Spitfire RAF Roundel Incorrect

DD_Fenrir

The current RAF roundels as shown on the development screenshots are incorrect; the texture artists have obviously referenced the restored MH434 which has long had poorly proportioned roundels and not had them corrected.

Whilst correct for the MH434 skin that it is assumed will be included with the module it represents the current modern restoration and a unique issue to that one aircraft, and as such would not be appropriate for any other historic or generic skins.

1. The red area on the overwing B type roundel is too large

2. The white areas on the C (underwing) & C.1 (fuselage) types are too thick

For correct proportions please refer to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

or

http://woodair.net/Aviation/roundels/RAF_Roundels.htm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's it.... :-) (I'm sure down the road, they'll be plenty of Skin/Mods along the way. And of course an official tweak).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Definitely agree on the upper wing roundels, the red bit is too large, it's really noticeable.

Also agree that the C & C-1 roundels are not standard proportions. However, looking around at period photos on the internet, there does seem to be a bit of variation. For example:

http://spitfiresite.com/uploaded_images/spitfireixz.jpg

The white on this fuselage roundel definitely looks a bit larger than the standard C-1 type. That said, even though there might be evidence for these roundel variations existing, personally I'd prefer to see the standard proportions for our DCS Spitfire :-)

Edited by Tomsk

I'm sure all the guy's that are experts in skins will address this after the Spitfire is released.

I'm hoping for some great skins coming from the community for this bird :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I have no input on whether or not the roundels are right, but I'd like to point out that "It's okay if it's wrong, the community can make their own skin" is not a reasonable response to a statement that something isn't historically accurate.

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I have no input on whether or not the roundels are right, but I'd like to point out that "It's okay if it's wrong, the community can make their own skin" is not a reasonable response to a statement that something isn't historically accurate.

Pip pip, chin up and all that! :v: The developers have already gone to the trouble of altering the elevators and adding the cockpit door, even at this late stage; thus, AFAIK, they have no problems with observing historical accuracy. Perhaps the reason that the developers haven't yet looked at the roundel's proportions is because they are fine-tuning more important aspects of the L.F Mk. IX for final release?

Pip pip, chin up and all that! :v: The developers have already gone to the trouble of altering the elevators and adding the cockpit door, even at this late stage; thus, AFAIK, they have no problems with observing historical accuracy. Perhaps the reason that the developers haven't yet looked at the roundel's proportions is because they are fine-tuning more important aspects of the L.F Mk. IX for final release?

Well said :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I'm certainly planning on doing a few when the template is made available :)

:thumbup:

Great, looking forward to seeing them rock.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 4 months later...
Definitely agree on the upper wing roundels, the red bit is too large, it's really noticeable.

Also agree that the C & C-1 roundels are not standard proportions. However, looking around at period photos on the internet, there does seem to be a bit of variation. For example:

http://spitfiresite.com/uploaded_images/spitfireixz.jpg

The white on this fuselage roundel definitely looks a bit larger than the standard C-1 type. That said, even though there might be evidence for these roundel variations existing, personally I'd prefer to see the standard proportions for our DCS Spitfire :-)

That photo is a distorted, and has over blown contrast making the white look bigger than it is in the original. Here are better photos of the same MkIX showing normal roundels. Note Aircrew who have no idea how / where to push a Spitfire. Nothing changes ;)

spitfi1tyxc.jpg

611-squadron-spitfire-ix-715192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

my new skin set is ready (with proper markings from WWII):

SpitMkIX_602_LOD_Clostermann_2.JPG

SpitMkIX_302_WXK_2.JPG

SpitMkIX_308_ZFR_1.jpg

SpitMkIX_306_UZK_2.jpg

More info here: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=361

Im ready to Normandy map in THIS Friday :D.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Excellent YoYo,thank you very much Sir.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Hi,

my new skin set is ready (with proper markings from WWII):

SpitMkIX_602_LOD_Clostermann_2.JPG

SpitMkIX_302_WXK_2.JPG

SpitMkIX_308_ZFR_1.jpg

SpitMkIX_306_UZK_2.jpg

More info here: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=361

Im ready to Normandy map in THIS Friday :D.

Amazing!

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit