Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Hans-Joachim Marseille

I'll have to watch the videos tonight. I'm not really hyped about the game but very curious. I've never played an RPG that wasn't fantasy before.

And I'll also admit I'm disappointed that it will be singleplayer only. I'd love to have the opportunity to have realistic medieval combat against other people as well. There was some game like that a while ago but I can't remember its name....

And I admit I haven't read many books in that setting, except a tiny bit of documentary literature 20 years ago. I think I may have to read some more.

Who can recommend me some books about that era? I'd prefer nonfiction, but I'll also read fictional texts if they are accurate concerning the nonfictional parts.

Now I feel a bit better about it. Even if all the high tier (above 1000 pounds) people withdraw the million stretch goal is still full. Almost 50k above the million now. :)

EDIT: Still counting! 1M57k

Next stretch goal at 1.2M: better voice acting... meh. Dunno if I like the idea of spending much money just to get some Hollywood guy to do the voice acting. Better include Multiplayer! :D

Edited by Aginor

• 3 years later...

It is indeed! It's been a long time since I enjoyed a game this much (apart from DCS of course ;))!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I kickstarted KCD, and I have to say that I am more than impressed.

The game obviously requires a hefty PC to run it properly, and the combat system has a lot of getting used to. At first glance the combat system seems uneventful and clumsy, but personally having some limited experience in HEMA I can say that the game captures the real thing in great enough detail that it feels authentic. The same can be said about the feel of archery in game - meaning that the bow is a very unforgiving and difficult to hit with. Different bows shoot arrows differently, different arrows fly differently... but when you hit the bow actually does something (Looking at you Elder Scrolls!)

And hey! Tired of the games that have your enemies "surrender" in a fight only to stab you in the back a bit later... not the case here! You can actually have an opponent surrender, you spare them and they actually flee

It still has the odd bug here and there, but overall it works and the game is mechanically sound. I have long waited for a game that makes RPG mechanics fit a real-ish conversation (= it's not just about the stats), and a game that takes into account your attaire, smudges in your face and gear as part of social interaction. Your charisma increases with your skill but also with your appearance, and your intimidation grows with your physical prowess as well as how menacing your armour and weapons look. This gives a reason to carry more than a single set of clothes too! And the numbers aren't the only thing that matters, but the choice of the line you say!

And after getting frustrated with money in most RPG's (nothing ever costs much in other games) my jaw dropped when I first saw the prices of decent armour.

I'm not that far into the game yet, so I don't know how the story works in mid-game nor late-game. What I can say is that I've rarely seen characters so multi-dimentional as in KCD. NPC's have motivations... jerk-like characters have likable sides to them... people respond mostly logically and in a human way. If The Witcher -series is a gritty gray-moral game with multiple ways for things to go wrong... well. KCD is sort of the same as in things are not black-and-white, but contrary to The Witcher in KCD I've been reminded that characters have good sides in addition to the darker sides so prominent in The Witcher.

The last aspect, being somewhat of a medieval-nut (even though I don't do actual research myself!), is that the game is clearly infused with a lot of history and historical evidence. KCD is effectively a live historybook and a timetravel device into medieval Europe. The game has historical depth, character depth, mechanical depth and - apparently so far - story depth to make up a great package if you can run the game proper.

With the caveat that A) all these are my personal opinions, B) I kickstarted the game so I might have some bias and C) I have not played the game through yet - I highly recommend this and consider it already as a major success and a breath of fresh air in the RPG genre.

The only real negative is the required performance, manifesting into a host of graphical anomalies if you can't crank settings high enough - particularly a lot of texture/model pop-in. Gameplay-wise so far the game works very, very well.

I'd say this is a kickstart gold nugget if I ever saw one.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron