[REPORTED] Error in Ground Effect?

TheFlyingGear

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying third mission of the 'Serpents Head' Campaign you got to 'evade' SAMs flying as low as possible from Kutaisi to Gori.

Low and fast.

This is when I for the first time had the 'experience' of this Bug. 'Pull up, pull up' I was already pulling but because of rising terrain for a few seconds at +400Kts I got below 50ft agl - and as of a sudden - baaam like I got sucked into the ground. First of I thought of some high speed stall but then again - I wasn't supersonic nor at high AoA - just low and fast...

Will try to regenerate to get some .trks

I’ve been following this thread since it’s creation, and also have experienced this anomaly at low level over the ground and carrier deck. I also agree with the poster that makes the case against ground effect, and I’ll go a step further and say it’s not the burble when experiencing it during carrier landings. I’ve been doing nothing but traps lately and each and every time when a few feet over the deck I’ve watched the AOA go from on speed to fast with no pitch input from me. I never had noticed this till recently. I really hope this is fixed soon, I wouldn’t be surprised if this has contributed to a quite a few bolters.

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

FM programmer is busy doing something else. Wags said that the FM will get a revision after he finish his current tasks.

Regardless... we never got a [REPORTED], [CAN'T REPRODUCE], [FIXED INTERNALLY], [ALREADY KNOWN] or even just a [NOT A BUG]. So probably not even at ED anyone knows if this is being worked on or not. All we have is hope they are aware of. Too bad there are tons of issues that at least seem to be completely ignored by both the devs and the moderators. If they're not ignored, it's fine.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hi,

Same here, on my track you can noticed on the HUD, the vertical speed is positive before / while the plane is strongly attracted by the ground.

Best Regards

PS: would it be possible to simply reverse? something like a typo as a "+" has become a "-"?

For the F15 is the ground effect simulated?

The plane descends slowly until the crash (check tracks).

Should not it be pushed back by the ground?

By cons it is not strongly attracted to the ground as the F18

Ground effect03.trk

Ground effect F15.trk

Ground effect F15 external.trk

Is any work being done on this? It's really ruining my carrier passes. I'll have a good, maybe slightly high, ball all the way down to the run down, then as soon as I cross the run down my jet gets sucked down by a tractor beam for a 1 or 2 wire when I should have had a 3 or 4 wire.

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed this just yesterday on the Blue Flag server.

I was flying very low over the sea, at around 40 ft, the airplane started to get sucked down, I had to pull very hard to keep it from hitting the water. The same thing happened every time I got below ~40 ft. Very strange.

This is exactly what happened to me last night on Blueflag except I wasn't so lucky.

Having come across this thread I must say it's very disappointing to see ED turn a blind eye to this issue. Almost 7 months without comment is appalling.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

I've noticed this too and found the best way to see it happen is to fly over the deck of the Stennis going 350 knots. I need to pull like a mad man to stop it from going into the water.

Same here.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I also noticed the F-5 suffers from this as well. Is this a common thing with Belsimek aircraft?

Well remembered Strikeeagle345, I also noticed that on F-5 :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Well remembered Strikeeagle345, I also noticed that on F-5 :thumbup:

The flight model team must be either misinformed how ground effect works or they are putting the values in wrong / opposite of what they should be.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I'm wondering if this was something that was programmed in to simulate the burble (i.e. disturbed airflow from the carrier island), but they didn't know how to program it specific to the carrier and it just happens any time you get close to the ground/deck. If that's the case, I think we'd all agree it'd be best to remove it entirely.

I'm wondering if this was something that was programmed in to simulate the burble (i.e. disturbed airflow from the carrier island), but they didn't know how to program it specific to the carrier and it just happens any time you get close to the ground/deck. If that's the case, I think we'd all agree it'd be best to remove it entirely.

it happens on the F-5 too (same developers) so i think it was just done incorrectly.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

This is interesting because the other day I made these two gifs while I was testing this odd nose dive on touchdown. Probably exactly what is happening here, there carrier ends up pulling the nose down due to the inverse ground effect.

The first is MIL power just before touchdown and the second is MIL on the ramp.

no_hands_touchdown.gif

no_hands_groove.gif

I just realized the throttle movement has nothing to do with the dip on touchdown. I tried it not moving the throttle at all as well as moving it to idle and the same thing in the first gif occurs.

Edited by Razi
New info