Ryzen 5 1600X or i5 7600K for DCS

To DCS Community

I am considering building a new gaming PC. One of the more demanding games I will be playing would be DCS : A10C. I typically like to create ridiculously huge battles involving many units using the Mission Editor.

Having found both the Ryzen 5 1600X and the i5 7600K for the same price, I wonder: would the game benefit more from the sheer number of cores of the Ryzen 5, or the single core performance of the i5?

From

Confused Gamer:huh:

P.S. When it comes to DCS, is a faster CPU or better GPU more important? I've heard that it is the GPU that makes a gaming rig, while others say that DCS is a very CPU demanding game.

Single threaded performance will be best for DCS as it only uses one core (sound on another core)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

P.S. When it comes to DCS, is a faster CPU or better GPU more important? I've heard that it is the GPU that makes a gaming rig, while others say that DCS is a very CPU demanding game.

In my experience through upgrades from GTX-750 to GTX-770 and then to GTX-970; and from Core i5-750 to Core i7-870 ... the GPU is more important for DCS.

This is even more so if you want to use VR or 4K monitors, both are far more demanding on the GPU than the CPU ... only if you play on HD is the processor somewhat more important.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

From what I read, Intel is still ahead if you plan to play the game on a 1080p or 1440p machine ; on these resolutions, the GPU will not be the decisive factor, but the CPU will be. However if you plan to play the game at higher resolutions or with VR, then the GPU will make the difference.

As I said on some others topics, Ryzen is future proof thanks to its multi-threading technology. But who knows when ED will update its engine to benefit from multi-cores CPUs ? If you play exclusively on DCS, I'll probably go with Intel ; if you want to use your rig to play various recent and upcoming games, go all-in for AMD's solution.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

New engine using smt :) change to amd or wait coffe lake 8700k with 4.7 ghz turbo

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

Here is the experience from someone that upgraded from an Intel Core i5 to a Ryzen 1700 .... for gaming it seems that it isnt really much of an improvement:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176100/computers/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-a-5-year-old-gaming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Here is the experience from someone that upgraded from an Intel Core i5 to a Ryzen 1700 .... for gaming it seems that it isnt really much of an improvement:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176100/computers/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-a-5-year-old-gaming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

I must admit I smiled while reading the article. I don't get why you would buy a R7 1700 for gaming when a R5 1600X would be a much better fit - better o/c ability and cheaper. As I wrote a few messages ago, for someone planing to use his computer exclusively for gaming at "low" resolutions, Intel is a conservative but effective choice ; but, if you are going to use you computer for gaming at high resolutions/VR and some intensive tasks then Ryzen will simply obliterate the current Intel chips.

Intel is going to answer to AMD's current CPUs in the next few months, but I think this is the right moment to show some support to the competition. They did a fantastic job with Ryzen and they deserve to be praised for it. Plus, if there is an important shift of customers from Intel to AMD, the two companies will offer us better products at better prices to retain their users. In the end, we will benefit from a healthy competition.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I'm in the exact same dilemma. Everything is against the intel except for the fact that DCS couldn't make full use of the AMD's 6 cores.

I'll still go for the Ryzen, even though I almost only play DCS. The i5 is just not a good investment.

I was in exactly the same spot. I mostly play DCS, but still went with Ryzen because LGA1151 has no future upgrade options, but AM4 is just starting life. I have high hopes for Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2, I feel like the next few optimization of this new architecture are going to really refine it and greatly improve the rough around the edges issues it currently has. By buying into a good name brand X370 board now, you should be able to get into these next generations when they arrive.

In terms of DCS performance, I only have issues right now in Normandy with large, many unit missions. I think this will improve as Normandy gets optimized. Nevada and Caucuses run great on my new Ryzen. I've OC'd to 4Ghz (easily hit that, but would not go even to 4.05).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

the small % in IPC difference between Ryzen and Intel I Series isnt enough to visually see any difference in gaming, you will see the difference only in benchmark numbers, but you will not see the difference while playing.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm writing a detailed report on my experience with DCS 1.5 and NTTR with a 1600x and a GTX 1080 TI but probably won't be able to post it today. The very short version is amazing in NTTR at 1440p, good in VR, inconsistent but mostly ok-ish in 1.5 at 1440p and barely playable in VR for 1.5. All that is at stock clocks. I'll try to get the proper report out tomorrow morning.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Buy ryzen, and then get a bigger GPU. Win.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I'm writing a detailed report on my experience with DCS 1.5 and NTTR with a 1600x and a GTX 1080 TI but probably won't be able to post it today. The very short version is amazing in NTTR at 1440p, good in VR, inconsistent but mostly ok-ish in 1.5 at 1440p and barely playable in VR for 1.5. All that is at stock clocks. I'll try to get the proper report out tomorrow morning.

Subscribed:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

the small % in IPC difference between Ryzen and Intel I Series isnt enough to visually see any difference in gaming, you will see the difference only in benchmark numbers, but you will not see the difference while playing.

you wont get any gains playing. they say the games are not optimized for amd ryzen yet.

Im kinda an AMD Insider, pretty sure I know more than most.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

From what I read, Intel is still ahead if you plan to play the game on a 1080p or 1440p machine ; on these resolutions, the GPU will not be the decisive factor, but the CPU will be. However if you plan to play the game at higher resolutions or with VR, then the GPU will make the difference.

As I said on some others topics, Ryzen is future proof thanks to its multi-threading technology. But who knows when ED will update its engine to benefit from multi-cores CPUs ? If you play exclusively on DCS, I'll probably go with Intel ; if you want to use your rig to play various recent and upcoming games, go all-in for AMD's solution.

Multi-cores was mentioned in that last

with wags, I really hope they can atleast bump the AI to another core later on? I understand why you cannot split up other parts of the sim because there so closely tied together and need to be synchronized. Having just the AI on a new core or two? would free up a good amount of resources allowing for much bigger missions with little performance impact, perhpas on the way to handle a bigger Dynamic campaign?

This would be the easiest to move I guess? Sort of how you can use a second PC as a server and speed things up as this 2nd pc looks after the AI in the mission.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Multi-cores was mentioned in that last
with wags, I really hope they can atleast bump the AI to another core later on? I understand why you cannot split up other parts of the sim because there so closely tied together and need to be synchronized. Having just the AI on a new core or two? would free up a good amount of resources allowing for much bigger missions with little performance impact, perhpas on the way to handle a bigger Dynamic campaign?

This would be the easiest to move I guess? Sort of how you can use a second PC as a server and speed things up as this 2nd pc looks after the AI in the mission.

I totally get the point of the difficulties of moving to multi thread architecture for a so complex engine, but i would like at least that ED would give us better options for local multiplayer...i just wish that i have not to buy the terrain and campaign modules twice for having it running on the second pc...a still better option would be the possibility to have a real dedicated server software that can ALSO run on the same machine (achieving a sort of multi-core in this way).

Hope they consider it soon because i think it is just a decision they have to make (to give the possibility to don't have to buy the modules twice for same user)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I'm planing to get ryzen 5 in futur, as for now, I have i5 4670 and had gtx 760, I bought 120gb SSD and gtx 970, since then no lagg spike, stuttring or even bad texture performance, the game is running on semi-ultra with good performance.

for cpu, RYzen is the choice for upcoming games and video makers.

Everyone in this thread has only considered direct CPU performance wrt DCS, which on the face of it seems to be an adequate consideration, but for most of us it really isn't. When you start considering how much you may have running in the background, your OS, other programs perhaps, such as Discord...the future is all about multithreading, and overall system performance will also be about multithreading. It has been going that way for some time, and it is accelerating. Everyone is going to be coding for multiple cores. OSes are going to optimize moreso for more cores.

I only hope DCS eventually gets on the bandwagon.

In that SideStrafe Interview Wags mentions the "core problem" but then abruptly stops talking about it. It seems to me they ( ED ) have seen the need themselves to make use of more cores.

Everything in me points to Ryzen these days, cores, lanes, pricing, performance, rebel heart too

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

it'd be a big recode, dont expect it to just drop in a patch with zero notice, lol

it'd be a big recode, dont expect it to just drop in a patch with zero notice, lol

Oh hell YES, not before 2020 is my guess.

But that one abruptly stopped sentence was a better statement than anyone I got in the forum in regards of SMP and that you cant say NO forever.

It would definitely make sense, as would a dedicated server without the need to buy the maps it hosts.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I thought I read about a leak, revealing Intel's Coffee Lake was going to be dropping clock speed for more cores, like Ryzen. What if there is a clock speed regression, wouldn't that be somewhat destructive for DCS if the fastest processor you can buy is like a 3.6 ghz?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]