after win 10 update usb not working

this all stated last wed.

okay windows 10 did its normal forced update and all of a sudden no kbd or standard mouse or rift sensor detected at logon screen.

this is apparently a thing, i have tried several of the so called fixes but now thinking the creators edition has somehow further complicated the issue. i can delete /remove usb drivers but they seem to magically come back next boot like disabling fast boot no longer seems to well fully disable fast boot any more.

kbd and mouse work in bios okay my steelserries mouse does work but swapping that out for a generic mouse results in a no mouse and kbd at logon screen yet could do stuff in bios?

anyone got any ideas?

l'm getting over using the on screen kbd and no dcs time. :cry:

sorry about the all lower case text.:huh:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

My first, unsubstantiated guess, is that your mouse, keybd, etc. are connected to USB3 ports, which don't start until Windows is fully booted. Win 10 does some very odd things with USB ports.

Make sure you have the latest USB 3 drivers for your motherboard is my best suggestion.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

thanks was worth a try but already had updated the asmedia usb 3.1 host controller drivers. i have gone through all usb drivers and either updated them or win promptly tells me ms has determined the best driver

thought i'd also try the latest bios but that has now asus lost the option for setting the nvme ssd as the boot device but can select it from the bios boot option. come to think of it this asus mb has been a major pia from day one with the pcie nvme ssd.

going to try fresh install on a sata ssd see what happens. ya another weekend of clicking ok dialog boxes. :doh:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I wish you luck. Though I have had some odd issues with USB devices, with Win 10, none of them have been as bad as what you are describing.

The system I am typing on thinks it has four keyboards at the BIOS boot level. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Try booting with ALL usb devices disconnected except a hardwired mouse/keyboard.

Then plug them in one at a time and see if windows detects them correctly.

I had a issue with what I thought was a bad power supply.

One day, no boot at all! This was after a win update during shut down the night before.

Finally by disconnecting ALL usb as above, all worked as before

They all were recognized after this.

Hope this helps.

PS I am running win 10 pro

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Alright thanks looks like my windows is corrupt I have just installed Win 10 on an ssd and now setting up drivers and stuff all working so far.

Yes I had 3 mice and 4 keyboards if I deleted them they would just appear next boot.

Also my DCS would only start up in VR resolution and going to full screen crashed the PC so will try to uninstall modules, copy my log and settings files and maybe start again, it's kinda nice running pre creators update version of WIN 10 and I think I have updates turned off, I think?

Have done the remove USB devices trick even to the point of booting without any USB devices and plugging them back in a generic mouse and keyboard look like they are being setup and windows did promptly say the device were setup but no go when trying to use them.

Also tried the pull the power during boot to force repair but no luck with that.

So seems this will be a weekend of downloading and re installing.

here is a really odd thing with no kbd and mouse windows promptly announces that the user name and or password are incorrect. i just shrug my shoulders and think mmm right?

here is a really odd thing with no kbd and mouse windows promptly announces that the user name and or password are incorrect. i just shrug my shoulders and think mmm right?

That is odd. It sounds like it thinks it getting input from somewhere since it would act that way if you hit return instead of entering a password.

i know does windows suffer schizophrenia? :P

i'm reluctant to blow it away as apart from the usb issue it works fine. :huh:

Things to try,

1) Do you have a restore point saved?

2) Restore dvd?

3) Windows repair disk?

4) Try booting to the cd drive and select repair with the install disk.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Things to try,

1) Do you have a restore point saved?

2) Restore dvd?

3) Windows repair disk?

4) Try booting to the cd drive and select repair with the install disk.

Two through four are pretty much the same as doing a clean install. IIRC, you might save a few driver installations but otherwise that is going to pretty much nuke your system.

1) yeeees,..um noto quote hal 9000, sorry dave i can't do that,.. :music_whistling:

2) mmm no data is okay,.

3 & 4) seems install dvd is so old it's not relevant to creators edition, did try.

all great suggestions thanks. :thumbup:

it seems related to usb 3.0 maybe also 3.1 but if i can usb 3.0 in device manager nothing works but if i can 3.1 it changes nothing.

usb 3.1 asmedia drivers

usb 3.0 ms drivers mmm

i have been going through ms kb articles there is a lot on the issue but no fix for me atm.

the fresh install on another ssd works fine except that until i bring it up to creators version i can't do much unless i can get older driver versions weird i know but thats ms,..

Edited by FragBum
<edit>

I feel your pain. As of 2 days ago i suddenly got a message that latest device (USB 3.0 smart card reader) unplugging from the 3.0 USB didn't disconnect right and that now there is a problem with the 3.0 USB ports on my computer.

USB 3.0 ports will not read USB 3.0 devices anymore but still read USB 1.0 and 2.0 devices...?

USB 1.0 and 2.0 ports both read USB 3.0 devices so my USB 3.0 devices are still in working condition.

Also the USB 3.0 smart card reader still works fine on 1.0 and 2.0 USB ports on my computer and also still on 3.0 ports on another PC so the reader is AOK.

Device Manager shows a problem with the Generic USB 3.0 but in it all seems OK. Uninstalling it removes it from list but it's back on next reboot.

Updating or re-installing USB drivers does not work, Windows even tells me there's no problem with it and that the latest one is installed.

But even then, it gives the error a bit after boot without even plugging something into the USB 3.0 port.

My guess is that there is some sort of error generated which is not resetted by Windows and this keeps it in a sort of a loop for this error.

Big thing is to get out of that loop...

Looked for a solution but until now havn't found anything usefull.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

yes it's interesting and seems not so uncommon. but no real fix.

i don't blame the programmers their tasked with making the machinations of marketing come true. :D

Been flying over this real quick.

