Need help with bombing in radar release mode

corvinus

I have tested the mission and RR further and now I think I was right that this release mode is semiauto.

I have played the mission 3 times same speed same altitude, same time pressing release etc. so everything the same. Except I set different QFEs

1st test run - I set the accurate QFE of the target waypoint I set my speed to 8.4 mach and pressed release at right after the waypoint distance instrument went below 3km. It was a perfect hit.

2nd test run- I have done everything the same except QFE set to higher(wrong QFE) so the settings was higher and the computer expected we are on a higher altitude from the ground and guess what happened the bombs fall short and it felt the release happened sooner.

3rd test run - I have set the QFE lower(wrong QFE) so the computer expected we are on lower altitudes than in reality than the bombs fall long and it felt the release happened later.

So if the release button press was done at the same time with same speed same alt and the release happened the same time (so manual release) than this could only happen if the bombs would have some computer guided surface to make them fly differently (as far as I know these are simple bombs so they don't have anything like that) or it happened because the release time was controlled by the computer.

Than I have tried all of this(3 test above) on lower speed (0.7mach) also and the result was the same why I felt also that the computer also try to calculate the lower speed so every release happened a bit later. So I am pretty sure the release is semiauto .

After I practiced this a lot by now I think that its the most accurate while going above 0.8 mach with a very precise QFE set and release pressed at about 2.8km from the target waypoint(waypoint distance instrument )

Ahh and I also realized you don't have to enter any code (I guess the 251 is set as default in DCS so it doesn't have be entered)

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I have tested the mission and RR further and now I think I was right that this release mode is semiauto.

I have played the mission 3 times same speed same altitude, same time pressing release etc. so everything the same. Except I set different QFEs

1st test run - I set the accurate QFE of the target waypoint I set my speed to 8.4 mach and pressed release at right after the waypoint distance instrument went below 3km. It was a perfect hit.

I see, remember the RR modes has two submodes: radar release and nav release. If you time your trigger moment on the distance indicator gauge you are essentially doing a nav release kind of thing. This also works for me. Try to remove the waypoint and see if you can hit the target ;-)

Without a waypoint you have to use the PPI only (no distance indicator guage to help you). As the 3 km indicator on the PPI is a bit misplaced, the bombs fall long.

Yes it does look like the cross is misplaced. Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the replies . Its a bit more clear now how it should work. :D

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I see, remember the RR modes has two submodes: radar release and nav release. If you time your trigger moment on the distance indicator gauge you are essentially doing a nav release kind of thing. This also works for me. Try to remove the waypoint and see if you can hit the target ;-)

Without a waypoint you have to use the PPI only (no distance indicator guage to help you). As the 3 km indicator on the PPI is a bit misplaced, the bombs fall long.

But now we know why thanks to the official reply. Sorry I haven't tried navigation bombing before nor this so I had no idea that its the same. I just found away to hit the targets in your track. but even if its misplaced we could be able to adapt and find out which position is the 3km using the PPI. I guess this mode is there to correct small navigation errors than.

Edit: so I have tested and talked about Nav bombing the entire time everybody here seems familiar with . Now I feel dumb. :D

Edited by Sharkh

But now we know why thanks to the official reply. Sorry I haven't tried navigation bombing before nor this so I had no idea that its the same. I just found away to hit the targets in your track. but even if its misplaced we could be able to adapt and find out which position is the 3km using the PPI. I guess this mode is there to correct small navigation errors than.

Edit: so I have tested and talked about Nav bombing the entire time everybody here seems familiar with . Now I feel dumb. :D

No need to feel dumb, this was still a useful discussion! Moreover, it led to the discovery of a bug!

• 5 months later...

I need help figuring this mode out, my bombs always seem to go long and i don't think its just the radarcross being out of alignment. Because even when nav bombing, with either the target-point set in the mission editor or placed with the radar, the bombs always go long.

Attached is a track of me trying four different ways of using the RR mode in OB build 2.5.4.26825,

First is a regular nav bomb on the waypoint placed in the mission editor. first two bombs hit, rest go long

Second is a toss bomb on the same waypoint, goes long (could be due to my execution)

Third is a radar release on a second group which goes long

and last is another level Nav bomb with the waypoint placed on the second group using the radar, which also goes long.

In the end i verify that the targetpoint is more or less on the targets. I don't expect pin point accuracy with any of these delivery methods but I'd at least thought the bomb track would be somewhat centered on the target, as it is now, the first bombs seem the hit and the rest go long.

ViggenRR.trk

• 1 year later...

I’ve been following the manual and chucks guides and I have no cross on the radar like I’ve seen on videos and pictures does anybody know what I’m doing wrong?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV