Sling loading

Hello there!

I have been recently picking up (pun intended) sling loading, which is by far one of the hardest things to do in DCS, and I was wondering if any of you more hardened veterans had any tips and hints for me on how to handle this complex method in the Mi-8 so I can stop getting the occasional 'cable snapped!' alerts.

Thanks in advance and here is a sexy screenshot for you to enjoy! (Do not mind the rather low FPS that nights' mission gave us, it is usually better, I swear!)

27E3A452BDF53D607EBE32CD51C24EBE1938A55A

Modules: too many

System: I7-7700K, GTX 2080 Super, 64GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD.

I've never had a cable snap with slingloading, sure I've had some cargo damaged but never a cable snap. Speed is the key factor here I think.

Always approach the cargo while flying into the wind, use the smoke from them arker to judge wind if nyou need to. I use the cargo indicator to get above the cargo.

You can use the heading autopilot so you have one axis less to think about, that's personal preference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I use the lazy approach and land near the cargo to attach :)

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

There is also a view outside of the window looking straight down, which is very helpful after you have mastered the art of vertical reference hovering. It is not any more difficult than initially learning to hover and like that, it just takes a lot of time and patience. But once you have figured it out, there is almost nothing you can't do with the Hip!!:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Voice assistance now in English too

Tried sling loading in open beta yesterday and discovered that the voice assistance which used to be only available in Russian is now finally also available in English. Don't know exactly when it was introduced but I'm very pleased to see that. The cargo indicator does not work in VR and isn't realistic anyway, after some short testing I found that the cues from the co pilot really helped a lot and is (for me) absolutely necessary and make sling loading in VR great. So big thanks for that BST!

The English voice does sound very Russian, so that makes it a bit hard to understand but still works.

One problem now is that without the indicator, you can't see where you drop the cargo. So now it's very hard/impossible to unload the cargo on a very tight spot, like on a small roof or one of those posts which are around some airfields. Would it be a possibility in the future to designate a place for the cargo to be dropped and then have the same voice cues guiding the cargo drop?

Using active pause while in flight with a sling load (200kph with 2000kg cargo) is fatal. You immediatly get the rope snapped message, and then catch on fire and slowly burn to death in a cascade of system failures. I'm guessing the Mi-8 active pauses but the cargo keeps on trucking, swings up and wrecks the helicoptor.

• ED Team
Using active pause while in flight with a sling load (200kph with 2000kg cargo) is fatal. You immediatly get the rope snapped message, and then catch on fire and slowly burn to death in a cascade of system failures. I'm guessing the Mi-8 active pauses but the cargo keeps on trucking, swings up and wrecks the helicoptor.

wow! Thanx for bug report!)) we will try reproduce it..

The voice commands seem to depend on which country you fly for, not avionics- or cockpit language. At least that's what I've seen in MP. US = English voice over, Russia = Russian.

Works, thanks. I made Georgia a blue country and set up a SP Mission with Georgian Mi-8 and the voice commands were in english.

Regarding your frame rates - 26 FPS isn't a problem. It's low, but it won't cause issues until it drops below 20-25. Aim for more of course, but if that's your minimum, you have nothing to worry about. Just be aware however that you use the visual feed back loop to control the aircraft, so low rates = slow reactions. High frame rates will give you more exact control, and that is a big concern in sling loading.

Too keep things under control when sling loading, it is best to think ahead of yourself, and be very aware of over controlling. It is a vicious circle - the more the error increases, the more you'll tend to over correct. Be very critical of the time to quit, and start over. Always do it twice as soon as you think you should.

So do things slowly, and only commit when you have 100% control over a situation. It's far easier to abort, circle around and try again than to push on with a rapidly deteriorating set of circumstances. Once you start over controlling it will quickly become utterly uncontrollable.

Bottom line is to practice practice practice. It takes time and patience to overcome the battle of wills between you, the helicopter and gravity.

• ED Team

It's not a bug but feature. Active pause freeze only player's aircraft. All other objects, even connected to human AC, still "alive". If we'll change it, you won't to release weapons when active pause enabled and so on.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.

so, it's no bug!:)

Can you make English subtitles to match the Russian words being spoken for the directions to the sling load please? :thumbup:

I get a subtitle showing "Hovering above cargo" & "cargo hooked", would be excellent to have it for the "forward...3" etc

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Can you make English subtitles to match the Russian words being spoken for the directions to the sling load please?

I get a subtitle showing "Hovering above cargo" & "cargo hooked", would be excellent to have it for the "forward...3" etc

Yes it's a perfect idea because all my Mi-8 are Russian and impossible to understand the voice.

An English subtitle is a perfect choice for us.

Thanks, Skull.

For this I created a mod where I copied all the ENG sounds to RUS folders.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least