[WIP] C-135FR - French tanker mod for DCS

[WIP] C-135FR - French tanker mod for DCS  

74 members have voted

1. 1. [WIP] C-135FR - French tanker mod for DCS

• I won't download an unfinished model
    • Solid colors are enough
    • The 3D model is more important
    • I don't care

As you probably know, aerial refueling in DCS is quite limited right now.

We have 1 boom tanker (KC-135) and 2 drogue tankers (S-3 and IL-78M).

But with the incoming modules like F/A-18C and Harrier, NATO drogue tankers are becoming a serious need.

So I started (few month ago) the "C-135FR for DCS" project !

(And asked for help here !)

93-CK_20040905_004.jpg

The C-135FR is a modified KC-135 with the Multi-Point Refuel System (MPRS) and a Boom to Drogue Adapter (BDA).

Its frame and motorization are almost identical to the KC-135 last versions (i.e. the DCS tanker).

That should be simple !

Well ... yes and no ...

What is DONE :

• Added to DCS 1.5
  • Added to France aircraft list
  • Added to refueling aircrafts
  • Added TACAN and radio comms (thanks cdpkobra !)
  • Created basic but quite detailed external 3D model
  • Made the mod JSGME compatible

What is IN PROGRESS :

• Forums threads
  • Get a good 3D model (w/ textures)

What is PLANNED :

• Make it work in DCS 2.X
  • Rigging + animation of most important elements (refuel system, flight control surfaces)
  • Rigging + animation of least important elements (landing gear, flaps, spoilers)
  • Make a nice theme for DCS

What is NOT POSSIBLE (and why) :

• Hybrid tanker (boom & drogues)
    (Need access to tanker main code in DCS)
  • Make it flyable
    (Need access to tanker and refuel main code in DCS)

What is SUGGESTED :

• Feel free to suggest !

In theory this project is mostly done and should be easily finished but the wall I need to pass through is the 3D model.

I'm not a 3D artist so I can't really hope to get a finished product by myself. Maybe the rigging and animations are things I can deal with, I don't know until I can try :D

If you are interested in this project and can help me with the 3D (if you're an artist or if you know one), send me a message !

I'll keep this thread up-to-date and post a link to download the mod when it will be "useful".

"If someone want to fly, are wings going to grow in his back ? No. But enough will can lead to success. This is an important thing in life."

I'd be very pleased to see this. And also the KC-135 boom adapter. We're also getting a Hercules mod with the AV-8B N/A.

An Airbus tanker would be good too. It was on VEAOs dream list, but that's now all gone by the board, so if anyone were to put one together - I for one would be delighted.

Snoopy : I know about the BDA but the problem here is that I can't modify an already existing DCS model. Otherwise it would be the easiest solution !

NeilWillis : it should be easy to use this mod as a base for an Airbus tanker ;)

"If someone want to fly, are wings going to grow in his back ? No. But enough will can lead to success. This is an important thing in life."

You do realize that UsAF KC-135s have an adaptor that can be put on the boom? Doesn’t need anything to fancy and probably a much quicker update to the current model than having to add wing pods.

As he said above, this would require access to the tanker/refueling code.

Just a thought, despite the C-135FR normally carrying the BDA on the boom, simultaneous refueling on all three is restricted due to clearance issues.

A consideration would be to have a MPRS config with the boom up and stowed, using only the wing pod hoses. And a second config with the just the BDA down, but MPRS pods loaded on the jet, but not usable. This may save you the headache of having to code 3 different refueling zones. Even the stock IL-78 has the centerline drogue inop.

When they deployed to NATO ops alongside our KC-135R/Ts, they left the boom open for opportune boom AR or actual ATO tasking.

ST0RM you're saying something quite interesting. I can't get an hybrid boom/drogue config on the same plane because of the tanker/refuel code, however I can make multiple versions of the plane (MPRS or boom operation).

What I'm concerned about is how I should make the versions and if it's useful to use only the BDA ... Maybe MPRS and boom (without BDA) versions are the more relevant for now.

If ED staff read this : do you have any plans on improving the tanker modding capabilities of DCS ?

Could be really helpful for this like boom + drogues :D

ST0RM you're saying something quite interesting. I can't get an hybrid boom/drogue config on the same plane because of the tanker/refuel code, however I can make multiple versions of the plane (MPRS or boom operation).

What I'm concerned about is how I should make the versions and if it's useful to use only the BDA ... Maybe MPRS and boom (without BDA) versions are the more relevant for now.

If ED staff read this : do you have any plans on improving the tanker modding capabilities of DCS ?

Could be really helpful for this like boom + drogues :D

Glad I could help, in a small way.

Hopefully it sets you on the correct path.

• 2 weeks later...
A KC-135 with probe and drogue is coming:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3286297#post3286297

And that's how you destroy someone's dream :D

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

As I understand it, the project is going to just put the drogue on the boom and there are no plans to add the additional drogue pods out on the wing tips.

they already have the pods modelled, textured and animated, be easier to mount them and make a new tanker with wing pods than to modify the existing with an attachment and have conflicts.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs