Cold start training

Redglyph

I like the way some of the items are set in the cold start training, mostly at the beginning. Items are highlighted (even though this highlight usually makes the item barely visible, but that's a DCS issue), and

- either the user has to change the setting, then the training automatically goes on,

- or the user has nothing to do, and the training goes on after a short pause.

But after a few items, the coherency breaks down, there are a few issues that would merit some attention :)

1) There is no voice for the data cartridge insertion, unlike all other items.

2) Sometimes the user has to press SPACEBAR, sometimes not, sometimes a cockpit settings has to be changed and it's detected automatically, sometimes not. In the case of the lights, it's a mix of both, it's detected but yet the user has to press SPACEBAR and the training only goes on if all the lights are set correctly (by the way, I don't think the formation lights are necessary at this point). All that is confusing and it would be best to keep a consistent approach to how the training continues / pauses.

3) The "visible pin" of the trim which appears when it's centered is lost on me, what pin, where?

4) The "Hud visible glass position" highlighted pointer is at the wrong place (way below the control position).

5) The magnetic declination knob is unreadable, I can't tell its current setting. Also, magnetic declination has a sign +/-, it should be mentioned.

6) The engine starting part: "Keep the switched pressed for two seconds and the start sequence should begin automatically". A lot of problems with this sentence:

- keep the "switch", not "switched",

- it's not a press switch, it's a toggle switch, so it's not possible to maintain it pressed,

- if I put it to ON, then OFF after 2 seconds, the startup sequence does not work, so I'm not sure what those 2 seconds are all about,

- "the start sequence should begin automatically", it's not starting automatically since we have to toggle a switch for that.

7) "Press SPACEBAR to contrinue" (also a mix of "Press SPACEBAR to continue." / "Press SPACEBAR TO CONTINUE." / "Press SPACEBAR to continue" / "Press SPACE to continue.", but that's not a real issue),

8) "The next lesson will be on how to taxi to the runway and taking off".

Edited by Redglyph
some more

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Similarly, the last training mission on CCIP bombing is behaving yet differently, by checking the settings and continuing if/when they're OK. This is IMHO the best way to do, but this training mission does it too quickly and the dialogue is interrupted many times.

=> there should be a minimum delay to make sure the dialogue is said, especially when the settings are already preset correctly.

This was with DCS 2.5.3.24436

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR