Su-33 PFM

archer86

I cannot wait for both the PFMs for the 33 and the 29. From what Yo-Yo said, the 33's should be out first. Bring it on - and let's don't forget the updated carrier for some trapping fun.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wait for both the PFMs for the 33 and the 29. From what Yo-Yo said, the 33's should be out first. Bring it on - and let's don't forget the updated carrier for some trapping fun.

It'll be super fun in combat too. Don't forget this is not only the only Russian naval bird, but its the only one capable of aerial refueling. Its my most flown jet on OC by far (Viggen coming in second ;))

Its large missile capacity allows it to go through multiple engagements, with my longest mission involving 3 aerial refuelings and 4 kills with many assists. So to have this capability with a flight model that feels anything remotely like the Su-27's (amazing flight model), it'll probably be a contender for the best FC3 jet.

• Like 1

It'll be super fun in combat too. Don't forget this is not only the only Russian naval bird, but its the only one capable of aerial refueling. Its my most flown jet on OC by far (Viggen coming in second ;))

Its large missile capacity allows it to go through multiple engagements, with my longest mission involving 3 aerial refuelings and 4 kills with many assists. So to have this capability with a flight model that feels anything remotely like the Su-27's (amazing flight model), it'll probably be a contender for the best FC3 jet.

Agreed. The 27 is my "go to jet" by default, and cannot wait for the 33 to finally by up there as well. For me, ED's flight modeling is where it all comes together.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I hope I don't offend all these Su-27 fans here XD But I personally HATE the Su-27 for the simple fact that whenever I barely go nose down I just black out. Is this normal?

I know the F15 can definitely take more neg Gs than that

Does anyone know about the specific differences between the Su-27 and 33?

I can't help but wonder if the canards make the aircraft less stable, or if they compensate for a further aft CoL caused by the larger wing.

On Su33 the canards help with increasing lift surface size. Additionally, they help with stability and higher authority at slower speeds in the pitch plane.

Keep in mind that some Su27`s have canards as well, but those are for various other reasons, not the same as Su33 necessarily. If you want to grasp more about Su27 and it`s family of 30, 33, 35 and 37, with all sub-variants, I suggest watching this documentary:

Long, but worth it.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope I don't offend all these Su-27 fans here XD But I personally HATE the Su-27 for the simple fact that whenever I barely go nose down I just black out. Is this normal?

I know the F15 can definitely take more neg Gs than that

It's only normal if you have the fly-by-wire control/limiter (not sure about the correct name) turned off ("S" key). At least that's the only time I experience a blackout while flying.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Forward Canards Direct Airflow over Wing and Elevators at lower Speeds.

The Su-33 is more stable at lower speeds.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Forward Canards Direct Airflow over Wing and Elevators at lower Speeds.

The Su-33 is more stable at lower speeds.

Well that would explain why the FM isn't as simple as "just tweaking the 27 and adding a tailhook." Modeling how the air is disturbed by one part and its effects on another part... can't imagine how hard that is to accomplish without killing the end user's PC.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

^^What everyone said, also, with being carrier capable, it has a strengthened undercarriage, a larger wing area, weighs about 2 tonnes heavier than the baseline Su-27 (empty configuration), is slower than Su-27, but has two more weapon stations, has in-flight refuelling, a supposedly better optical targeting system, rated 8+g

You just have to learn how to fly her. If you want to go nose down in the Su27, trim down, that's all. No need to put forward pressure on the stick!

Edited by Kunz

You just have to learn how to fly her. If you want to go nose down in the Su27, trim down, that's all. No need to put forward pressure on the stick!

Or, better yet, roll upside down and pull. The flanker does not like negative G at all :P

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Ok guys, I dont have a lot of info, but I can tell you the Su-33 PFM is currently in progress. Sorry I cant give you more, but I would imagine we will here more soon.

Thx for the update SiThSpAwN - really appreciate it:thumbup:

Can the same be said for the Mig-29 A/G/S PFM's?

Cheers and best wishes from CGN

Pasquale

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

• 1 month later...
No info on the MiG-29 right now.

Me thinks there is a full-fidelity MiG-29 on the horizon:

unknown.png

The same intro also seemed to show a teaser for a full-fidelity F-16 module ;-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That doesn't mean anything.

But we got a new update from ED about the Su-33

News of Su-33 for DCS World

Currently in the Eagle Dynamics update hangar is our Su-33 for DCS World / Flaming Cliffs 3. This carrier-borne aircraft is in the final stages of receiving a big, FREE update that includes much improved flight dynamics and the addition of several new systems. This will bring our Su-33 much more aligned with its real-world counterpart.

Screen_170704_140250.jpg

Screen_170704_140212.jpg

Screen_170704_135927.jpg

Features of this upcoming Su-33 update include:

• More detailed and accurate simulation of the wing control surfaces that include the leading and trailing edge flaps and the differential ailerons. In addition to the conventional differential stabilizers, canard behavior has also been improved for more realistic behavior. The Flight Control System (FCS) will automatically reconfigure itself depending on the flight mode.

• The adaptations that make the Su-33 aircraft-capable have been updated and improved to include the wing-fold mechanism, reinforced landing gear struts, and the inclusion of high-gain nose wheel steering for use on crowded carrier decks.

• The physical mechanisms by which the arrestor hook engages the aircraft carrier arrestor wire has been greatly improved. Correct physics have been applied to the arrestor wire and its’ interaction with the aircraft.

• The engines now have a “special mode” that adds up to 12,800 kg of thrust (instead of the normal 12,500 kg of thrust). This mode also includes realistic operating time restrictions.

• A new FCS mode used when aerial refueling has also been implemented. When in this mode and the control stick is released, the aircraft will automatically maintain level flight. This FCS mode allows fine-control and thus making it easier to make contact with the tanker within a pitch range of plus or minus 5 degrees and of a roll angle of plus or minus 10 degrees.

• The Auto-Thrust Control (ATC) is used for automatic speed holding and can be fine-tuned with a set speed switch. This can be useful with landing on the carrier.

• The automatic collision avoidance system (“Uvod” mode) is now included and allows safe nap-of-the-earth flying.

I was just about to bitch about and ask what's the status, but thank you ED! Now, the question is, when is it going to be released? Two weeks? ;)

Too bad they couldn't implement the new MFDs that were installed in real-life Su-33s in Syria. Guess its too classified. No worries though, I'm happy with this! :thumbup:

My question is will the new Su-33 update be released for 1.5 and 2.1 or just 2.1?

Looks like the carrier got an overhaul too. :thumbup:

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

The adaptations that make the Su-33 aircraft-capable have been updated and improved to include the wing-fold mechanism, reinforced landing gear struts, and the inclusion of high-gain nose wheel steering for use on crowded carrier decks.

What does "aircraft-capable" mean in this context? ... or did they mean carrier-capable?

Also, what I am missing from this news bit about the Su-33 is the keyphrase "PFM" (professional flight model). We *are* getting a PFM with all this, right? :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Come on guys, obviously a typo.

I too am curious as to the extent of these FM changes, if they represent a complete overhaul to PFM or an incremental improvement towards PFM.

Wouldn't be disappointed either way, but it would help when describing it to others.