What else?

lazduc

And all THAT said... why are we arguing over this? It is not our call to make. And different software houses and game developers do things differently. Just because someone worked on a program doesn't mean they know how every developer handles their projects.

QFT.

It's not that big a deal, and 99% of people will go straight to the release version. It won't 'complicate' things THAT much, jeez. And as Mike notes, not every developer handles things the same way.

Frequent small patches is preferable to 'reinstalling' every three months. THAT is unreasonable, even if it does solve some minor logistics issues. These aren't businesses, they're individuals with limited download speeds and bandwidth.

The only game I've seen do it that way is a certain space scam that still cannot program a decent front end installer.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hey guys, thanks for this discussion. As one who knows squat about programming, just being involved with DCSW as it undergoes its development has given me some great insight for the complexity of what we "end users" often take for granted. Mainly I appreciate all the back and forth between those that do have some related experience in all this. It helps me understand a lot that used to be waaaay over my head. Was just commenting to the wife the other day about just how amazingly far this very small niche in the PC world has come from the days of the 90's when I first got into flight sims. Day and night! One other thing that has become all too obvious is the limited (very) number of studios that are even producing the type of stuff that we so enjoy. That limitation also extends to the hardware (sticks, throttles, etc) we need for that "immersion". Not trying to be a ED fan-boy, but if some of the impatient ones know of another place to turn for this type of offering/effort, I'm willing to go there and see what they have that's better. In my recent experience, there simply aren't any. Stay the course ED!!

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I think you're looking at this backwards. ED isn't supporting open alpha and open beta users, rather the open alpha and open beta users are supporting ED by providing pre-release input, suggestions and bug reports. It's either that or throw out release versions full of bugs and then we get frustrated and wonder why so many bugs exist and how they can call it a stable version.

QFT - Right on...

The major problem with the Alpha and where the most confusion is coming from is, that the content is marketed and sold in ED's shop next to all other modules. Yes maybe it is marked as alpha, but for new players it does not translate well. In my opinion, these modules should be in completely separated tab with proper labeling and explanation. If I would be new player coming to DCS, I would be confused as hell from all the branches DCS have now.

Other developers are marketing this practise as "Becoming Founder" which gives you early access to what in its all glory is unfinished alpha product. Players are much more used to this and generally know what it means.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

• ED Team

ED used to have products as beta and it did create confusion, all of the " beta " modules are now considered " early access ", which helps.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Perhaps they need a tickbox that you have to click saying "I understand that I am paying for an incomplete Alpha/Beta version that may be missing features etc." before the customer can proceed to the purchase page.

For new users, the lack of any refund option if they buy by mistake unlike Steam, is not so good imo.