend

check your six, donation inbound! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - MB: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080ti

Controllers: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

Head tracking: FaceTrackNOIR+FreeTrack 3 Points Cap

VR headset: VALVE Index

It would be great that those, who are happy with settings would post their curve & other settings, so that we could compare. I'm not satisfied with moving L/R Up/D Fw/Bk. This are translation curves (I think).

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Aries, thank you! I'll try it. +1

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

Fine curves you have Aries. I like them. I only changed EWMA & smoothing settings: ClipboardImage.jpg

Now testing more.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if one of you kind fellows might be able to help me out! I tried freetrack but as I am using Windows Vista 64-bit i don't think it will work!

I have set up facetracknoIR and it track my movements correctly. My problem is that I can't get it to work in game.

I am running Windows Vista 64 with the latest versions of Flaming Cliffs 2 and DCS Black Shark.

I have tried using TrackIRfixer and using the fake trackIR setting - but it doesn't seem to do anything - i set TrackIRfixer running and it searches for games - it finds Lock On or Black Shark when I start either up but doesn't say that it is doing anything. Am I doing something wrong? I have copied them to the correct bin/stable file! (I think....)

I have also tried to install 2 different versions of PPJoy and tried to get the unverified drivers to work by switching to test mode... still no luck! I get the error that Virtual joystick is not detected!

Could anyone please help as I am running out of options! :cry:

Thanks

Could anyone please help as I am running out of options! :cry:

Thanks

Re-read this thread and this one:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=75917

And of course, forget PPJOY...

Choose one of the headtracker .dll-s (samteeagle's or V4Friend's) and combine it with Freetrack or FacetrackNoIR...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Aries, a very quick question for you. How did you get your PS3 Eye camera upto 50Hz?

'Any new pilot is still dangerous. They know just enough to get themselves in trouble. After another five hundred hours of practical flying, learning how to use the aircraft, I'd say they were pretty safe. If you're still alive at a thousand hours, you must have it down pretty good.'

- Chickenhawk

Thanks Migo, much appreciated.

'Any new pilot is still dangerous. They know just enough to get themselves in trouble. After another five hundred hours of practical flying, learning how to use the aircraft, I'd say they were pretty safe. If you're still alive at a thousand hours, you must have it down pretty good.'

- Chickenhawk

Just wondering if anyone has the 64 bit headtracker dll working in BS? works great in A10 but just cant figure out BS.

thanks. EDIT: got facetrack runing in BS using PPjoy. Nowhere near as good as the headtracker.dll in ac10. Hope someone has some ideas for the 64bit version of BS and this dll. cheers

EDIT 2: ok, got it working with the trackfixir. The gotcha was that the new version of trackfixir wont work! it doesnt offer the ability to patch the input.dll like the old one. So get the old version, patch the dll then run facetrack using fakeTIR. Works great.

Sadly the headtracker.dll's simply dont work in bs.

Edited by spikenet