Imho, check your BIOS under "BOOT" -->"USB Initialising"

That can be either FULL, PARTIAL or OFF

OFF means NO USB until Windows/OS loaded FULLY ( logged in !!! ) = no keyboard for user + password = BAD !!!

PARTIAL means all but keyboard and mouse will be loaded ONLY after logging in ( could work )

FULL means ALL your USB becomes available from Bios on ( ! that you might wanna try )

In either case, to make it easy for you and the OS: Plug KB and Mouse into a BLACK USB20 port. USB3.x may bug, dpeending on your chipset being used.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

YOur best source for USB drivers is was and will be win-raid.com

That site has all your USB drivers available. You need to check Device Manager for your HW-ID and then search the forum thread for that listing. Once you spent 5 min there its all obvious and intuitiv.

ASmedia 3.x chips WILL NOT let you use USB until the driver has been installed. See tip above, black usb20 for now !!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

thanks bm i'll check that out, usb is fine at boot and with new install of win 10 so to hardware is ok, however after win 10 creator latest update no more rift sensor kbd and generic mouse??

Go to that win-raid.com site and check if you find newer drivers. maybe they have a note attached to it what they fix etc..

Creator's Update messed a few things up, DTC Sound, some USB, etc.. Not too bad all in all but a pita if it hits you personally.

I myself have USB errors these days, with Rift, trying all possible combos where to put which USB..its a BIG PITA

you are not alone buddy

@FragBum - I went in the very same issues myself.

The story starts a while ago when I used some USB extension cables together with some powered USB hubs. Seems that at that point in time the MB have been electrostatically affected somehow and my devices were starting to disconnect and reconnect by themselves. I solved the issue by adding a new USB controller and get rid of any extension cables and hubs.

Recently however, the USB3 from MB ceased to work completely.

I had to change the MB after 5 years of usage and make an upgrade to latest intel generation CPU. With the new MB, my Oculus was reporting strange findings regarding USB2 even they were connected to USB3. This is kind of known issue and it was needed to disable from BIOS the USB compatibility... WIN10 does not like this very much, it seems.

My opinion about your issue is that your MB have some problems which cannot be solved other way then adding PCI-E extension cards for extra USBs. Take care and buy those more expensive and even have a look into Oculus recommendation (they have a preferred one which should work).

Also, check your power management for USB and disable this "feature" for USB... again this is something odd but can sometime solve some problems.

And last but not least... some USB devices are very power hungry and can cause malfunction to USB chipsets. Saitek devices are very well known for this... from joysticks to mouse. I had such a mouse and had this behaviour as well.

Hope this info will help and give some directions to follow to solve your problems.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

yes i had thought of that possibility however i put another ssd in and installed windows and every thing seems to work just fine with the fresh win 10 install.

i havn't allowed the new install to update it was only to prove the hardware.

the giveaway was after an update oculus complained about the driver but still worked for a few days. then the other day i jumped on the forum typed out a reply then went to start dcs and no sensor detected. shut down an restarted, windows promptly said it had completed an update and i couldn't login using the keyboard.

most people don't get any usb functionality, in my case in device manager my pedals and cyclic/collective showed up as normal but kbd andmouse and rift sensor were flagged as having issues. however my steelserries rival mouse works somehow, however i tried a generic mouse and it does not work in its current state.

rant on

for me this is the pinnacle of arrogance for microsoft and hate to say it they are making apple seem almost reasonable. the more i look at the microsoft knowledge base on this issue the more obvious it is that they know they have an issue in windows cretin edition but are just being a-holes about it.

rant off :cry:

this is how lame win 10 is, i figure i might as well have a go of battle front so i plug in my xbox elite controller and windos says no worries installing controller, then tells me it's ready for use,.. well actually no, no it's not.

i get 2 entries enumerated an unknown device with exclamation mark and an xbox peripherals. :(

Exclamation Mark sign was similar for me for the extra-controller I have added.

Without trying to be an Microsoft defender, is not fair to compare it with Apple. While Apple have just few hardware devices to be adapted too.... Windows need to cover almost any hardware in the world... and this was since forever the biggest Microsoft challenge.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my current setup have 0 issues with USBs right now. Software problems before were related to hardware malfunctions.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Exclamation Mark sign was similar for me for the extra-controller I have added.

Without trying to be an Microsoft defender, is not fair to compare it with Apple. While Apple have just few hardware devices to be adapted too.... Windows need to cover almost any hardware in the world... and this was since forever the biggest Microsoft challenge.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my current setup have 0 issues with USBs right now. Software problems before were related to hardware malfunctions.

Yes perhaps so. ;)

Since it has not been mentioned before.

If you have overclocked your 6th, 7th or 8th gen i5/i7 then you might need to tweak your VCC-IO voltage setting, in conjunction with VCC-SA.

That VCC-IO controls as the name suggests your I/O singnal strength and is very very picky when it comes to overclocking ( more vCore ) and USB. This is a well known circumstance that you have to take care about.

If you overclock from Bios, you may try a few default runs with CPU and all Volts on default and check if your USB problem vanishes. if it does, then you know you have a VCC-IO issue at higher vCore values.

VCC-IO and VCC-SA should be not further than 0.1v apart, default is 0.95 for IO and 1.05 for SA ( 7th + 8th gen, 6th's I forgot but iirc its the same values )

Be warned, do not just RAISE it, do it in very small steps cause this one, this one needs to be spot on, if you overshoot the volts it will get worse again. YOu can read it up in google and get some basic values for CPU's <4.8, 5G and beyond 5G.

Raise those 2 together, if you UP your I/O you also UP your SA.

USB goes haywire id that value is too far off.