FC3 Mig29 Roll Rate

jackmckay

When the MiG gets a AFM/PFM, i'm sure this will be fixed.

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

IRL, you should expect less than 60 degrees per second at high speed and low altitude, due to a weak set of aileron actuators. There's a chart in the manual, IIRC it gets down to 40 deg/s when supersonic.

It's currently too low in game, but that may be because the airplane will actually roll opposite to your inputs when you're going stupidly fast. The SFM code is far beyond obsolete at this point, just wait until we get the PFM for these issues to be fixed.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Apart from the fact that the eagle is still 9g rated under full load... Let alone a single centre line...

But the airframe staying together and things staying attached to it are two different thing.

But the airframe staying together and things staying attached to it are two different thing.

To my knowledge, stores don't fall off of aircraft when they are overstressed. The release mechanism and pylon can get damaged, preventing a safe jettison of the store, but it would take ungodly amounts of G to actually tear it off.

• ED Team
At high subsonic speed mig29 has a roll rate of 15-20 deg/s. ED please correct that.

Quote: "The Fulcrum’s maximum roll rate is 160° per second. At slow speed this decreases to around 20° per second".

Link: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/429073-Pilot-evaluates-MiG-29A-vs-F-16C-Forums

THis is not correct. I think, you mix high dynamic pressure loss of lateral controllability and high AoA loss. As the MiG-29 PFM is released it will have more detailed controllability charachteristics.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Does not - see attached graph.

That quote are words from US fighter pilot evaluating East German MiG-29A. But anyway, right now roll rate is five times less than should be according to your chart. Also, I noticed that issue when flying at 1k m ASL.

That quote are words from US fighter pilot evaluating East German MiG-29A. But anyway, right now roll rate is five times less than should be according to your chart. Also, I noticed that issue when flying at 1k m ASL.

As has been stated many times, this is an issue with the simple flight model code.

It will be fixed when we get the PFM sometime later this year.

That quote are words from US fighter pilot evaluating East German MiG-29A

The graph I posted above is from the Luftwaffe MiG-29G manual documenting the very same aircraft and it disproves the claim made in the quote - i.e. that roll rate drops to around 20°/s at slow speeds.

The graph I posted above is from the Luftwaffe MiG-29G manual documenting the very same aircraft and it disproves the claim made in the quote - i.e. that roll rate drops to around 20°/s at slow speeds.

Nobody considers Mach 0.5 "slow speeds" at 16k.

Carry out the loss rate down to an actual "slow speed", just above the MiG-29's stall- right around 145 knots (M 0.3), and it'll be at 20 degrees per second.

Nobody considers Mach 0.5 "slow speeds" at 16k. Carry out the loss rate down to an actual "slow speed", just above the MiG-29's stall- right around 145 knots (M 0.3), and it'll be at 20 degrees per second.

The quote again:

"The Fulcrum’s maximum roll rate is 160° per second. At slow speed this decreases to around 20° per second".

Considering that the maximum of 160°/s is achieved at 3200 feet, I assume that this is the altitude we are talking about in which case it drops to around 105°/s at M 0.4 according to the graph. The chart doesn't show velocity below M 0.4, but how slow would you have to go before it drops 20°/s at that altitude?.

You're making an assumption not based on facts in evidence, because he never stated an altitude- simply highest and lowest potential roll rates. And as evidenced by the chart provided, take the jet down to the point I mention, it- a point that actually qualifies as "slow speed" with regards to ACM (which is what the pilot will relate it to as a matter of context), it falls in line with the quote perfectly.

At very low speed (rather, high AoA) the roll response will happily drop down to near zero or slightly negative due to the effects of adverse yaw.

As demonstrated in the graph, roll rate will ALSO drop at high speed due to the limits of the hydraulic system and aileron actuators.

So chances are that the quote and chart are correct.

You're making an assumption not based on facts in evidence, because he never stated an altitude- simply highest and lowest potential roll rates.

He stated a a max roll rate, which is achieved at a particular altitude and then continued to say that it will drop to around 20 deg at slow speeds. If he meant it as you say - as overall highest and lowest regardless of altitude, then the wording is misleading.