Real Spitfire engine sound

Hawkeye60

• ED Team
DCS Merlin SPitfire IX has some sounds from the more aggressive sounding Griffon engine ! This is a huge downside for me for DCS reputation as a good researching sim team.

There are so MANY examples of sounds from these two completely different sounding engines that i cannot understand why they mixed it up !?

A Merlin Spit sounds nice and brave and perhaps a bit louder in the IX while under more boost; P51D as well. BUT a Griffon engine with much more displacement (like DB605) is like day and night !! OMG, even Warthunder did it better .....

Please do not write this silly statement. If you do not know how the sounds were taken in Duxford it remains only your problem...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Here is where we are at.

Weeks later!

I sent the request form to the engineering dept.

I did not get a reply.

I waited...................................................

I sent another e-mail to Miss Tipp.

One week later she responds the the engineer never received the form.

I send the form to her so she may carry it to him.

One week later, he responds with a request number and a Phone number to call to pay the fee.

He will then transfer the audio.

I have to have the phone company UNLOCK the phone line so I may make a international call!

I call the number and after 10 rings, the answering machine picks up.

I leave a message. :cry:

Belgh ... Painful!

I hope they'll get back to you soon.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Payment has been made!

Awaiting the file.

stay tuned...........................

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Payment has been made!

Awaiting the file.

stay tuned...........................

thanks buddy!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes....Bravo Hawkeye for endeavouring to get this sorted for us,it is very much appreciated old chap :thumbup:

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

*raises a glass to hawkeye* well done mate, really appreciate your efforts.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real Spitfire sound wave

Good day all!

The day has arrived!

I hereby donate this sound file to the community.

I hope after all the effort to obtain it that the file proves useful.

The usage of this file should be confined to DCS World and it's aircraft.

This is a condition from the British Library.

This file may not be used for profit or financial gain.

All mods created with this sound file MUST be supplied free.

I encourage any member with better sound editing skills than mine to create the mod!

I await the results!

I have included the declaration from the British library in the zip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojjf5e2ajsny5uj/Real%20Spitfire%20sound%20wave.zip?dl=0

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I encourage any member with better sound editing skills than mine to create the mod!

We'll have new Spitfire sounds in two weeks.;)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Was it 5tuka who did the 109 engine sounds (which are incredible)?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

So,

It has been some time since I posted this sound file.

Has anyone used it in a mod?

If not, why?

Also, if not, what is the best sound mods (engine,weapon,cockpit)

to use?

I know there is personal preference involved but all options would be fun to explore!

Thanks,

Here is to a Happy kill ratio in Normandy!

I took a look at the sound files you put a lot of effort in to getting , but for me they unfortunately were not usable its hard to explain why so ill just say that they didnt contain the right elements to build a suitable in game sound , I couldn't advise you on alternatives because I dont think there are any decent ones out there, sound in aviation games and sims is universally below the standard of poor especially in ww2 sims where the greater majority of people participating have heard a spitfire a mustang a 109 ect in real life but what they are presented with is a highly detailed accurate 3d model that sounds like a lawn mower , I think that if another company similar to ED were to come along and put 25% of the time effort and resources into the sound design of there aircraft , they would wipe the floor of all other sims past and present.

Cheers

Jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

I took a look at the sound files you put a lot of effort in to getting , but for me they unfortunately were not usable its hard to explain why so ill just say that they didnt contain the right elements to build a suitable in game sound , I couldn't advise you on alternatives because I dont think there are any decent ones out there, sound in aviation games and sims is universally below the standard of poor especially in ww2 sims where the greater majority of people participating have heard a spitfire a mustang a 109 ect in real life but what they are presented with is a highly detailed accurate 3d model that sounds like a lawn mower , I think that if another company similar to ED were to come along and put 25% of the time effort and resources into the sound design of there aircraft , they would wipe the floor of all other sims past and present.

Cheers

Jafa

I am currently "typing" on the Spit, Me109, FW190 and the Mustang. Ready for the arrival of Normandy!:D

I have to say I am disappointed by the sound of the dcs Spit? I have spent quite a bit of time in and around airfields and airshows. The sound of the Merlin in a Spit or Hurricane is enough to make my hair (what's left) stand up! Whilst the modelling of the dcs WW2 fighters is good, the sound in my honest opinion is not. In fact I can't tell the difference between the FW190 and the Spit?:cry:

Nevermind, can't have everything:music_whistling:

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

This clip is a start up and taxi clip and not enough to make a sound mod as mentioned. By the way, there exist Spitfire sound mods that use real merlin sounds as well. You just need to look beyond these forums.

The "diveplane" files from Lock on Files, don't look correct. There are no Sdef files in the folder and there is no install text? Don't fancy messing up my DCS install, at least I can fly the Spit, albeit with a Griffon engine sound!!

Best regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

The "diveplane" files from Lock on Files, don't look correct. There are no Sdef files in the folder and there is no install text? Don't fancy messing up my DCS install, at least I can fly the Spit, albeit with a Griffon engine sound!!

Best regards

David

Diveplane's mods are legit- I use both the Spitfire and P-51 sound mods. Just follow the "read-me's" in each, and you're gold! :pilotfly:

Confirm it is legit. It is solid, but some sounds annoyed me so I made a tweak of my own, recording from various sources using Goldwave. But at least you will have proper Merlin sounds. The sound and file structure varies from AC to AC. So the spit has a different setup than the p-51 (Though many similarities)

Diveplane's mods are legit- I use both the Spitfire and P-51 sound mods. Just follow the "read-me's" in each, and you're gold! :pilotfly:

Thanks. This sound mod for the Spit is truly marvellous!:D

Helps my D Day training enormously!

Regards

David

• 5 weeks later...
So,

It has been some time since I posted this sound file.

Has anyone used it in a mod?

If not, why?

Also, if not, what is the best sound mods (engine,weapon,cockpit)

to use?

I know there is personal preference involved but all options would be fun to explore!

Thanks,

Here is to a Happy kill ratio in Normandy!

Thanks a lot for trying, it's a bit sad they could only provide this poor sample. I never did any sound mod, but I suppose they require different parts of sufficient length that the engine sound can shift depending on the desired RPM (frequency), and with enough precision.

I hope we can find such sample, a Spitfire without its own voice feels just wrong.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

@ Jafa

Great sounds Jafa, looking forward to getting my hands on them ! :thumbup::D

And thankyou Hawkeye60 for the trouble you went to for us DCS tragics. Thanks mate !

Edited by Strut

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

AWWWWWWWWESOME!!

All sounds are in game , F15 , spitfire and mustang are virtually done just not quite sure what I want to do with them yet.

Cheers

Jafa

Put them in JSGME format and upload them to DCS, Downloads, User Files with proper names and tags so they can be found easily? :huh:

What's that F-15 thingy? Looks wierd. :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

AWWWWWWWWESOME!!

Put them in JSGME format and upload them to DCS, Downloads, User Files with proper names and tags so they can be found easily? :huh:

You mean the F/A-18 thingy? ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

AWWWWWWWWESOME!!

I think he means should he be making something for his effort in these wonderful creations. Work with the Devs? Charge for a download? Other?

It's easy for us to say just make it available here or here but he has a studio to maintain and what does he get for taking the time out of his busy schedule to create sound mods for free? How does he protect them? Should he protect them?